Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Massive fire in London - Grenfell Tower in Shepherds Bush

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Crack on then.

I do actually take your point, on reflection........ but it doesn't mean that they care any less about what has happened or about doing something about it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well how many Tories live in a High Rise?

tens of thousands across London. so sad that people and politicans are trying to make political points and the fire isnt even out.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
So very odd today. Busy but the burning building visible outside.

Nothing you can do. We've all been asked to bring toiletries in tomorrow, which I thought a bit odd because they are readily available and this is a capital city in a modern country.

Then it hits you. Survivors have lost everything except what they were sleeping in and they are homeless.

Jul 7, 2003
Watching BBC news tonight and the building still seems very much alight behind Huw Edwards.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
So very odd today. Busy but the burning building visible outside.

Nothing you can do. We've all been asked to bring toiletries in tomorrow, which I thought a bit odd because they are readily available and this is a capital city in a modern country.

Then it hits you. Survivors have lost everything except what they were sleeping in and they are homeless.

Please keep doing the good work :thumbsup:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I agree. I am an Architectural Technologist and work on large scale residential developments for national housebuilder clients. In my 28 year career, I have only dealt with one development of apartments in which a sprinkler system was installed (at the time, the late 90's it was the first development in Surrey to include one). The only reason it was included was because it was the only way to achieve Building Regulation compliance for the design.

You have to remember that the Building Regulations set out the MINIMUM standards that buildings must be constructed to. Most developers see that as the benchmark and anything else is "guilding the lily". The current Part B documents do include references to sprinklers however they only come into play if certain other criteria cannot be met - more often than not, you can make a building safe from fire spread by applying the minimum standards.

There is also no requirement to install a communal fire alarm system - only smoke/heat detectors within individual flats - and 'stay put' policy is normal.

Most tower blocks being designed these days will include the services of a Fire Engineering Consultant to ensure that the design of a building not only complies with the regulations, but exceeds them - sometimes professional engineering not only provides a compliant solution, but can represent a saving to the developer on a design that complies with the minimum standards.

My personal view is that we will see the Building Regulations updated to make sprinkler systems mandatory. Unfortunately, it has taken a catastrophic & tragic event such as this to start the process.

Unfortunately, the only way you will ever really know whether a building is 'safe from fire spread' is on occasions such as this one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Please keep doing the good work :thumbsup:

Please I've done nothing.

Lots of charity vehicles going past all day bringing "aid". Remarkable in London in 2017.

There has been more on the local news but the local community round there have been amazing.

Utterly astonishing.

Feeding, clothing etc...

Nurses getting out bed to help the injured, churches of all faiths feeding either the survivors or those evacuated.

Local man trying to distract himself from the cries he heard from the building by getting up early to buy food and distribute it around the scattered homeless.

This is London 2017 - up the road from Kensington and next door to Notting Hill.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well how many Tories live in a High Rise?

Shut up you ****, actually having thought about it, how f**king dare you align this to political belief. Totally out of order, Don't believe I've ever been offended you've come close!!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here