Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fitness Trackers

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Dear NSC. I'm thinking of delving into the world of fitness trackers (I can hear the cries of don't waste your money you won't be using it in a couple of weeks) but all the same I would like to hear your collective views/experiences.

I used one many years ago for running (a Garmin forerunner) which was good but very chunky, battery was poor and it died (along with my running!).

Have you got one? Do you use it? Any regrets? Is it any good? What activitie(s) do you use it for mainly (steps/running/cycling/swimming etc)? Is it comfortable to wear?

Cheers MG

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have a Garmin Forerunner 235 but only really use it for running, it's good for what it is bur I regret spending so much money on it when something a lot cheaper would have met my needs.

Got my Dad a Fitbit Charge HR 2 for Christmas which seems OK but the step estimate between our 2 devices never seems to correlate, have some serious doubts about the accuracy of both watches although I trust my Garmin a bit more.

If you are just wanting to measure steps just get a pedometer, the sleep and heart rate features of the expensive watches are nice to have info but a bit gimmicky and not particularly accurate. The garmin thinks I get 10 hours sleep a might when I'm lucky to get 5. Phone apps seem to be better at measuring sleep.

Edit: I also have a separate PoolMate watch for measuring number of lengths in the pool which is cheap and works well but has no use other then for that. I can't keep a count of lengths in my head. The combined swim, bike and run Garmin watches are super expensive and bulky.

Last edited:

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
I use the Sony Smartwatch 3 when I got running. It syncs with my Android phone and has a reasonable good built in GPS tracker, meaning I can track runs without taking my phone with me. It's also able to store music on it (has limited memory) which can be listened to using Bluetooth earphones.

I wear it almost every day and the battery lasts about three to four days (I turn it off overnight), but dies significantly quicker if it's being used to track activities.

It doesn't have a heart rate monitor.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it, especially as I managed to buy it on Amazon about eight months ago for only £80.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
IMO it doesn't really matter if it isn't 100% accurate, your aim generally is to do 10,000 steps a day, if you actually do 9,400 or 10,600 it doesn't really matter its the fact you are getting encouragement to do the exercise by tracking your steps/distance

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I have the old chunky Garmin Forerunner 305, possibly the same as yours. Battery died 2 years ago. I bought an £8 replacement battery on Ebay. Then I had to solder the new battery into the watch connectors and reseal the unit with a glue for plastic. Didn't expect it to work but it's still going over 1,000 miles on.
Apart from the huge size, it's brilliant with great accuracy. I can't be bothered on counting steps. Get to work on what you have........

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
Am tempted by the Garmin Vivosmart and Fitbit Charge 2 (Apple Watch Series 2 a tad on the pricey side)

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I used to have an old fashioned pedometer. Thought it was a quirky little gadget as a kid and would keep motivating me to get outside and move. Now though I don't see the point in their high-tech descendents.

I don't need to spend 100 or more quid on an accessory telling me how many steps I've taken, how many hours "sleep" I've had, and other gimmicks. For people my age they're just unnecessary. A fashion accessory that won't serve me any useful purpose. I can tell how many hours sleep I get each night because I might wake up still tired the next morning. I can tell if I've taken 10,000 steps per day because I walk everywhere.

Alba Badger

Mar 14, 2016
Straight outta Felpham
I have had my fit bit HR for over a year and love it. It has seriously got me off my arse and love the fact that family and friends that have them also can fight it out in weekly competitions. Great motivation if you are competitive.

When I got mine I had a nasty reoccurring ankle injury that put me out of football for 3 months and the Fit Bit helped me recover and motivated me to get out walking every night. I also spend most days at my desk or in the car so it gives me the kick up the bum to get out and move around.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
Another FitBit Charge HR user here.
I echo the sentiments about the accuracy not being overly important. It's more about having something that concentrates the mind every now and then - whether it's competition with friends or family, or just being able to see how inactive you are some days so you do something about it. I wasn't exactly overweight in the first place, but have lost a stone of useless fat in 18 months mostly by walking more.
I like the fact thaty Charge HR (mk1) is relatively small, though it's still slightly annoying under shirt cuffs. I personally wouldn't get on with one of the really bulky ones.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I got a Fitbit charge and have had nothing but problems with it over the 18 months I've had it.

First one didn't work out of the box so was replaced. Second one the strap fell off after a couple of months (common problem if you read their support forum) so that went back. Third one the battery wouldn't last a day so that went back. Now on my fourth which has been the most stable however 6 months down the line and the strap is starting to come away again like it did on the second one so I'm not sure how long this one will last.

Aside from that they are great. The app and site are really good IMO and although I've had tons of problems their support is top rate and replaced each time with very little hassle. The device must talk with a mother ship as they knew that my battery was dying quickly on the third one.

Question for charge HR users....are the straps more like watch straps and replaceable or are they glued like the Charge?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I got a fitbit charge 2 for Christmas and love it. I'm not using all the apps yet as still getting used to it, but it is great!

Tracks heart rate, sleep, water intake, food, steps, floors, exercise including on a bike etc.. Its a really clever bit of kit

matt

Mar 19, 2007
I got a Fitbit charge and have had nothing but problems with it over the 18 months I've had it.

First one didn't work out of the box so was replaced. Second one the strap fell off after a couple of months (common problem if you read their support forum) so that went back. Third one the battery wouldn't last a day so that went back. Now on my fourth which has been the most stable however 6 months down the line and the strap is starting to come away again like it did on the second one so I'm not sure how long this one will last.

Aside from that they are great. The app and site are really good IMO and although I've had tons of problems their support is top rate and replaced each time with very little hassle. The device must talk with a mother ship as they knew that my battery was dying quickly on the third one.

Question for charge HR users....are the straps more like watch straps and replaceable or are they glued like the Charge?

The Charge HR original version, which I have, has an integral strap which can come unglued. The new Charge HR 2 has a replaceable watch-type strap.

I'm into my third year of using a Fitbit and, with the exception of having to request multiple replacements for strap problems, find it a great motivator for being more active.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I seem to be the only one that hasn't gone FitBit... I have the Samsung Gear Fit 2 and love it so far.

Pros:
- GPS is really good for tracking runs;
- 3GB storage for music on the device in case you don't want to carry your phone about with you and works with bluetooth headphones;
- Tracks steps and number of flights of stairs climbed, with the ability to change and up/down your targets;
- HR monitor is fun if a little alarming at times;
- Very lightweight and comfortable;
- Tracks everything back to the S Health app on my phone.

Cons:
- Battery life can drain quickly if doing multiple sessions of exercise a day but the longest I've stretched it is 2 days;
- Haven't yet found a way to do a summary of all activity in a month via the app.

Really like it to be honest. I'll be interested to see how it lasts over the next few months.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I have had charge hr for just over a year. Between Xmas and new year the strap broke but I called them, sent a picture and had a new one two days later.

My step counter is accurate (sadly I counted) and the sleep is interesting. Three pints I get disturbed sleep but more than that and much better.

My biggest irritation is that the time is not on permanent display so if I check the time in meetings it looks like I am being very rude tapping my watch or making obvious looking at watch gesture.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
The Charge HR original version, which I have, has an integral strap which can come unglued. The new Charge HR 2 has a replaceable watch-type strap.

I'm into my third year of using a Fitbit and, with the exception of having to request multiple replacements for strap problems, find it a great motivator for being more active.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cheers. Think I'll probably get one of them when this one falls to bits. As I said aside from the build quality I really like everything else.

My biggest irritation is that the time is not on permanent display so if I check the time in meetings it looks like I am being very rude tapping my watch or making obvious looking at watch gesture.

Assume it's the same with the HR but certainly on my Charge you get get the display to activate on wrist turn. It's not perfect but does work. Have a look in settings on the app/website. It came with a firmware update so you may have to do that as well.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I'm on my third fitbit and can't recommend it more highly. First two I had were the fitbit charge and then the Charge HR. Both were great other than the strap which as fitbit well know is not fit for purpose. However they will give you a free replacement with little or no fuss.

End of last year I went onto the Charge 2 and it is a lot better. not least because the strap is much more durable, is not glued on, so if you have a problem you can literally unclip it and get a new one. however at the moment it seems much much better than the old straps.

The steps is a good motivator and the ability to track yourself against friends works well. It also has the heart rate monitor which I also find interesting. Added to that is the Fit Star app which has some good work outs. I'm not sure how good it is if you do a lot of running as I don't use it for that, but it says it tracks to GPS etc so I would imagine it is competitive.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I should also add the battery on the Fitbit Charge 2 lasts a long time without charging, and it charges fully very very quickly.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Cheers. Think I'll probably get one of them when this one falls to bits. As I said aside from the build quality I really like everything else.

Assume it's the same with the HR but certainly on my Charge you get get the display to activate on wrist turn. It's not perfect but does work. Have a look in settings on the app/website. It came with a firmware update so you may have to do that as well.

Yeah it works with a wrist turn but it needs quite a jerk so can't be subtle.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Am tempted by the Garmin Vivosmart and Fitbit Charge 2 (Apple Watch Series 2 a tad on the pricey side)

I just got the Vivosmart HR (mainly for running) and I really like it. The GPS & HR monitor are accurate, the battery life is very good and it syncs seemlessly with Strava and Nike+ through Garmin Connect. Unlike some I've not found the display too dim.

MonkeyGland

Jul 3, 2008
I just got the Vivosmart HR (mainly for running) and I really like it. The GPS & HR monitor are accurate, the battery life is very good and it syncs seemlessly with Strava and Nike+ through Garmin Connect. Unlike some I've not found the display too dim.

Thanks for this...How long between charges? (I assume it depends on activities but a rough guide would be useful to know)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here