Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
An under-the-radar 22 mile week for me last week and still only 12th in the Strava Club distance table. Time was when that would have got a medal :lolol:

Off to Lytham again this week which is lovely and flat, just like Worthing. Planning a couple of quickish early morning loops and hoping to be at Worthing Prom for parkrun on Saturday, which will be a nice little pre-amble for Worthing 10K the week after. Hoping for a 23 or 24 something and then a 49 something which will have me tracking ahead of when I last ran the sequence of BM10K - Worthing - Phoenix - Bright10 to prepare for an autumn and winter of marathon training.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I think at the minimum you just need to post your time and AG and a very nice and competent person will do the rest, unless your IT skills mean that you can DIY? But there's other stuff you can populate too if you look at the table. The convention is that it's your 5K AG that 'counts' although I'm sure that AGs earned in other events are sometimes better. Noted that you are Worthing based, so there's a bit of a get-together at next week's Worthing PR. (Although mutual recognition is a bit of a challenge for some of us.)

BTW if your AG is better than 80% then you have hit the jackpot: this is the NSC Runners' 4 minute mile equivalent according to @knocky, AKA 'The Gaffer'.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Done a few Park runs over the years. But that involves getting my arse out of bed, in the car and 6 miles down the road before 09:00 on a Saturday morning. Whereas some people can wake up first thing in the morning and pound the pavement, I’m very much a later in the day runner.

I’ll still do the occasional outdoor run to mix it up of course. Variety is the spice of life and all that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Each to his own but I think the tedium factor of doing a treadmill twice a day might be an issue? You might want to play around with the inclines to introduce a bit of variety?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I think at the minimum you just need to post your time and AG and a very nice and competent person will do the rest, unless your IT skills mean that you can DIY? But there's other stuff you can populate too if you look at the table. The convention is that it's your 5K AG that 'counts' although I'm sure that AGs earned in other events are sometimes better. Noted that you are Worthing based, so there's a bit of a get-together at next week's Worthing PR. (Although mutual recognition is a bit of a challenge for some of us.)

BTW if your AG is better than 80% then you have hit the jackpot: this is the NSC Runners' 4 minute mile equivalent according to @knocky, AKA 'The Gaffer'.

Mainly true. Except the AG does not have to be for the 5K. The table is Parkrun biased due to frequency, their impeccable stats and it being my strongest distance (I'm considering making it 3K biased). However, any long distance runners are welcome to post an AG from any other distance, if higher. We could always put in bold the distance that it is from. The AG has to be for the current calendar year.

Hopefully there won't be a surge of new AGs pushing us out of medal position!

https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator is the nearest to Parkrun calculations so we could use them.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just managed to squeeze into my swimming wetsuit that was tight 10 years ago and have 10 minutes in the sea. Apart from hyperventilating whilst swimming with the 12 degrees temperature hitting my head it was OK. So daily swimming from now on.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I was rather pleased with my Park Run PB on Saturday. With the Edinburgh marathon coming up this weekend it was totally unexpected. I was careful not to push too hard but felt good all the way along. My mile times were 7.47, 7.52 and 7.42 so happy with that. My first aim was over 60% age-graded score which I can now put a big tick by! Next aim post marathon season will now be to dip under 24 minutes. I have the Worthing 10k on the 3rd of June so my plan is to push that as hard as I can and see what I am capable of over that distance. Then I will be away in Russia for the World Cup so when I am back will look at a few more Park Runs (Saturday was only my 11th PR) before switching back to marathon mode in September for the Loch Ness marathon. Still a snail compared to most on here but my challange is always my own PBs and I am loving running at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I was rather pleased with my Park Run PB on Saturday. With the Edinburgh marathon coming up this weekend it was totally unexpected. I was careful not to push too hard but felt good all the way along. My mile times were 7.47, 7.52 and 7.42 so happy with that. My first aim was over 60% age-graded score which I can now put a big tick by! Next aim post marathon season will now be to dip under 24 minutes. I have the Worthing 10k on the 3rd of June so my plan is to push that as hard as I can and see what I am capable of over that distance. Then I will be away in Russia for the World Cup so when I am back will look at a few more Park Runs (Saturday was only my 11th PR) before switching back to marathon mode in September for the Loch Ness marathon. Still a snail compared to most on here but my challange is always my own PBs and I am loving running at the moment.

Great post. Hopefully the increased speed will come in useful to help get you away from Putin's trained yobs.........:)

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
hey guys, I came home with an unexpected PB of 1:21:15 at the Hackney Half yesterday. I've still been feeling the fatigue in my legs since the Milton Keynes Marathon two weeks ago so I wasn't planning to go after a time and went into it relaxed which probably helped. I was really surprised and somewhat confused how comfortable it felt but I was really enjoying racing. Super happy to shave off 2 minutes from my previous 1:23 PB at the Big Half in March where I felt horribly uncomfortable and could not enjoy it. I guess some days it just comes together...

First time doing Hackney and I think it might be my new favourite half to date. It's a fun route, great organisation and lively vibe. There's a steady uphill in the first mile and at the end around miles 12 & 13 but the rest of the route felt pancake flat and fast. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a London-based half.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Mainly true. Except the AG does not have to be for the 5K. The table is Parkrun biased due to frequency, their impeccable stats and it being my strongest distance (I'm considering making it 3K biased). However, any long distance runners are welcome to post an AG from any other distance, if higher. We could always put in bold the distance that it is from. The AG has to be for the current calendar year.

Hopefully there won't be a surge of new AGs pushing us out of medal position!

https://www.runnersworld.com/tools/age-grade-calculator is the nearest to Parkrun calculations so we could use them.

Apologies for misleading. And yes it is ENTIRELY coincidental that 5K is my best event too. (Although I've done a few quick 4 milers in my time.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
'...........Just managed to squeeze into my swimming wetsuit that was tight 10 years ago.......'

Desperately trying not to visualise this!

Knocky.jpg

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
hey guys, I came home with an unexpected PB of 1:21:15 at the Hackney Half yesterday. I've still been feeling the fatigue in my legs since the Milton Keynes Marathon two weeks ago so I wasn't planning to go after a time and went into it relaxed which probably helped. I was really surprised and somewhat confused how comfortable it felt but I was really enjoying racing. Super happy to shave off 2 minutes from my previous 1:23 PB at the Big Half in March where I felt horribly uncomfortable and could not enjoy it. I guess some days it just comes together...

First time doing Hackney and I think it might be my new favourite half to date. It's a fun route, great organisation and lively vibe. There's a steady uphill in the first mile and at the end around miles 12 & 13 but the rest of the route felt pancake flat and fast. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a London-based half.

WOW! Are you doing the Weakest Link, or any of the 10k's the NSCers are planning? It would be good to try and sit in behind you and see how long I can keep up for! Outstanding pace, very well played and especially considering the marathon exploits of 2 weeks ago. :bowdown:

I went out and did 4 x 1 mile sprints during my lunch break, the exact splits are to follow but the first was 6:06, the second and third were about 6:15 and the final one would have been in the region of 6:20 and I was absolutely blowing chunks at the end of it. I only took 60 seconds recovery between each set to push myself to the max, I was basically on the limit from the start. I'm definitely going to be attacking the parkrun on saturday with a view to toppling the tyrannical [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

Ha! Well done, just when I though you were in reach you bugger off into the distance! :lolol:

Mind you, I think I've got a bit of work to do to get back to my pre-Marathon peak. I struggled around 10 miles today, not helped by a heel blister. I took full advantage of the kids paddling pool when I got home though, sitting myself down in the cold water for a good five minutes.

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
WOW! Are you doing the Weakest Link, or any of the 10k's the NSCers are planning? It would be good to try and sit in behind you and see how long I can keep up for! Outstanding pace, very well played and especially considering the marathon exploits of 2 weeks ago. :bowdown:

I went out and did 4 x 1 mile sprints during my lunch break, the exact splits are to follow but the first was 6:06, the second and third were about 6:15 and the final one would have been in the region of 6:20 and I was absolutely blowing chunks at the end of it. I only took 60 seconds recovery between each set to push myself to the max, I was basically on the limit from the start. I'm definitely going to be attacking the parkrun on saturday with a view to toppling the tyrannical [MENTION=18183]big nuts[/MENTION]!

Thanks very much! I need to find out what the Weakest Link is and what 10k's are in the NSC diary. I don't get down from London as much as I'd like but will try. Nice work with today's intervals. Excellent pace with only 60 secs recovery!

Artie Fufkin

like to run
Mar 30, 2008
out running
Ha! Well done, just when I though you were in reach you bugger off into the distance! :lolol:

Mind you, I think I've got a bit of work to do to get back to my pre-Marathon peak. I struggled around 10 miles today, not helped by a heel blister. I took full advantage of the kids paddling pool when I got home though, sitting myself down in the cold water for a good five minutes.

Thanks! With you on the fatigue. I think there's benefits to dialling it back a bit after a period of prolonged training volume, intensity & racing, that's when we're most prone to picking up an annoying injury. Also with you on the cold bath recovery option. After the initial mind-numbing shock I find it helps with the legs. I have to be really careful not to scream expletives with my kids in the house when I take the plunge though.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Hard session but I'm more interested in who were you keenly chatting to in the Bus Stop at Churchill Square last night.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Thanks very much! I need to find out what the Weakest Link is and what 10k's are in the NSC diary. I don't get down from London as much as I'd like but will try. Nice work with today's intervals. Excellent pace with only 60 secs recovery!

The first is a fun event. http://brightonsports.co.uk/the-weakest-link-relay-run On the Wednesday night 6pm meet on 20th June.

The other is Wednesday evening around 7pm Hove Lawns. It's the Brighton Phoenix AC 10k and is a very competitive field With winner coming in at around 31" but open to the likes of us. It's the 13th July.

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012

Hugely impressive times especially 2 weeks after your marathon. Even had enough in the tank to up the pace on the final 3 miles :clap2::clap2:

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Just managed to squeeze into my swimming wetsuit that was tight 10 years ago and have 10 minutes in the sea. Apart from hyperventilating whilst swimming with the 12 degrees temperature hitting my head it was OK. So daily swimming from now on.

I really think you should wear that at Leeds castle. You trying to get out of it may give me an opportunity to catch up.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here