Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Latest Award for our Chris - needs a mention here

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Reading this made me realise how old we're all getting, and how times have changed. A ways to go but at least the direction is positive.

Also worth noting that Darren Moore, recognised for his work as West Brom coach, was the recipient of that flung banana during the last game at The Goldstone, something that remains the MOST painfully embarrassing and awful moment of my life thus far as a football fan.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/39429602

Chris Hughton feels there is a "real enthusiasm for change" to give equal opportunities for black managers in the English game.

The Brighton boss is one of three black first-team managers employed at one of England's 92 professional clubs.

He is keen for the change he says he has already seen at grassroots and in academies level to be replicated in first teams at the highest level.

"There is no doubt that the balances are not right," said Hughton.

"It is going to be about talking around the table as much as possible, highlighting it as much as possible and looking to see change.

"Where I have seen change is at grassroots level and academy level. I think everybody wants to see that at first-team level up through the leagues.

"I do think there is a real enthusiasm to want change."

In June last year, Football League clubs approved proposals to introduce a 'Rooney Rule' for academy jobs in a bid to increase the number of black and ethnic minority coaches.

Clubs must now include at least one suitably qualified BME candidate on the interview shortlist if such an application is received.

In addition, 10 of the 72 EFL clubs have volunteered to pilot a similar scheme in their first-team recruitment process during 2016-17.

Hughton was speaking at Tuesday's Black List Awards, which celebrate African and Caribbean achievement in the British game.

The 58-year-old was awarded for his coaching of Brighton, who are currently second in the Championship.

Darren Moore, who is at West Brom, also picked up an award in the coaching category while Chelsea ladies forward Eniola Aluko won in the player category and former Manchester United and Newcastle striker Andy Cole scooped the Keith Alexander award.

Kick It Out chairman Lord Ouseley was recognised in the administration category along with Chelsea's technical director Michael Emenalo.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Just been reading this in the Irish Independent.

"I do think there is a real enthusiasm to want change"

CH elegant as ever :thumbsup:

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
The day Chris was appointed Albion manager, the last thing to cross my mind was his colour. He was appointed on merit and was then and still is the best man for the job, race should never come in to it.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The day Chris was appointed Albion manager, the last thing to cross my mind was his colour. He was appointed on merit and was then and still is the best man for the job, race should never come in to it.

I totally agree but that's not the issue really. The issue is that the balance needs to be addressed.

I always thought that Chris should have spoke out more about the issue. Quite simply because has been one of the few black Managers almost constantly in employment in a top Managers job in the last 10 years. When others out of work shout about it then it comes across as sour grapes from them.

However in hindsight, the fact that he speaks out on the issue less, it probably carries more weight than your Nigel Farage or Nicola Sturgeon type campaigners with a one Policy Agenda. He probably realises that his main job is to be a football manager and a campaigner second, so the only way to have your views valued is to be in a job when you speak out and you do that by having success as a Manager first and foremost.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

How I feel.

Chris Hughton is a genius as well as coming across as a decent person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
George Parris talks about racism from his playing days, and what his former team-mate (Chris Hughton) was like when they played together on this week's Albion Roar.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
The question that can never be answered is if he wasn't black would he have got a management opportunity after less than 14 years as a coach?

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London
Also worth noting that Darren Moore, recognised for his work as West Brom coach, was the recipient of that flung banana during the last game at The Goldstone, something that remains the MOST painfully embarrassing and awful moment of my life thus far as a football fan.

Seriously? Did you throw it?

Commander

Apr 28, 2004
London

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here