Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Just Had a Thoughtful Email From Ebay!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
I'm flying back to the UK to cremate my father next week. Emails such as this (I've received a few too) cause me to reflect on the death of my father, an event that causes me emotional pain, at times when I would rather not do so (such as when I'm at work). One also caused a moment where I thought "oh, Dad will like that" before instantly realising that he can't like anything anymore. That wasn't a fun experience.

So yes, people are really upset about this. I'm pretty surprised I need to spell this out, tbh.

Really upset, really? I still don't get it.
Is a generic email about reminding people about Father's Day, nothing personal to those who have lost there parents.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Really upset, really? I still don't get it.
Is a generic email about reminding people about Father's Day, nothing personal to those who have lost there parents.

The OP said it was a personal email, so it wouldn't have been a generic email.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Looks a bit like people getting upset for the sake of getting upset because they can, My Dad is currently dieing of cancer but I cant stop people sending me fathers day emails unless I close my email account.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Looks a bit like people getting upset for the sake of getting upset because they can, My Dad is currently dieing of cancer but I cant stop people sending me fathers day emails unless I close my email account.

Maybe it could be that we're all different? The world would be a rotten place to live if we all thought alike.
Some people are more emotional than others, it doesn't make them weak or worse people.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick

I doubt it was a personal e-mail suffice to say it would have been sent out to all their customers having all their contact details.

I have e-mails addressed to me but can't see that they're personal despite them knowing my name etc.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I doubt it was a personal e-mail suffice to say it would have been sent out to all their customers having all their contact details.

I have e-mails addressed to me but can't see that they're personal despite them knowing my name etc.

I wasn't the one who said it was personal. [MENTION=259]Jack Straw[/MENTION] did. Take it up with him.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

It was sent out to everyone who uses eBay as Father's Day is approaching , with believe it or not the persons name who has registered with eBay. So generic, not just the OP.
would it be an idea to register your parents death in future, so they can be sensitive to this?

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
They've sent out an email without thinking it through.
They'd not be so stupid as to send out an email saying e.g. "Hey <your name>, how about this gift for your sister" because they know not everyone has a sister.
Likewise, they'd not send out a message saying e.g. "Hi <your name>, how about getting your child one of these for their birthday" because they know not everyone has children.
What they have assumed is that everyone has a father - what they have failed to consider is that some people no longer have a father ....

It's poor marketing, and yes, people who have lost their dad have every right to feel this was insensitive.

I'm 57 and my dad is 90 this year, and still going strong, so I don't have a problem with this myself - but I also have no difficulty accepting that others might find it offensive, disrespectful or upsetting - that's their right and my opinion on their feelings is irrelevant.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
This just got worse...

Logged into the Ancestry web site, using my wife's account, and got a suggestion for Father's Day.

Of all websites, this one should know he's been dead for over forty years.

But who buys their Father a DNA test?
:eek::mad::ohmy::cry::shrug::laugh::facepalm:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
This just got worse...

Logged into the Ancestry web site, using my wife's account, and got a suggestion for Father's Day.

Well I would if he was still around. I have had my DNA done by Ancestry and I would like to know if my Gengis Khan / Iberian Peninsular slant comes from his side or mum's!

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
This just got worse...

I've just sent my DNA test of to be done after we got my wife's done and found out where she originated from.
As I've done some genealogy and we found out my grandad was adopted we hit a brick wall and couldn't find out which way to go with it, so I'm thinking of getting one for my father to see if it helps.
So the answer to your question is ME. :bigwave:

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I've just sent my DNA test of to be done after we got my wife's done and found out where she originated from.
As I've done some genealogy and we found out my grandad was adopted we hit a brick wall and couldn't find out which way to go with it, so I'm thinking of getting one for my father to see if it helps.
So the answer to your question is ME. :bigwave:

TBH, I'm thinking of getting it done myself, but that's more to check for distant cousins.

Yours is a good reason, but I suspect most fathers would find it a bit insulting - it's almost like asking if his wife slept with someone else. :ohmy:

I'd be interested to know how you get on, and how much detail you get. Did your wife actually find any relatives, or just the geographical area they came from?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Sensitive old eBay!

I got one of those Facebook, you've been friends with so and so for however many years and accompanying montage of photos. Of my dead Brother.
Genuinely have not looked at FB since.

As an aside my Father passed a few years ago and I simply didn't not find myself getting upset at all by Fathers Day stuff. My Mum died on Mothers Day and that day doesn't bother me either. It just goes over my head when the advertising starts.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
TBH, I'm thinking of getting it done myself, but that's more to check for distant cousins.

Yours is a good reason, but I suspect most fathers would find it a bit insulting - it's almost like asking if his wife slept with someone else. :ohmy:

I'd be interested to know how you get on, and how much detail you get. Did your wife actually find any relatives, or just the geographical area they came from?

She found out she's 94% British, 3 % Scandinavian , and 3% Scottish. It matches you with other people, obviously if they are on the data base and there are up to 300ish 4th cousins. They rate them at very highly likely, highly likely and so on. There were 2-3 on there that are very highly likely and has since been in touch.
I got it for her as she was unsure or had heard rumours of that she had a different father from her brother and sister, so this was the start of her journey to find out the truth. Interesting stuff.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
She found out she's 94% British, 3 % Scandinavian , and 3% Scottish. It matches you with other people, obviously if they are on the data base and there are up to 300ish 4th cousins. They rate them at very highly likely, highly likely and so on. There were 2-3 on there that are very highly likely and has since been in touch.
I got it for her as she was unsure or had heard rumours of that she had a different father from her brother and sister, so this was the start of her journey to find out the truth. Interesting stuff.

Very interesting. Needs to reach "critical mass" with people registering, to increase the likelihood of a match. Will give it serious thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here