Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jamie Murphy

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Personally I think both Skalak and KLL have the potential to do something worthy in the premier league, but I don't see it with Murphy, perfectly decent player with a good all round game but nothing overly special in any one area. In the premier league I think you need to have something 'extra' whether its Skalak's dead-ball delivery or KLL's ability to beat someone.

I'm not surprised Murphy is more popular than either of those, though, and he's a decent squad player
What, like james milner, of Liverpool and England fame? I don't overly rate Murphy but no way would I sell him for £4m not when we are short of wingers. And even if we get another winger in, I would keep him for bringing on late to sure up the midfield and give a chance of a quick break if we are winning by a goal.

Sent from my XT1072 using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I was holding back in posting on this to see the consensus before posting.

I am obviously bias because he played for Motherwell so slightly blinkered but my observations are this

Sometimes he can flatter to deceive but he is the most 2 footed player in the current squad.

He seems to keep going for the full 90 mins when he stays on the pitch. That can't be said for many of the others

He gets goals occasionally and all he needs to do is score 2 or 3 in the PL and he is going to be worth double that easy. Andros Townsend played 2 good games for Spurs and Yanick Bolasie played 2 good games for Palace on Telly and as soon as people like Danny Murphy or Alan Sheares say they made one good move in a match then newspapers start quoting transfers to here there and everywhere so he is capable of playing 2 great games on Telly.

I watched him tear a couple of Premier Clubs defences to bits in the Sheffield United League Cup run a few years ago, so he does have capabilities when he is on his game.

He is not a superstar Jamie and he is not always consistent but if you think you can go out and get someone who would be in his position in the PL for anything less than £15m or more then I think you are kidding yourselves.

That brings me to the ''Do I think CH would let him go'' - Might get back to you on that one in a few days...........MAYBE !

The problem is he is ineffective. For a winger he has very few assists. His crossing is poor and his decision making is diabolical. Undoubted skill but no aptitude for using it. He scored one great goal where he was put through with just the keeper to beat and his other goal was a deflection. Pretty much every other shot was lame. (I've excluded the two in the EFL cup!)

He won't cut it in the Premier League so £4m would be good business.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The problem is he is ineffective. For a winger he has very few assists. His crossing is poor and his decision making is diabolical. Undoubted skill but no aptitude for using it. He scored one great goal where he was put through with just the keeper to beat and his other goal was a deflection. Pretty much every other shot was lame. (I've excluded the two in the EFL cup!)

And the other players tearing up the Championship were whom ?

And what about al the opposition breakaways that he stalled. Just look at where CH deploys Jamie when we have a corner. He is always deployed against the quickest opposition player on the edge of the box to prevent these breakaways but I suppose these things don't count in some people's eyes

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'd bite any club's hand off if they offered £4m for him. A good quality reliable Championship winger, but totally unproven at Premier League level. Now if Fulham are serious about him, l wonder if we can tempt them into a player plus cash deal? Tom Crainey comes to mind. Ryan Fredericks perhaps.

Cairney has signed a new contract so there's no chance.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'd bite any club's hand off if they offered £4m for him. A good quality reliable Championship winger, but totally unproven at Premier League level. Now if Fulham are serious about him, l wonder if we can tempt them into a player plus cash deal? Tom Crainey comes to mind. Ryan Fredericks perhaps.
80%+ of our squad are unproven in the Premier League

Whilst I rate both Cairney and Fredericks I'm not sure they have Prem experience (or any that makes a difference) either

I've got a good feeling that Murphy is going to blossom in the Prem, I'd certainly give him the opportunity

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He's better and far more consistent than Skalak and KLL, and more consistent than March at the moment (but March has time on his side and has been unlucky with injuries).

I wouldn't mind at all if Murphy stays for 2017/18.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
FFS. Not for sale at this time. If we get someone better in, then maybe...

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
£4 million into the 'Delaney fund' ?

It's a yes from me.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Skalak crosses and defends better than Murphy IMO.

Murphy better finisher more direct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never thought of Skalak as great defensively in the slighest. Instead I felt sorry for the LB's when he leaves them exposed after mucking up a great move by the team.

His crossing and corners for a while were immense, but even that has largely disappeared.

I like Murphy's pace on the counter and awareness of team mates.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He's better and far more consistent than Skalak and KLL, and more consistent than March at the moment (but March has time on his side and has been unlucky with injuries).

I wouldn't mind at all if Murphy stays for 2017/18.

Wouldn't disagree with your comment re Skalak and KLL but March is a more effective player in my opinion and a far better crosser of the ball.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I was holding back in posting on this to see the consensus before posting.

I am obviously bias because he played for Motherwell so slightly blinkered but my observations are this

Sometimes he can flatter to deceive but he is the most 2 footed player in the current squad.

He seems to keep going for the full 90 mins when he stays on the pitch. That can't be said for many of the others

He gets goals occasionally and all he needs to do is score 2 or 3 in the PL and he is going to be worth double that easy. Andros Townsend played 2 good games for Spurs and Yanick Bolasie played 2 good games for Palace on Telly and as soon as people like Danny Murphy or Alan Sheares say they made one good move in a match then newspapers start quoting transfers to here there and everywhere so he is capable of playing 2 great games on Telly.

I watched him tear a couple of Premier Clubs defences to bits in the Sheffield United League Cup run a few years ago, so he does have capabilities when he is on his game.

He is not a superstar Jamie and he is not always consistent but if you think you can go out and get someone who would be in his position in the PL for anything less than £15m or more then I think you are kidding yourselves.

That brings me to the ''Do I think CH would let him go'' - Might get back to you on that one in a few days...........MAYBE !

I think your Motherwell glasses are blocking your sight line. He disappears for about 70 minutes a game.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8024491 said:
Pains me to say it but in my opinion we should be thinking of selling Kaz, Murphy and Skalak and bringing it two quality replacements.
Pretty much spot on especially skalak and Kaz as they're just gash now and barely championship players nevermind premiership :)

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Funny how any mention of Murphy brings out the Barnes haters to have a pop at Skalak - that's my theory anyway.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
And the other players tearing up the Championship were whom ?

And what about al the opposition breakaways that he stalled. Just look at where CH deploys Jamie when we have a corner. He is always deployed against the quickest opposition player on the edge of the box to prevent these breakaways but I suppose these things don't count in some people's eyes

Firstly, Murphy wasn't tearing up the championship, far from it. And just to remind you, we are in the premier league so we are looking at players we think will do well in that division.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
Wouldn't disagree with your comment re Skalak and KLL but March is a more effective player in my opinion and a far better crosser of the ball.

Without March playing on the left we always play with inverted wingers (not sure on the correct terminology here). Even March considers himself a right winger and would ideally play there given opportunity. We rarely see any decent level of crossing from our wingers. It comes more from the fullbacks than it does the wingers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here