Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ginger domination

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Sidwell holding with Stephens allows us to play our best two attacking wingers ie Solly and Knocky. For home games at least CH will surely stick with this as the best combination.

Oh Stevie SIDWELL, you are the love o' my life....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He had an excellent game, just wish he would try and turn forward before looking to pass backwards EVERY time.

It was his perfectly weighted FORWARD pass to March that created our clinching second goal yesterday.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Really.....................................I take it you arrived at half time if Solly was MOM...............Sidwell by far the best player on the pitch by a million miles.

Yes, I often turn up at half time. 'A MILLION miles.' OK.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
It was his perfectly weighted FORWARD pass to March that created our clinching second goal yesterday.

OK, I should have worded it clearer... When he gets the ball from our CBs with his back to goal, he doesn't even try to turn forwards, he just looks for another defender to pass to.

For sure he had an excellent game, just amazed that someone if his quality and experience has this as an issue, even if minor, at this stage of his career

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
OK, I should have worded it clearer... When he gets the ball from our CBs with his back to goal, he doesn't even try to turn forwards, he just looks for another defender to pass to.

For sure he had an excellent game, just amazed that someone if his quality and experience has this as an issue, even if minor, at this stage of his career

Who in front of him should he be passing too?

Bearing in mind the Albion is set up as an entirely 'winger running from deep' attacking unit.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Who in front of him should he be passing too?

Bearing in mind the Albion is set up as an entirely 'winger running from deep' attacking unit.

Are you suggesting our CM partnership, whoever it may be, don't pick the ball up from our defenders and look to get it into the feet of, or over the top for, strikers or wingers?

I appreciate he and Norwood are very different players, I am not suggesting he has his passing range as he has many skills Norwood does not, but I am saying he does get caught with his back to goal sometimes when more often than not he could have turned forwards.

The bloke had a GREAT game yesterday, and IMO should have been playing every game while Stephens was out, I am just pointing out what to me seems a fairly obvious and easily fixed flaw in someone's game

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Are you suggesting our CM partnership, whoever it may be, don't pick the ball up from our defenders and look to get it into the feet of, or over the top for, strikers or wingers?

I appreciate he and Norwood are very different players, I am not suggesting he has his passing range as he has many skills Norwood does not, but I am saying he does get caught with his back to goal sometimes when more often than not he could have turned forwards.

The bloke had a GREAT game yesterday, and IMO should have been playing every game while Stephens was out, I am just pointing out what to me seems a fairly obvious and easily fixed flaw in someone's game

What I'm suggesting is a team that routinely attacks down the wing, with overlapping full backs.
The last thing it needs is a centre midfielder deciding the team should be attacking straight down the middle.

But hey fingers crossed SS will take on board your advise for the 'obvious flaw' in his game.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
He had a good game yesterday, as he has had on numerous occasions this season, but if yesterday proved anything, it's that Stephens is the key cog in that area and the other three are battling to take the second spot.

Luckily for SS, he appears in better form currently than Kayal (unsurprising considering the latter's injury issues), so he's likely to continue being a solid complement to Stephens.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Sidwell was very good today, but nobody came close to Solly, even two goal Hemed.
I personally think people underlook the role of a traditional centre midfielder, it's a tough tough job and errors can be costly. We expect March to be phenomenal, but Sidwell? We expect a good shift, but we can't be comparing the two.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
What I'm suggesting is a team that routinely attacks down the wing, with overlapping full backs.
The last thing it needs is a centre midfielder deciding the team should be attacking straight down the middle.

But hey fingers crossed SS will take on board your advise for the 'obvious flaw' in his game.

If I had the facility, time and inclination I could show you at least a dozen examples of what I am talking about from this season, where he receives the ball in space, time to turn but makes no attempt to do so.

If you haven't noticed this then that probably says more about your reading of the game than mine.

I think you will also find that we also rely heavily on Baldocks movement up front, not in the channels, and that would be pretty useless if both players in the midfield didn't look to play it in to him from time to time.

Maybe from now to the end of the season just think about what I am suggesting when you see him pick the ball up facing towards his own goal. Maybe I am wrong, but I have seen it all season so I doubt it.

Anyway, I can't be arsed to talk about this any more, it was an observation whilst still commenting that he had an excellent game yesterday and should have had more game time this season, especially in the biggest games without fully fit Kayal or Stephens.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here