Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Ryan Air Racist

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Is this really news? Nasty racist bloke on a plane acts like an arse. Basically a storm in a teacup.

It's news because a black women has had to move seat to placate a man shouting racist abuse. No surprise it's been picked up widely by the American press who had similar problems with buses in the 50s.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
To be fair, we only have that video to go by. It really doesn't look good and some of the language used was way out of line. but... surely we should be waiting until we have the full story, witness statements etc before we dust off the pitch forks?

surely what was in the video, the mans insults and the attitude of the attendent, are enough?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The man who filmed the incident has been on BBC Breakfast this morning. He filmed it because he said this has been going on for decades.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Depends what outcome you want I suppose.

It is a crime to insult someone because of their ethnicity. It's nothing to do with wanting any sort of outcome.
The anger is because Ryanair made the woman move, and placated the man. That's why many many people are saying they will boycott Ryanair.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is a crime to insult someone because of their ethnicity. It's nothing to do with wanting any sort of outcome.
The anger is because Ryanair made the woman move, and placated the man. That's why many many people are saying they will boycott Ryanair.
And all power to them, I fully agree that she should not have been moved and he should have been removed from the plane. What we saw in that video was simply not on. However, I am also interested to know if he wanted her to move because she was black or if he was using racial insults during an argument.

Before we know what further punishment should be laid on this bloke I think we should know the full story, his background and possibly mental state. How else can we make a fully informed decision?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And all power to them, I fully agree that she should not have been moved and he should have been removed from the plane. What we saw in that video was simply not on. However, I am also interested to know if he wanted her to move because she was black or if he was using racial insults during an argument.

Before we know what further punishment should be laid on this bloke I think we should know the full story, his background and possibly mental state. How else can we make a fully informed decision?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Why does a nasty person have to have mental issues? That's as insulting to those who are suffering mental illnesses, as using skin colour.

It takes two to argue, and I don't hear much from the woman at all. She is trying to sit down, in the seat near him, not even right next to him. He doesn't want her anywhere near him.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Why does a nasty person have to have mental issues? That's as insulting to those who are suffering mental illnesses, as using skin colour.

I didn't say he had mental issues I just suggested the possibility. His reaction seems to me to be way over the top so it makes me wonder if there is more to the story.

I am really struggling to see what is wrong with the idea of getting all the facts before passing judgement on this bloke?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I despair at reactions like this (not you - the 'many people').

The Ryanair cabin crew member has, by the looks of things, handled this really badly. Under pressure to get everyone sat down, with the minimum fuss, and the plane in the air, presumably - but he still had to make a call - and he made a very poor one.

But he is one member of staff, acting on the spot. People react like it is a corporate policy - like Michael O'Leary himself has instructed all staff, to remove any unfortunate black people who manage to sneak their way onto his planes.

Ryanair corporately, should absolutely be judged harshly, if their response to this incident is inadequate / inappropriate. Mass boycotts, falling share prices, and staff losing their livelihoods, over one spur of the moment bad call, by a single member of staff, would be a completely disproportionate response.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I didn't say he had mental issues I just suggested the possibility. His reaction seems to me to be way over the top so it makes me wonder if there is more to the story.

I am really struggling to see what is wrong with the idea of getting all the facts before passing judgement on this bloke?

Read the article, and watch the video I posted just now in post 52. It explains a lot more.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You could, but he didn’t. He just stood back and sought the high ground with a few comments from behind the screen.

Let’s face it, in this case we’re talking about a fat old man. You could afford to show a bit of aggression towards him, safe in the knowledge it isn’t going to escalate into something you can get in trouble for.

I get what you're saying, but there were at least three other people already talking to him. Another voice wouldn't have added much, IMO. In fact it might have been the tipping point that WOULD meant it escalated into something you can get in trouble for.

Personally, the more people that see the video of the daft racist and read about what happened, the better.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
That's the trouble with public transport......the public are on it. The bucket airlines do seem to attract a lower quality of passenger.

Tomorrows chip papers though. I'm sure the "boycott" won't last long.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
That's the trouble with public transport......the public are on it. The bucket airlines do seem to attract a lower quality of passenger.

Tomorrows chip papers though. I'm sure the "boycott" won't last long.

Or just people who don't want to pay out the nose for a two hour flight :shrug:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Caused entirely by Ryanair.An old lady with disabilities like hers should have been seated with the stewards,as her lack of movement is a hazard to all the other passengers.Doesn't excuse the man's disgusting behaviour though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here