Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton need returns from big buys

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Because they were replacing Championship players not PL ones (and, in Ryan's case, stepping into vacancy). The new set of players would clearly have a tougher task.

Which is what I said in the bit you haven't quoted. Nevertheless for that much money it's not unreasonable to expect at least one of the signings to have staked a claim to a regular place in the team

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Bissouma - promising but inexperienced
Balogun - looked excellent, agree with [MENTION=25249]Milano[/MENTION]
Andone - promising, needs a proper run in the team at some point
Locadia - jury still out for me
Montoya - solid but we look better when Bruno is playing
Bernardo - thought he looked very good last week
Ali J - not seen the best of him yet

None of the above have had a solid run of games to be able to fully prove their worth IMO
Real verdict

Bissouma - Mixed bag so far.
Balogun - Cameo appearences but looks the real deal. [MENTION=25249]Milano[/MENTION]
Andone - Nothing to date to report.
Locadia - Wasted 14 million. Not a footballer
Montoya - Some nice stuff going forward. Weak in defence.
Bernardo - Same as Andone. Shocking against Watford. Decent against Leicester.
Ali J - Run of games and hasn't produced anything. Disappointing so far.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Real verdict

Bissouma - Mixed bag so far.
Balogun - Cameo appearences but looks the real deal. [MENTION=25249]Milano[/MENTION]
Andone - Nothing to date to report.
Locadia - Wasted 14 million. Not a footballer
Montoya - Some nice stuff going forward. Weak in defence.
Bernardo - Same as Andone. Shocking against Watford. Decent against Leicester.
Ali J - Run of games and hasn't produced anything. Disappointing so far.

There speaks the only valid opinion. Time will tell.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Let's see what the Grauniad has to say after Locadia secures legend status by scoring the injury-time winner against Palace next week.

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
In order to get the returns these players need to get more game time - how Andone hasn’t got more game time in recent weeks instead of March baffles me. He looks a great signing from the limited time we’ve seen him and provides pace and energy up front that we’ve been craving. In my opinion he would have a field day feeding off Murray while I would prefer to see Gross playing centre mid rather than in the number 10 role as his distribution is 100% better than any other midfielder in our squad.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
In order to get the returns these players need to get more game time - how Andone hasn’t got more game time in recent weeks instead of March baffles me. He looks a great signing from the limited time we’ve seen him and provides pace and energy up front that we’ve been craving. In my opinion he would have a field day feeding off Murray while I would prefer to see Gross playing centre mid rather than in the number 10 role as his distribution is 100% better than any other midfielder in our squad.

we definitely need to instil more attacking intent into the team , maybe your suggestion works but how does that affect us defensively.....i'd be prepared to give it a shot.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
I thought Bissouma was unlucky not to get the Solly March No. 10 roll in Gross's absence. The lad has speed and trickery whereas March is very much a winger shoved into a central role.

Similarly, I would have liked to have seen Locadia and Andone for Murray and Gross for that last 25-30 mins. We'd lost the initiative at that point, a double substitution would have given the Leicester defenders power and pace to contend with. Hughton missed a trick there.

Yes, yes but we’re not allowed to make a sub before 70 minutes

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Very hard to pass a considered opinion on any of the new arrivals so far. CH has decided not to fully trust any of them as first team choices yet but points on the board make it hard to argue with how we are doing without them. Like our evolving as a Premier League team we are just going to have to be patient, even if I think personally that we are no fun to watch and am desperate for some of them to add flair to the grit.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Pretty much similar views as everybody else

Bissouma. [emoji52]
Looks good in cameos

Montoya. [emoji848]
Ok. But a very poor game vs Southampton.

Locadia[emoji47]
Doesn’t look to be Premier League quality

Balogun[emoji846]
Looks a top player, unlucky not to be in the starting 11

Jahanbaksh[emoji849]
Looked ok to start with and got worse.
His performance against Everton was utterly dreadful

Bernardo[emoji52]
Against Watford. Utterly gash.
But improving, although not as good defensively as Bong

Andone[emoji7]
So far, the one real highlight and needs more game time. Strong, quick, good hold up play, really hope he starts today but probably won’t [emoji53]

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You're missing the point, last year we had three signings who came straight into the team and improved it, and were very quickly in the first choice eleven. That was going to be harder to do this year given the comparative strengths of the squads but none of the signings we made in the summer has forced their way to being an automatic choice and quite frankly none of them look close to doing so.

There were vacancies in the midfield due to Sidwell retiring etc.
Are you suggesting we rest the second highest scorer in the Premier League just to give the newbies a chance. A striker who is in great form?
Likewise with Balogan. Dunk is in superb form, called up for England, so he will have to wait.
I'm sure Chris will use each one of them over the winter months and it's up to them to take their opportunity.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I still cannot actually comprehend a week on how Hughton kept an injured Murray on for most of the second half basically meaning we had zero attacking options against a 10 man Leicester City and left Andone and Locadia on the bench for so long in the second half. It really just beggars belief. Thing is you cannot criticise Hughton as the last bloke than did, that Ben character is probably still in hiding. But serious questions need to be asked as to why as Tom Hark said we appear to have tossed away £ 60 000 000 over the Summer and Hughton has shown little or no interest in any of them prefering to play the champtionship players from 2016/17.

Today it is as sure as the sun will rise in the morning and will fall in the evening that Hughton will play the same tactics and formation at Huddersfield as he has since 8/17. If he made no changes last Saturday to actually show any real attacking intent when it was the best opportunity all season why would he do anything different today ?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still cannot actually comprehend a week on how Hughton kept an injured Murray on for most of the second half basically meaning we had zero attacking options against a 10 man Leicester City and left Andone and Locadia on the bench for so long in the second half. It really just beggars belief. Thing is you cannot criticise Hughton as the last bloke than did, that Ben character is probably still in hiding. But serious questions need to be asked as to why as Tom Hark said we appear to have tossed away £ 60 000 000 over the Summer and Hughton has shown little or no interest in any of them prefering to play the champtionship players from 2016/17.

Today it is as sure as the sun will rise in the morning and will fall in the evning that Hughton will play the same tactics and formation at Huddersfield as he has since 8/17. If he made no changes last Saturday to actually show any real attacking intent when it was the best opportunity all season why would he do anything different today ?

Simply not true though. Right from the first game, Bernardo started, Bissouma was involved from 60mins, Jahanbakhsh 71. Not sure anyone can criticise his decision to change that Watford team for the MU game which was as good a first half as we've seen in the PL.

Away to Liverpool he actually dropped Gross away from home to give Bissouma a start, again Jahanbakhsh and Locadia used as 75' subs.

Montoya started getting a run in the team from this point, Jahanbakhsh starting games, Locadia getting more game time. Andone still injured.

Perhaps for those fans that just get frustrated too much and need something to blame, their perception of intransigence from the manager is not backed up by reality. Just go back and click through line ups and substitutions and see Hughton trying things especially away from home.

Far too early to say we've tossed away all that money. It is a bit much to expect every player we sign to be fully integrated into the team within 13 games.

I don't think Murray was injured last week, sure he took a knock, but seemed fine in the second half. Ridiculous to suggest the manager wouldn't change him if he was effected by an injury.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
There were vacancies in the midfield due to Sidwell retiring etc.
Are you suggesting we rest the second highest scorer in the Premier League just to give the newbies a chance. A striker who is in great form?
Likewise with Balogan. Dunk is in superb form, called up for England, so he will have to wait.
I'm sure Chris will use each one of them over the winter months and it's up to them to take their opportunity.

No what im suggesting is that if you make 6 signings you expect at least one of them to have some impact. Three and a half months into the season it would be reasonable to think that Andone might be pushing Glenn for a starting place and have scored at least once, Jahanbash might be creating and scoring a few goals, Bissouma may have got a run in the team while Propper and Gross were injured, Bernado or Montoya might have cemented a full back spot. Now all of those happening might be a stretch but none of them is a poor return on investment. And I'm not writing off any of the signings, aome players take time to settle, and Hughton might be overcautiously relying on the players he knows

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Simply not true though. Right from the first game, Bernardo started, Bissouma was involved from 60mins, Jahanbakhsh 71. Not sure anyone can criticise his decision to change that Watford team for the MU game which was as good a first half as we've seen in the PL.

Away to Liverpool he actually dropped Gross away from home to give Bissouma a start, again Jahanbakhsh and Locadia used as 75' subs.

Montoya started getting a run in the team from this point, Jahanbakhsh starting games, Locadia getting more game time. Andone still injured.

Perhaps for those fans that just get frustrated too much and need something to blame, their perception of intransigence from the manager is not backed up by reality. Just go back and click through line ups and substitutions and see Hughton trying things especially away from home.

Far too early to say we've tossed away all that money. It is a bit much to expect every player we sign to be fully integrated into the team within 13 games.

I don't think Murray was injured last week, sure he took a knock, but seemed fine in the second half. Ridiculous to suggest the manager wouldn't change him if he was effected by an injury.

Last Saturday's tactics ? Hughton would not take Murray off, simple, he should have come off at half time, he is 35 and had a knock, we had 11 against 10 and 2 fit and eager strikers on the bench and he sat on this hands, again. Also 13 games is over a third of the season, how long ? 20 games, 30 games ?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
No what im suggesting is that if you make 6 signings you expect at least one of them to have some impact. Three and a half months into the season it would be reasonable to think that Andone might be pushing Glenn for a starting place and have scored at least once, Jahanbash might be creating and scoring a few goals, Bissouma may have got a run in the team while Propper and Gross were injured, Bernado or Montoya might have cemented a full back spot. Now all of those happening might be a stretch but none of them is a poor return on investment. And I'm not writing off any of the signings, aome players take time to settle, and Hughton might be overcautiously relying on the players he knows

Bissouma has had a run in the the team. He got a start at Liverpool in place of Gross, he started consecutive games against Southampton, Spurs and Man City, then came on for decent sub appearances after that. I have no idea where this idea comes that some of these signings have not had a fair chance?

Montoya had 5 consecutive starts too. Lucadia has consistently featured. Andone was injured at the start of the season, and slowly seems to be getting time, but Murray has been exceptional.

Bernardo now also getting back into the side.

Hughton is relying on whoever he thinks is his best starting XI to win a game of football. I don't think there is any hidden loyalty, agenda or anything else. Whomever he thinks is most in form and likely to have the biggest impact he is playing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last Saturday's tactics ? Hughton would not take Murray off, simple, he should have come off at half time, he is 35 and had a knock, we had 11 against 10 and 2 fit and eager strikers on the bench and he sat on this hands, again. Also 13 games is over a third of the season, how long ? 20 games, 30 games ?

They're human beings, could be a whole year, might not happen, could happen today. How long have you been watching football to have seen a multitude of transfer success and disasters? Transfers and signings are a dark art, you get a load of success like we've had the past 3 seasons, and now we have a bit of a struggle.

The conversation would have been to a trusted 35 experienced pro at HT last week:
Are you okay Glenn?
Yes boss.
Will the knock effect you?
No boss.
You're absolutely fine to start the 2nd half?
Yes boss.

End of chat. You don't take your top scorer off at HT 1-0 with the other side down to 10. We simply didn't play well enough, and the 10 played out of their skins, it happens. I remember us down to 9 against Burnley after 20 mins and would have won had CMS not put his boots on the wrong feet...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here