Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is a shame that you see it that way. Do you also think it wrong for the UK government to incentivise business to set up production facilities in poorer areas of the UK, using money raised from taxes in London?

You have a point actually. Maybe London should stop subsidising Stoke, after all this is what they voted for.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I have mostly given up reading the nauseating drivel spouted on here usually by loony brexiteers! So from that opening statement you should be able to work out where I think the best future for this great country lies! However, I was wondering in the history of NSC where does this thread currently lie in terms of length of pages of posts? And what are the odds on it getting to 5000 or 10,000 pages????? :albion2::kiss::shrug:

I think the answer to your question depends largely whether Brexit happens or not. If its shelved after a 2nd vote (still unlikely at this stage) it might not make it to 5000, if we go ahead can see a continued binfest as the true cost becomes apparent

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
What on earth are you going on about? I posted those numbers to show that the argument that all the EU care about is getting 50 billion. My point is that 50 billion is relative small change. The wider point is that if they lost trade with us it would be inconvenient and hit people on the pocket. If we lost trade with EU then we go broke. This is why they hold the aces in negotiations. No matter how many pretend this isn't the case.

Is that lost trade or cease trading? As for the arguement about them holding the aces, is this a buyers or a sellers market? They want our money, we want their trade. The farce of negotiations that are going on amount to the EU having a list and not moving from that, they will have to give something otherwise they will not be in receipt of a pay off from the UK. As with all political discussions we will be told at some stage that the negotiators worked late into the night and came out with an agreement.

There will be an agreement, but it won't come until the last minute and all the smiling faces at the photo opportunity subsequently will say they have got a good deal. Everything up to then will just be froth, speculation and conjecture.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
UKIP MEP launches petition to free British fishing from EU law...

Meanwhile in Grimsby they want an exemption from Brexit

Class!!
Not really. Just two reports about people with conflicting ideas. The MEP is pro-Brexit. The Grimsby lot are remainers. Nothing 'class' about the juxtaposition of the two articles.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think the answer to your question depends largely whether Brexit happens or not. If its shelved after a 2nd vote (still unlikely at this stage) it might not make it to 5000, if we go ahead can see a continued binfest as the true cost becomes apparent
And you don't think there will be a binfest if the politicians betray the democratic will of the majority and weasel out of Brexit?

Hmmmm......and remainers claim to be the realists!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And you don't think there will be a binfest if the politicians betray the democratic will of the majority and weasel out of Brexit?

Hmmmm......and remainers claim to be the realists!

I think we need to find out what the democratic will is, now the electorate have viewed the utter mess the government (and their vote) has made?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I think we need to find out what the democratic will is, now the electorate have viewed the utter mess the government (and their vote) has made?
That rather interprets as, 'I am a remainer and I think the EU is wonderful so I want to keep having referendums until we get the 'right' answer'. I see a general trend of people who voted remain coming round to accepting Brexit, and not wishing to undermine or try to reverse it (although this is not the case on NSC of course!)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Not really. Just two reports about people with conflicting ideas. The MEP is pro-Brexit. The Grimsby lot are remainers. Nothing 'class' about the juxtaposition of the two articles.

Just a sec, didn't everyone in fish want Brexit as it would be utopia outside the EU? Think they've finally woken up and realised Farage was no fishermans friend

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just a sec, didn't everyone in fish want Brexit as it would be utopia outside the EU? Think they've finally woken up and realised Farage was no fishermans friend
Just a sec, it's the Cluster organisation Seafood Grimsby and Humber that is calling for an exemption, not 'everyone in fish'. 'Everyone in fish who is in the CBI' maybe, but we all know where the bosses' organisation the CBI stood on Brexit, don't we.
Anyway, Grimsby is a massive importer of fish - from Iceland, which isn't in the EU. As fish is a major - and I mean major! - part of Iceland's rather fragile economy, I can't exactly see them queuing up to impose sanctions or trade barriers!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

You know you are talking about Grimsby right, the place that had its fleet decimated thanks to the EU. They have reinvented themselves as a processing port, their proposal of a Free Trade Zone or Free Port Zone or Free Enterprise Zone for a specific local zone, call it what you like is not a new concept by any standards.
Seems a bid daft to criticise them for looking at solutions that could enhance trade after we have left the EU.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
See the Canaries are fed up with the EU's stalling,and obfuscation.They want to sign a separate deal now for free trade,free movement,etc.,as they are so dependent on the Brits.If there is no movement from Barmier etc. this week,tell them we're leaving now,and watch the unified front vanish as the Germans,French,and Dutch rush to protect their exports!:thumbsup::whistle::whistle::whistle: tick-tock,tick-tock,tick-tock :bigwave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
That rather interprets as, 'I am a remainer and I think the EU is wonderful so I want to keep having referendums until we get the 'right' answer'. I see a general trend of people who voted remain coming round to accepting Brexit, and not wishing to undermine or try to reverse it (although this is not the case on NSC of course!)

We keep having them general elections as well. Maybe we should stop having these?

Jan 30, 2008
i never said all brexit voters were tory. I simply said that the hardcore play a huge role.

Saw this on twitter. Makes you think.

Brexiters are pushing the line that people are going after johnson and patel because they were leading figures for #brexit. Have heard this across three news programmes tonight.

Here's an alternative exlanation: Brexit campaign was led by liars and liars eventually get caught.
bit like project fear for remain , that's why you lost :thumbsup:
regards
DR

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
That rather interprets as, 'I am a remainer and I think the EU is wonderful so I want to keep having referendums until we get the 'right' answer'...

By this logic, we should never have had a referendum last year. The issue was settled in the referendum of 1975, when we voted to join.

Not saying that's what I believe, but your logic here has a hole the size of a supernova.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Er... in what way is that an answer or response to what I said? And why are you responding when it wasn't directed at you anyway? That's some very strange behaviour, but I guess if you're enjoying yourself it's fine.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You know you are talking about Grimsby right, the place that had its fleet decimated thanks to the EU. They have reinvented themselves as a processing port, their proposal of a Free Trade Zone or Free Port Zone or Free Enterprise Zone for a specific local zone, call it what you like is not a new concept by any standards.
Seems a bid daft to criticise them for looking at solutions that could enhance trade after we have left the EU.

What they are looking at is solutions to fix the problem Brexit creates, or may create if we go further out of the EU than a Norway type deal. They would not need any special exemptions or status if we remain in the single market.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
By this logic, we should never have had a referendum last year. The issue was settled in the referendum of 1975, when we voted to join.

Not saying that's what I believe, but your logic here has a hole the size of a supernova.
Rubbish. Different question then - and a lot more people were taken in by the establishment's insistence that if you voted 'no' you were either a left wing loony (like Ton Benn) or else an ultra-right fascist (like Enoch Powell). We were never allowed a vote to join the EU, and as for my logic having 'a hole the size of a supernova' - that's complete hyperbole; or bollox, if you prefer!.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here