Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

People using the word "narrative".......

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I suggest a lot of you never go to a book launch. I went to one last night and, although they didn't say the word 'narrative', they did say a lot of other big words.

My contribution - When people say 'reach out' like "thanks for reaching out to me" or "I was meaning to reach out and say...".

Used by Americans when they're trying to make business matters sound like normal, everyday life but comes across as very disingenuous (probably purposfully). Typically used by customer service agents at Amazon and people like that.

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
Advertised a job recently and so many CVs have the word 'inidividual' in the personal description, as in "a hardworking and skilled individual". Of course your an individual. Groups of people don't apply for jobs do they? The word is completely superfluous (no doubt some one here will hate the word superfluous and call me out on that one now......

Another Americanism maybe?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Not so much a word more a tone - people who speak as if they are permanently asking a question by making their voice tone go up at the end of every sentence.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Advertised a job recently and so many CVs have the word 'inidividual' in the personal description, as in "a hardworking and skilled individual". Of course your an individual. Groups of people don't apply for jobs do they? The word is completely superfluous (no doubt some one here will hate the word superfluous and call me out on that one now......

Surely it's a legitimate noun which can be used instead of person?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Come on boys and girls, let's start singing from the same hymn sheet? Huh?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Not so much a word more a tone - people who speak as if they are permanently asking a question by making their voice tone go up at the end of every sentence.
A guy on ID channel, who's an expert on mass murderers, does this. I can accept the occasional rise in tone, but he does it for most sentences. If the programme hadn't been so interesting I would have deleted it before the end!

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Starting a sentence with, "so". The two people I know who do this are both doctors, so it could be an NHS thing.

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
'Pre-prepared' - how's that different from prepared?

Forgot about that one. Place I used to work they used to talk about 'pre-planned operations'. If it's not planned it's spontaneous and if it is planned that happens before the event - pre-event if you must.

ilduc944

May 1, 2014
Surely it's a legitimate noun which can be used instead of person?

Yup, legitimate replacement but in the context of a CV it is just padding. An individual or person applies for the job, they don't need to tell you that they're an individual or person, it goes without saying. Just my current bugbear this one as I'm reading the word so frequently. Maybe I'll be more forgiving when I've got the person I'm after.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yup, legitimate replacement but in the context of a CV it is just padding. An individual or person applies for the job, they don't need to tell you that they're an individual or person, it goes without saying. Just my current bugbear this one as I'm reading the word so frequently. Maybe I'll be more forgiving when I've got the person I'm after.

I had to have another look at my CV, no third person stuff going on, or 'individual', thank goodness.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Do the needful is such an Indianism. My old job included running a team in Bangalore remotely and that seemed to be the cornerstone of their English capability.

Sometimes right, sometimes wrong but ALWAYS certain

I've encountered "do the needful" a few times in emails from Indian colleagues. They also use "revert" to mean respond e.g. "Can you please take a look and revert with your comments"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Its just fluous.

I don't know what supposed to be super about it.

NeilS

Apr 12, 2012
Hate poncey home/architecture programmes using the word juxtapose

Rant commences:-

NatWest radio adverts. Currently making a song and dance about the ability to use your phone to get cash from a "hole in the wall" if you have been dumb ass enough to forget your card - money from this can apparently be used for such life saving things as cat litter. Not content with this the tone of the advert seems to imply that the facility is on a par with curing world hunger and disease ffs!

AND THEN the advert finishes with "..NatWest - we are what we do" What the f*ck is that supposed to mean - probably paid some coke snorting cretin zillions of pounds to come up with that and IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Really grinds my gears (or does that transgress the point of the thread?).

RANT OVER

..It has been a (genuinely) bad week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here