Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Child of the 70's? What was your favourite....

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
crisps-snaps.jpg

I remember when these were 2p a bag! :ohmy:

While hunting for the Snaps image I came across these which I remember well

football-crazy.jpg

That artwork! :lolol:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Born in 63...

TV: Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Magpie, Crossroads & wrestling (with my nana); then, later, TOTP, Tomorrow's World, Life on Earth

Sweets: sherbet dib dab, licorice sweets (a farthing each), Yorkie bars. Cream soda to drink.

Games: Mouse Trap, Kerplunk, Yahtzee, poker dice, Solo (with my nana and her friends)

Toys: Action man, meccano, sticks for guns,

Bike:wanted a chopper, got a blue racer

Music: Sweet, Bowie, T Rex, Zep

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Born in 63...

TV: Thunderbirds, Captain Scarlet, Magpie, Crossroads & wrestling (with my nana); then, later, TOTP, Tomorrow's World, Life on Earth

Sweets: sherbet dib dab, licorice sweets (a farthing each), Yorkie bars. Cream soda to drink.

Games: Mouse Trap, Kerplunk, Yahtzee, poker dice, Solo (with my nana and her friends)

Toys: Action man, meccano, sticks for guns,

Bike:wanted a chopper, got a blue racer

Music: Sweet, Bowie, T Rex, Zep

What about the Chipper bike? A cheaper version, or was that for younger kids?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
In addition to the above, we used to get bottles of Corona delivered (with bottles that you got money back on when returned).
My favourite personal memory of the 70s (1978?) was being asked by Teddy Maybank if we wanted to take his bottles back to the shop and we could have the deposits. He lived in a very ordinary house in Holmes Avenue but was obviously rich beyond our imagination as he had a wheelbarrow full of empty pop bottles...

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
WTF! Also born in '68 and never heard of that.

It sounds like something developed in Porton Down! :lolol:
Fizzy apple drink. Presumably loaded with sugar before we worried about such things. Cans of it were sold at the County Ground and there was also a highly desirable ice lolly version...

(Talking of sugary drinks... there were of course aspects of the 70s that were less great. Regular visits to a quack dentist for multiple fillings is not something I look back on with much joy...)

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My favourite personal memory of the 70s (1978?) was being asked by Teddy Maybank if we wanted to take his bottles back to the shop and we could have the deposits. He lived in a very ordinary house in Holmes Avenue but was obviously rich beyond our imagination as he had a wheelbarrow full of empty pop bottles...

I remember being at the Old Forge in EP in maybe 78 or 79 and asking Paul Clark to sign my arm because he looked the most like Teddy Maybank. They pissed themselves laughing.

Edit: Sorry Teddy wasn't there that night.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In times when you're having a bad time, stuff like this lifts you, so thanks.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
Tv marine boy, catweasle,itv wrestling ,stingray ,flashing blade ,here come the double deckers
Sweets ice breaker ,cidergold lollies ,funny feet ,
drink cresta its frothy man,topdeck shandy
bike had a chipper,then a chopper
Toys jonny astro ,rebound ,superstriker,spacehopper,slinky
music t rex sweet slade suzi quatro
what happy days

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
All the different makes of cigarettes that have disappeared, Gold Leaf, Number 6, Number 10, Cadets, Guards, Piccadilly,etc there must have been twenty plus brands

Olivier (first smoke at age of 7), Domino 5 for sixpence, Park Drive, Craven A cork tipped, Capstan Full Strength, Solent menthol and more. Smoked them all and still here.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Fizzy apple drink. Presumably loaded with sugar before we worried about such things. Cans of it were sold at the County Ground and there was also a highly desirable ice lolly version...

(Talking of sugary drinks... there were of course aspects of the 70s that were less great. Regular visits to a quack dentist for multiple fillings is not something I look back on with much joy...)

Yes, I also had many a session with our dentist in the 1970's who seemed determined to fill every tooth with black amalgam, didn't get nice looking teeth until quite recently.

Formula One and 500cc Grand Prix Motorcycling was brilliant in the 1970's, by the way, Barry Sheene and James Hunt, they don't make them like that any more!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Making your own go kart.
Pram wheels, bits of wood and a bolt in the front axle to steer with a length of rope.
Take it down the woods for weeks of summer fun.

Oh and the menthol fags were Consulate.
Can't remember the name of the long thin ones though.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I won't add properly to this thread as I was born in 58. Interesting read, though. The 70s to me, like someone said, was a game of two halves, with the first half relentlessly naff, with the whiff of Brut aftershave (and a touch of Hi Karate), number six, and farts. The second half was the exciting world of punk and post punk, going to uni and dabbling with life's temptations.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Saturday afternoon looking through the window of Visionhire at 3:45 to see how Brighton were doing at half time then making sure you got home in time to see the results on the Grandstand vidiprinter?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Born in 1966

TV programme - Charlie's Angels. Jaclyn Smith did it for me.

Bike - Tomahawk.

Car - my dad had a Renault 12. Hated it.

Fashion - cheesecloth shirt. Thoughts I was the dog's bollocks.

Music - bit young but The Jam blew me away when they came on the scene.

Sport - bloody loved the wrestling. For some reason I always looked forward to Rollerball Rocco v Johnny Saint. ("I'm coming for you Saint!")

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here