Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Comic Relief on the Kent & East Sussex Railway

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I hope no-one minds me posting this on here as it's nothing to do with football. Some of my work colleagues at the Kent & East Sussex Railway are doing a 100 mile challenge on a Buster Keaton style pump trolley in aid of Comic Relief this coming Friday. They start at 0630 with hope of finishing early evening. They have already raised over £1000, it would be fantastic if you could make a small donation to a good cause to help make the team's efforts and pain worthwhile. You can donate online here http://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/KESRPT100 . Many thanks in anticipation.

072dd0d5bdac936bdab03c2127ccf43a.jpg

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I took the photo, I'm not photogenic enough to be in it!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
They have to do Tenterden bank right at the end, you're right Norman, it's a killer on that thing. It's hard enough to make it go on the flat!

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This whole comic relief thing is the biggest, stupidest pain in the back side I have ever seen. I refuse to watch or listen to anything to do with it as a matter of principle.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This whole comic relief thing is the biggest, stupidest pain in the back side I have ever seen. I refuse to watch or listen to anything to do with it as a matter of principle.
And yet you clicked on a thread about it?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent

Each to their own I guess. I must admit I rarely watch it on telly but am more than happy to take part in fundraising for people far worse off than myself. It's nice for us to know that a bit of effort from us can change other people's lives for the better. There is talk of this event featuring on the telly on Friday so watch out for us!

D

Deleted member 22389

After the way I was treated and spoken to offering my free time on another project they can spin on it. I hate the way charity works at the moment. If the government put enough money in to things and stopped wasting billions of pounds on crap then people wouldn't have to go to all these efforts. There are too many charities these days and nobody knows what to give anymore.

I would like to add, another time someone knocked on my door, I offered to give them a donation online but was told it needs to be direct debit. I said I couldn't afford that and the bloke walked off in huff and said "suit yourself."

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Green top would def get it. Just pop her name and address down and I'll take the cash over. Cheers.

P.S good luck.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

Yes you are right....almost £1billion raised by comic relief. A real pain in the backside! Waste of time! Why do they bother?

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Is Howard still a driver down there?

He is! He's retired from steam but still drives a couple of diesels. Where do you know him from?

Brovion

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jul 6, 2003
He is! He's retired from steam but still drives a couple of diesels. Where do you know him from?
He did my 'Engine driving' day. He was a real character and he's just stuck in my head. One of the things I remember: For one of the exercises I was the last to go and I'd seen all the others doing it so I knew what to do. I jumped into the cab, took off the brake and opened the regulator (or whatever, I've forgotten!) and started chuffing down the track. Then I could feel this tapping on my shoulder. I turned round and Howard was standing there with his hands on his hips glaring at me.
"Have I told you what to do yet?" he enquired loudly and sarcastically.
"Er, no, not yet" I replied a bit sheepishly.
"Well stop the bloody train then!" he shouted.

You need to be told what to do like that occasionally! It was a great day.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
After the way I was treated and spoken to offering my free time on another project they can spin on it. I hate the way charity works at the moment. If the government put enough money in to things and stopped wasting billions of pounds on crap then people wouldn't have to go to all these efforts. There are too many charities these days and nobody knows what to give anymore.

I would like to add, another time someone knocked on my door, I offered to give them a donation online but was told it needs to be direct debit. I said I couldn't afford that and the bloke walked off in huff and said "suit yourself."

One of my biggest problems with ALL charities, particularly the big ones is where exactly does the money go? How much of what you give actually ends up with the needy and not in the hands of some corrupt middle-man, paying outrageous salaries for the charity's executives or their fancy offices, or is spent on advertising?

A friend of mine flies for BA and takes old clothes (hers and those of friends) with her when she goes to third world countries and gives them directly to the needy. On her last trip she gave the hotel maid a pile of T-shirts and she was so grateful it was like she'd been given £100. Same friend knows a woman whose husband has become a millionaire via the old clothes collection box business. So much for charity.

D

Deleted member 22389

One of my biggest problems with ALL charities, particularly the big ones is where exactly does the money go? How much of what you give actually ends up with the needy and not in the hands of some corrupt middle-man, paying outrageous salaries for the charity's executives or their fancy offices, or is spent on advertising?

A friend of mine flies for BA and takes old clothes (hers and those of friends) with her when she goes to third world countries and gives them directly to the needy. On her last trip she gave the hotel maid a pile of T-shirts and she was so grateful it was like she'd been given £100. Same friend knows a woman whose husband has become a millionaire via the old clothes collection box business. So much for charity.

When I was in Luton there was a spate of thefts involving these clothes bags, which where cleared from peoples doorsteps before the charity actually got to them. In fact I remember it being featured in a programme.

You talk about BA clothes, my wife gives money to her friend who then gives it directly to children in Africa as she goes over there once a year. The children write back and you can see actually see where your money goes, which really does make a difference. It's worth giving for something like that. Like you I'm sceptical about the bigger charities.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
He did my 'Engine driving' day. He was a real character and he's just stuck in my head. One of the things I remember: For one of the exercises I was the last to go and I'd seen all the others doing it so I knew what to do. I jumped into the cab, took off the brake and opened the regulator (or whatever, I've forgotten!) and started chuffing down the track. Then I could feel this tapping on my shoulder. I turned round and Howard was standing there with his hands on his hips glaring at me.
"Have I told you what to do yet?" he enquired loudly and sarcastically.
"Er, no, not yet" I replied a bit sheepishly.
"Well stop the bloody train then!" he shouted.

You need to be told what to do like that occasionally! It was a great day.

Yup, that's Howard! I'm glad you enjoyed your day.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Today's the day! Here's a short film taken at 6.30 this morning. The girls and boys deserve you support, please make a small donation if you can. Thank you. Total so far is £1,375, can we make £2,000? http://my.rednoseday.com/sponsor/KESRPT100

[video]youtube]6qXNzSG8i0o[/video]

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Have they finished yet - hope you gave them a push up Tenterden Bank?

They're on the last leg now, prob only five miles or so left. A fantastic effort by those brave enough to take it on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here