Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup Opening Game

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
So Saudi Arabia lost their heads on the field today.

Looking on the bright side, at least they'll be used to it when they get home.

No way, it isn't N Korea. They'll just be buried up to their necks in the sand - right next to a nest of scorpions.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
They don’t let NZ have direct entry because they are worried about the standard - but This lot are fine?

Australia, who are better than NZ, and left the ‎Oceania‎ Confederation because the quality was too poor, finished below Saudi Arabia in their Asian qualifying group.

When the World Cup gets expanded, Oceania will automatically get one place.

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Erm 16 more team <> 16 more worse teams

I quite enjoyed it. Crap football on TV is better than no football. And it's the World Cup, you take the dross with the good, and some great finishes

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
First, I don't think it was as bad as you're making it sound. Couple of quality goals at the end there.

Second, yes it instantly becomes more enjoyable because it's the World Cup. You can see how much it means to each team, the effort and intensity they put in, when they might not have the quality. There's only three games in the group stage - and so each one becomes immensely important. Just like cup finals, title deciders, etc are instantly more enjoyable games of football because of what they mean - even if the games themselves are dull 1-0 results. I've seen far worse quality in the lower divisions of English football and still enjoyed it.

It's interesting to see the styles of different teams from around the world. You could see Saudi Arabia were trying to play passing, technical football - but they didn't have the quality to get past Russia, who will have surprised everyone with that performance, in their own country. The atmosphere was great.

It was the two lowest ranked teams in the tournament, but I was entertained. You could improve the quality of the World Cup by cutting the teams and restricting it to just the European and South American teams, but I think that would be a bit shit really.

Maybe you're just not that into football?

Maybe you are right, I rarely sit through any poor TV matches just because its football, except Brighton of course.
But I was surprised that even for the 2 lowest ranked teams just how poor they were, especially Saudi.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
There has to be a change in Asia qualifying - if they finished above Japan I might swerve the Samuri matches altogether.

What a shame there's no Italy, who would smash the Saudi's. Holland, as well would have a chance with their younger side now and another Brighton player to watch in Davy Pròpper.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
There has to be a change in Asia qualifying - if they finished above Japan I might swerve the Samuri matches altogether.

What a shame there's no Italy, who would smash the Saudi's. Holland, as well would have a chance with their younger side now and another Brighton player to watch in Davy Pròpper.

Agree. No Italy or Netherlands but complete toilet like Saudi Arabia :mad:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Come on, this was tremendous. What wasn't to like? Comedy defending? Check. Unpronouncable names? Check. The thought that if you, yourself, were transported on to the field of play you'd probably enhance things? Checkola. Putin doing mad "wow, I can't believe we scored" type getures just in case there's been a bit of financial skulduggery before shaking the hand of a man who wants, very badly, to cut it off. Massive, great big check.

This IS the World Cup folks. We love the Tardelli celebrations and the Zidnae headbutts because 99% of it is like this. I can't think of a better thing to drink a beer to.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
In other news, man watched paint dry. The highlight of the event was the paint running into more corners than the Saudi WC team !:yawn:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Come on, this was tremendous. What wasn't to like? Comedy defending? Check. Unpronouncable names? Check. The thought that if you, yourself, were transported on to the field of play you'd probably enhance things? Checkola. Putin doing mad "wow, I can't believe we scored" type getures just in case there's been a bit of financial skulduggery before shaking the hand of a man who wants, very badly, to cut it off. Massive, great big check.

This IS the World Cup folks. We love the Tardelli celebrations and the Zidnae headbutts because 99% of it is like this. I can't think of a better thing to drink a beer to.

I do like the quirky sides like Panama and Iceland plus Honduras were simply hilarious for some of their shocking challenges at the last World Cup. Karim Benzema nearly got capitulated! But they chased for every ball. The same can't be said for Saudi Arabia, who, this afternoon, had a player see the ball run out for a corner and didn't even make any effort to make it a throw-in instead.

Early days though. 63 matches still to savour. :drool:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I love watching a hammering. Russia played well

One game played and i'm addicted.

There won't be much quality v quality until the knockout stages, but clearly teams from all over the world need a chance to show they can spring a surprise. It won't be Saudi Arabia this year, but every tournament there is an unfancied team who storms to the QF or SF's and that's part of the tournament's great drama

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1007325731007840256[/tweet]

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Russian players today, written off as hopeless by the entire world beforehand, demonstrated amazing athletism. Each one faster, more powerful, with greater stamina, than their opponents. Almost as if on steroids and amphetamines.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here