Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Homeless in Brighton

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
it's far beyond the point of 'becoming' a problem...it's been a fully fledged problem for a while now. The homeless services in this city are very overstretched and the problem is only going to get worse with cuts

this is my vocational field so don't really want to dominate this thread but I'm happy to answer any questions

If any are ex servicemen & women, there are charities such as, Soldiers off the Streets, Royal British Legion, SSAFA and various Benevolent Trusts, which can provide housing and financial help. A lot of ex services don't realise they qualify or ask for help.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
[MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION] do you know what sort of percentage of homeless people in Brighton are actually from Brighton? What are their migration patterns like?

Oct 25, 2003
Perhaps the Albion should hand out some free tickets to homeless people over the next few games . Actually support them and make them feel part of this community . There are going to be plenty of empty seats over the next few games after all . It's a terrible shame that the safety net has bigger and bigger holes in it and but for the grace of god many of us could be in that position . Perhaps the players could chip in with a weeks wages each which would be enough to start to build and finance a new homeless centre in Brighton & Hove . Mind you that's not a solution to the problem - the solution is to show the Tories the door

a new centre isn't really needed- there are already 4 day centres in the city. An AITC hostel would be great though!

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well brave yourselves because if the Tory thieves get in again they have pledged to cut 12 Billion from welfare, 6 Billion of which is to be cut from disabled claimants so expect to see a lot more limbless/ mentally I'll/ War veterans on the streets over the next 5 years if the British don't wake up and vote these *******s out.

Tory thieves, you say?

You are free to give as much of your cash as you like, or even take out a loan to make a donation to Shelter.
In fact, give more than you have, sell your valuables, remortgage your house if you are lucky enough to own one, give it all. When you have got to the point where to pay the interest on your debts, and your bills and other outgoings, that you need to borrow more money, with a bit of luck someone will stop you, and take control of your spending before you are declared bankrupt, and you put your whole family on the street.

If we kept spending like Labour did, we would all be on the street, only with no one to beg off.

So how much has the bighearted Nibble donated to homelessness Charities?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
the problem definitely isn't being ignored, a lot of the problems are financial. The council simply doesn't have the money to provide accommodation for those that need it (even people with local connection status are placed on a waiting list for hostels) and private renting comes with expensive start up costs and need for a guarantor etc.

the homelessness services in Brighton are probably the best in the country

Are there any volunteering opportunities for someone with a full time 9 - 5 job. This is something I want to look into after I have finished a part time course I am on until the end of Summer. I know you can volunteer for shifts at night shelters operating from November through March- maybe that would be the best thing to look towards doing.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Becoming a problem? Old steine and clock tower now overrun on a daily basis, something needs doing.

What do you imagine needs doing?

Who needs to do it?

Before you posted this, I guess you saw some homeless people, Did you stop to see if you could help them? Or did you just walk on by while thinking to yourself that "something needs doing!"

Who made you believe that it was anyone's responsibility but your own?

Try not just walking past next time, something does need doing, and it starts with you.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Where do you get these numbers from, the figures I found were 61970 homeless and in temporary accommodation and 2774 living rough.

These figues relate to those deemed to be in priority need, for example if you have dependent kids, or suffer from a severe physical or mental illness. There are many, particularly the young (18+) and single, who are considered to be homeless but not in priority need, and as a result the local authority have no duty to provide temporary accommodation.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
You lot must be young there has always been quite a high profile of homelessness in Brighton, I would suspect that Brighton would be one of the better environments to be homeless, climate, tolerant and I suspect a quite progressive number of charities and initiatives to help them be clothed, sheltered and fed.

Its really not the type of issue to start bouncing around political point scoring as there must be a set of circumstances that might befall any of us that would at least make us absolutely desperate.

This is a complex problem driven mainly by mental health and drug dependency issues, with an element actually choosing that this how they might like to live again driven by mental health and drug dependency issues.

If any of you think they are unwashed, begging and swigging out of a 'whitelightning' bottle at 9am because their benefits have been trimmed are just being unfairly flippant towards them and their struggles.

aberllefenni

Jan 15, 2009
Maybe homeless people should be able to jump the housing queue before immigrants. Look at the explosion in roma gypsies in Yorkshire who have first dips on housing. 750 family's have been given houses and none work. Tension is rising between them and the Pakistani locals as these familys have between 4 and 12 family me members. Family includes mum and dad, children, ganddad and grandma etc.

This is a complete myth. Applicants are assessed on their circumstances irrespective of their immigration status.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If you vote Tory things will only get worse, £12billion worth of welfare cuts, people in work having their housing benefit sanctioned if they don't look for more work will only add to the levels of homelessness

Trouble is, Tories automatically assume they are the Übermensch and that nothing bad can ever happen to them. Untermensch is other, poorer, people. Good luck with assuming that lasts forever :thumbsup:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Trouble is, Tories automatically assume they are the Übermensch and that nothing bad can ever happen to them. Untermensch is other, poorer, people. Good luck with assuming that lasts forever :thumbsup:

So you are saying that a Tory will support cuts on the basis that they will not be affected because they are rich, and it will only affect the poor, and so it's Ok.

That's what you believe?

Oct 25, 2003
[MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION] do you know what sort of percentage of homeless people in Brighton are actually from Brighton? What are their migration patterns like?

people from the city have access to government funded housing so SHOULDN'T be homeless for very long. When I say government funded housing I mean hostels. These hostels aren't that great generally and can be quite chaotic so people do often find themselves caught in a bit of a rough sleeping/hostel cycle.

The % should be fairly low...certainly most people I come across are not from the area

Oct 25, 2003
Are there any volunteering opportunities for someone with a full time 9 - 5 job. This is something I want to look into after I have finished a part time course I am on until the end of Summer. I know you can volunteer for shifts at night shelters operating from November through March- maybe that would be the best thing to look towards doing.

i will PM by the end of the day

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
If you vote Tory things will only get worse, £12billion worth of welfare cuts, people in work having their housing benefit sanctioned if they don't look for more work will only add to the levels of homelessness

It seems according to TChild that you're politically waffling without actually knowing much about homelessness and its causes.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
It's true isn't it ? Otherwise there would be more fairer ways of distributing cuts if in fact the cuts were needed

That's some lazy logic.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
not to worry though dave has promised 2m more jobs, so we will be OK

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So you are saying that a Tory will support cuts on the basis that they will not be affected because they are rich, and it will only affect the poor, and so it's Ok.

That's what you believe?

Yup. Put the snouts-in-the-trough 2008 bankers in jail en masse and I might start to believe otherwise. These c*nts robbed your granny's pension as sure as if they nicked her handbag.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here