Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Asian Games and Asia Cup.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I notice that Son has been released by Spurs to play in the Asian Games this month.
I new we would lose Ali and Mat Ryan for the Asia Cup games in Jan/Feb next year but had not realised ther were games in August as well. Iran have sent a team for the football tournament in the Aug Asia games but I have not heard anything about Ali being called up for them.
Anyone shed some light ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I notice that Son has been released by Spurs to play in the Asian Games this month.
I new we would lose Ali and Mat Ryan for the Asia Cup games in Jan/Feb next year but had not realised ther were games in August as well. Iran have sent a team for the football tournament in the Aug Asia games but I have not heard anything about Ali being called up for them.
Anyone shed some light ?

Australia won't be in the Asian Games, because Australia is not in Asia.

(Australia IS in the FIFA Asia Cup, as Australia IS in FIFA's Asia confederation, because FIFA are spineless pricks and allowed them to 'choose' federations to ease World Cup qualification)

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007

(Australia IS in the FIFA Asia Cup, as Australia IS in FIFA's Asia confederation, because FIFA are spineless pricks and allowed them to 'choose' federations to ease World Cup qualification)

What about Iran and Ali ?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

No idea, I'm afraid.

I do know that (like the Olympics) the football at the Asian Games, is an U23 competition (Alireza is not that), but they are allowed a couple of over-aged players.

Bloody hope not.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I don't know why Oceania isn't just swallowed up by the AFC to be honest. As much as you call FIFA spineless pricks for letting them choose, how is the Australian game supposed to develop when the only Oceanic opposition are New Zealand and a bunch of barely habited islands where the diet is flightless seabirds?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't know why Oceania isn't just swallowed up by the AFC to be honest. As much as you call FIFA spineless pricks for letting them choose, how is the Australian game supposed to develop when the only Oceanic opposition are New Zealand and a bunch of barely habited islands where the diet is flightless seabirds?

FIFA's remit is to govern and develop the game globally. Do you think that development of the game in New Zealand, and those 'barely inhabited islands' is going to be accelerated by removing the best side, and only nation with a functioning professional league? Should Mexico be able to join the South American confederation, because they've no decent competition in CONCACAF?

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Looks like they should all be U23 teams so Ali not required.

I assume Son is going as an overage player to try and get a pardon from national service if they win.

Can't imagine why Son would want to avoid being shot at by the North Koreans just to play football for 100k a week.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
FIFA's remit is to govern and develop the game globally. Do you think that development of the game in New Zealand, and those 'barely inhabited islands' is going to be accelerated by removing the best side, and only nation with a functioning professional league?
No, which is why I think Oceania should be absorbed by the AFC.

Should Mexico be able to join the South American confederation, because they've no decent competition in CONCACAF?
They have - certainly compared to Australia in Oceania. Regardless, I have no objection to them holding tournaments jointly with Conmebol, which is exactly what they did in 2016.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No, which is why I think Oceania should be absorbed by the AFC.

They have - certainly compared to Australia in Oceania. Regardless, I have no objection to them holding tournaments jointly with Conmebol, which is exactly what they did in 2016.

Effectively, you are advocating scrapping the confederations?

Just keep merging them, into massive super-confederations? It means the likes of New Zealand and other smaller nations would never qualify for the WC, which would be shit.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Effectively, you are advocating scrapping the confederations?
Don't be such a drama queen. I'm advocating doing away with ONE confederation, or more accurately, making it a sub-confederation of AFC.

Just keep merging them, into massive super-confederations? It means the likes of New Zealand and other smaller nations would never qualify for the WC, which would be shit.
Whereas it worked a TREAT when one of Aus/NZ inevitably won the Oceania group only to have to play a Conmebol nation in a play off - which they only ever won once, which in itself is hardly surprising seeing as they never got to play meaningful opposition until that point.

And how exactly does Oceania benefit Vanatu or Samoan football? Are you suggesting the current status quo currently DO have a chance of qualifying for the WC then? Because it seems to me only Australia and New Zealand ever had the chance in the first place. At least with absorbing Oceania, those small Pacific islands are exposed to half decent sides other than Aus/NZ.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Don't be such a drama queen. I'm advocating doing away with ONE confederation, or more accurately, making it a sub-confederation of AFC.

Whereas it worked a TREAT when one of Aus/NZ inevitably won the Oceania group only to have to play a Conmebol nation in a play off - which they only ever won once, which in itself is hardly surprising seeing as they never got to play meaningful opposition until that point.

They had to play off when qualification was for a 24, then 32 team WC. Now it is being expanded Oceana will get a guaranteed place.

I look forward to the first WC when New Zealand are there as Oceana winners (beating the Solomon Islands to qualify) and Australia fail to qualify against improving Asian opposition. I'll laugh like a drain at the opportunist chancers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They had to play off when qualification was for a 24, then 32 team WC. Now it is being expanded Oceana will get a guaranteed place.

I look forward to the first WC when New Zealand are there as Oceana winners (beating the Solomon Islands to qualify) and Australia fail to qualify against improving Asian opposition. I'll laugh like a drain at the opportunist chancers.
The fact that might happen says more about the shambles that is the 48 tournament than it does about the way confederations are organised. Meanwhile, have you laughed like a drain at the way Australia has qualified for every single 32 team WC since they moved to the AFC in 2006? What makes you think they won't qualify for a 48 tournament via the AFC then? :dunce:

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Australia is moving towards being able to compete in the Asian games. By 2022 we will most likely be close to being a full member.

Australia is now being considered part of Asia in more than just football at international levels. A-League teams play in the AFC Champions League.

Australian Basketball is part of FIBA Asia. Volleyball Australia is playing in the Asian Championships.

The times they are a changin'.

Some Indonesian Islands are closer to Oz than England is to all of Eastern Europe.

Last edited:

jahanbakhsh_fan

Jul 24, 2018
Iran sent their U21 to this tournament. This is the list with the players which are invited:

Keeper: Mehdi Amini (22/Paykan), Shahab Adeli (21/Sepahan)

Defender: Shahin Abbasian (21/Persepolis), Mehdi Rahimi (19/Sepahan), Alireza Arta (21/Mes Kerman), Aref Aghasi (21/Foolad Khuzestan), Mohammad Moslemipour (21/Tractor Sazi), Abolfazl Razzaghpour (20/Paykan)

Midfielder: Mohammad Soltani (19/Saipa), Mohammad Khodabandeleou (18/Paykan), Mehdi Mehdikhani (21/Padideh), Sina Zamehran (21/Padideh), Ahmadreza Ahmadvand (20/Moghavemat)

Attacker: Mehdi Ghaedi (19/Esteghlal), Younes Delfi (17/Esteghlal Khuzestan), Mohammad Amin Asadi (19/Persepolis), Amir Roostaei (21/Paykan), Mohammad Reza Azadi (18/Tractor Sazi), Reza Jabireh (21/Sanat Naft)

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
Iran sent their U21 to this tournament. This is the list with the players which are invited:

Keeper: Mehdi Amini (22/Paykan), Shahab Adeli (21/Sepahan)

Defender: Shahin Abbasian (21/Persepolis), Mehdi Rahimi (19/Sepahan), Alireza Arta (21/Mes Kerman), Aref Aghasi (21/Foolad Khuzestan), Mohammad Moslemipour (21/Tractor Sazi), Abolfazl Razzaghpour (20/Paykan)

Midfielder: Mohammad Soltani (19/Saipa), Mohammad Khodabandeleou (18/Paykan), Mehdi Mehdikhani (21/Padideh), Sina Zamehran (21/Padideh), Ahmadreza Ahmadvand (20/Moghavemat)

Attacker: Mehdi Ghaedi (19/Esteghlal), Younes Delfi (17/Esteghlal Khuzestan), Mohammad Amin Asadi (19/Persepolis), Amir Roostaei (21/Paykan), Mohammad Reza Azadi (18/Tractor Sazi), Reza Jabireh (21/Sanat Naft)

Many Thanks for that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here