Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Rubbish. Different question then.

So, it’s the same question in every genera election. Should we do away with these until they change the question?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I see a general trend of people who voted remain coming round to accepting Brexit, and not wishing to undermine or try to reverse it (although this is not the case on NSC of course!)

Is that something you "see" through your rose-tinted glasses?!

All the polls are saying the public are increasingly getting less confidence that May will deliver Brexit and increasingly regard her government's handling of Brexit as poor.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
You know you are talking about Grimsby right, the place that had its fleet decimated thanks to the EU. They have reinvented themselves as a processing port, their proposal of a Free Trade Zone or Free Port Zone or Free Enterprise Zone for a specific local zone, call it what you like is not a new concept by any standards.
Seems a bid daft to criticise them for looking at solutions that could enhance trade after we have left the EU.
I think you will find that the Grimsby fishing fleet was decimated ( actually they lost a lot more than 10%) because they had caught all the fish! That's why we had the Cod War in the 70's with Iceland because we had started wiping out their stock too!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Rubbish. Different question then - and a lot more people were taken in by the establishment's insistence that if you voted 'no' you were either a left wing loony (like Ton Benn) or else an ultra-right fascist (like Enoch Powell). We were never allowed a vote to join the EU, and as for my logic having 'a hole the size of a supernova' - that's complete hyperbole; or bollox, if you prefer!.

And the question would be different once we know the deal. They were promised the world e.g. The 350 million that was the crucial reason they won according to leave campaign and various other points. So the question is based on a different premise isn't it? Give it another year and lack of workers in NHS and another season of rotten food and see the economy struggling and see what a vote will be in 12 months!

At least house prices are now acknowledged to be falling in London and south east. Bizarrely this good news will be portrayed as bad. Funny old world we live in.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Anyway, Grimsby is a massive importer of fish - from Iceland, which isn't in the EU. As fish is a major - and I mean major! - part of Iceland's rather fragile economy, I can't exactly see them queuing up to impose sanctions or trade barriers!

If fish processing from Iceland is such a great business, why are they looking for an exemption from Brexit?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is that something you "see" through your rose-tinted glasses?!

All the polls are saying the public are increasingly getting less confidence that May will deliver Brexit and increasingly regard her government's handling of Brexit as poor.

The government is pretty incompetent and, yes, may agree that the handling of Brexit has been poor. You would have to be a remainer with rose coloured glasses, though, to think that that indicates that people want to call off Brexit and sink back into the clutches of the EU.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They were promised the world e.g. 350 million that was the crucial reason they won.

Sigh.........

Why is it that only frustrated remainers continue to believe that anyone ever took that seriously?

At least house prices are now acknowledged to be falling in London and south east. Bizarrely this good news will be portrayed as bad. Funny old world we live in.

Can't disagree with that!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I think you will find that the Grimsby fishing fleet was decimated ( actually they lost a lot more than 10%) because they had caught all the fish! That's why we had the Cod War in the 70's with Iceland because we had started wiping out their stock too!

Well you always live and learn.All the history books say that the Cod War was caused by Iceland unilaterally extending their territorial waters by about 50 miles and ramming German and British trawlers.Glad you could correct the world with your unique knowledge of events!:thumbsup:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Sigh.........

Why is it that only frustrated remainers continue to believe that anyone ever took that seriously?

Frustrated remainers? Who was that chap who said that the £350m claim was (a) a lie and (b) one without which the referendum would have gone the other way?

That's the one. Dominic Cummins. Campaign Director of Vote Leave. If anyone knows about the effect of that particular lie it would be him.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sigh.........

Can't disagree with that!

As pointed out by others. That did clinch it. Seriously. You need to see the data.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Frustrated remainers? Who was that chap who said that the £350m claim was (a) a lie and (b) one without which the referendum would have gone the other way?

That's the one. Dominic Cummins. Campaign Director of Vote Leave. If anyone knows about the effect of that particular lie it would be him.

It was the lie that conned a lot of people. If those in cabinet who were in the lie can't deliver, they need to do the honourable thing and join Patel, Fallon etc

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They extended their territorial limit in order to keep their Cod stocks unlike us who fished them almost to extinction.

Other than tourism that is about their only resource, and having seen what we had done to our own Pilchard, Herring and Cod stocks they took preventative action. Believe me, we were brilliant at wiping out fish stocks long before the EU came about.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
still leaving though:thumbsup:
regards
DR,

I wouldn't hold your breath. The referendum was simply an aid for the politicians to decide (that is what a democracy is) we vote them in, and they decide.

If a referendum was made to have my arm chopped off and i lost it. Doesn't mean i cannot still argue against it. After all i am allowed an opinion, that is democracy.

Theresa May still cannot admit she wouldn't vote remain again and she knows more about it than us.

Food remaining unpicked and rotting in fields: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/aug/05/brexit-uk-food-industry-eu-fruit-veg-pickers

Nurses 96% down since brexit and hospital wards are closing: https://www.theguardian.com/society...istering-to-work-in-britain-since-brexit-vote

9000 banks planning on leaving the UK after brexit: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...eu-european-union-jpmorgan-hsbc-a7724231.html

The argumnet for Brexit about soverignty. Parliament has always been sovereign: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...endum-campaign-brussels-article-a7559556.html

The British government has always retained full control over its own border controls. They just never operated them: https://fullfact.org/europe/border-security-eu/

This thread fooked me off long ago but since i last posted more and more fact based evidence is coming to light about the horrors of brexit.

note: don't expect a response from me should you respond to this. Lifes to short.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
regard her government's handling of Brexit as poor.

I've not heard anyone be that positive about it for ages. I am of the belief that they should all, ALL OF THEM, be getting on with this and not trying to continuously score points against each other. It's a total bloody farce. The choice has been made (wrongly in my view) but they need to get the best out of it that they can. Which I have very little confidence that they can achieve. Woefully inept.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Bedwetters and anti-democrats still blathering on I see.

As pointed out by others. That did clinch it. Seriously. You need to see the data.

Did it? Care to provide a link to the data?

If you want to believe Dominic Cummings ...''The cold reality of the referendum is no clear story, no ‘one big causal factor’, and no inevitability – it was ‘men going at it blind’. The result was an emergent property of many individual actions playing out amid a combination of three big forces"

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't worry Mr. NHS, Penny has arrived in cabinet. Those queues for the operating theatre will soon be gone

Capture.JPG

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
They extended their territorial limit in order to keep their Cod stocks unlike us who fished them almost to extinction.

Other than tourism that is about their only resource, and having seen what we had done to our own Pilchard, Herring and Cod stocks they took preventative action. Believe me, we were brilliant at wiping out fish stocks long before the EU came about.

:lolol:
So,there were only British trawlers there?:lolol:Why do people like you make out the British as the only villain all the time?If you don't like being British,go somewhere else.:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here