Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got back from watching the Berlin marathon and witnessing a truly astonishing run by Kipchoge. He took 1 minute and 17 seconds off the world record with a time of 02:01:40. I was near the finish line and atmosphere was great as we watched his run live on a big screen....and seeing his splits get faster and faster towards the end. Crazy stuff.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Today's lesson is, if you get up at stupid o'clock to run, and have a strong coffee to wake you up, pick a route with public loos that are open at 7am. Got round, but only just.....

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Never, ever start a long run without lightening the load.......or, as you say, plan your route very carefully.

Sound advice. Had to get out early this morning so only had time for one small release. It played on my mind that another could be on its way so went west at the pier rather than east as better facilities. Thankfully no further drop offs required.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ran Bedgebury Pinetum Park run yesterday. Great course through the pinewoods on a decent path with added bonus of the pine trees fragrance masking the sweating 180 runners labouring up the tough hills. I narrowly beat a tiny kid who couldn’t have been much over 3 feet tall. I went over to congratulate him and discovered he was 9 and three quarters with a pb of 19:40:bowdown:

Love that place - Parkrun,fry up and mountain biking make for a great Saturday there. Second best post PR brekky after Bevendean.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Today's lesson is, if you get up at stupid o'clock to run, and have a strong coffee to wake you up, pick a route with public loos that are open at 7am. Got round, but only just.....

That’ll explain your slightly anxious expression when I tooted at you on Old shoreham Road around 8am!

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Ran the Goodwood Runing Grand Prix this morning 20 mile event essentially eight laps of the car racing circuit. Treated as a training run and finished in 3:05 which I am very happy with as I really just wanted to get the distance after a couple of dodgy weeks running.
Strange event as there are marathon, 20 mile, half marathon, 10k and 5k events on the same track. All the events start at different times (the longest first) but by midway you have all events running simultaneously- you have no idea if you are being over taken by a fast marathon runner or if you are overtaking a slow 5k runner. There is one set of mileage signs - used for all of the events. Apparently this was to help us know how many laps we had left - so you’ d run past a13 mile to go, then say a 20, then a 4. God knows how anyone without a watch knew where they were!
The course was ok but by the sixth lap it got pretty monotonous (except for the Mariachi band!). How you guys did the velothon and plan to do the Amex I do t know- lapped courses are not for me!

Chris Evans ran the half (2:45) and Vassos Alexander the full marathon. I saw the former leave in his open topped Roller.

Finally, looking at the results I was delighted to find I’d won my age category- ok there were only two entrants but a win is a win right!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed, and why mile 12 was my quickest of the lot :lolol:

39c03912dd8d0a69d47313297f9b632c.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Ran the Goodwood Runing Grand Prix this morning 20 mile event essentially eight laps of the car racing circuit. Treated as a training run and finished in 3:05 which I am very happy with as I really just wanted to get the distance after a couple of dodgy weeks running.
Strange event as there are marathon, 20 mile, half marathon, 10k and 5k events on the same track. All the events start at different times (the longest first) but by midway you have all events running simultaneously- you have no idea if you are being over taken by a fast marathon runner or if you are overtaking a slow 5k runner. There is one set of mileage signs - used for all of the events. Apparently this was to help us know how many laps we had left - so you’ d run past a13 mile to go, then say a 20, then a 4. God knows how anyone without a watch knew where they were!
The course was ok but by the sixth lap it got pretty monotonous (except for the Mariachi band!). How you guys did the velothon and plan to do the Amex I do t know- lapped courses are not for me!

Chris Evans ran the half (2:45) and Vassos Alexander the full marathon. I saw the former leave in his open topped Roller.

Finally, looking at the results I was delighted to find I’d won my age category- ok there were only two entrants but a win is a win right!

Good work, any prize ? .......I wasn’t aware of this until last week, might have entered the marathon. The lap thing is mostly mental - in some ways it’s easier as you can break the race into very obvious sections. Seriously thinking about doing a 24 hour track event next year with a min 100 mile target (400 laps).

Vassos is a very good runner - he did the SDW100 2 years ago - he was somewhere around 20th in less than 20 hours I think. He’s also completed the spartathlon in Greece. Sophie Raworth also from BBC news has got heavily into ultra running as well (and she’s fast too).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I always love looking at the expressions of the people in the background of that photo :lolol:

Just got back from a very hot and sweaty 17.5k run. So much for the weather starting to cool down in September! I made sure I picked a shady route with a few water fountains.

As for The Famous Canadian Beer Run yesterday, I didn't try and get to the front to win it from the start. I only managed 1k of gentle 6 minute pace, chatting to a couple of my mates in the crowded, narrow start. I just can't be in any kind of race and run slowly though, so my splits were quite amusing:
6:02
4:25
4:04
4:07
4:02
You can see the point where I started taking it a bit seriously!

Important tip: after running 5k, don't stand in the hot sun drinking beer all afternoon. I've got a CRACKING singlet sunburn on my back :lolol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I’ve recently got back into straight running - ie not triathlon - at my local park-run. I’d forgotten just how lung bustingly hard a 5K at full effort is!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Out of interest (and jealousy) how many and what kind of drinks got you very drunk? Probably an age thing but there’s no way I would be at bevendean Park run at 9am after a skinful. My head would’ve been thumping and more. How do you do it?

To be fair, I don't drink very often so I am totally unused to it. I had 4 pints of Thatchers and then 4 regular JD and cokes. Nothing too special, but more than enough for me. I felt pretty dire from the start, I cycled 5 miles to get to the start line which helped a bit but I was in a dire condition. When I ran it last time, I led from start to finish minus a hundred yards or so down the first hill. This time I was 5th going into the big hill at the back of the course. I was first by the end of the hill because everyone died a bit and I'm a comfortable hill runner. The pace work killed me!

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Great run, wondered where you were going at that time of day!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Absolutely. 800m is pushing it and 1500m is ultra distance. Just seen that my 2018 Strava tally has stalled from 400 something after the Brighton Marathon to 493 miles 5 months on.....lazy ****.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] Funnily enough I looked at that today.......10 weeks or so more or less not running has ruined my numbers. Languishing just over 900 at the moment, will struggle to make 1500 this year ☹️

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here