Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lamps

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When will he be inducted in the "playing the Derby way" mantra.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Looks like he’s getting the Derby gig. Good luck to him, good to see young guys getting the opportunity instead of the same older heads all the time and for him to cut his teeth at a lower level than the EPL. With Stevie G at Rangers too makes for interesting times.

I hope that he proves to be a good manager as it will help bring about a new era in football away from the old failures who are lined up for every job that becomes vacant.

TBF, Derby have appointed Clough Clement, Wassell and Rowett in the last few years - none of them is an old lag with a string of failures behind them. There are some clubs who take their next manager from the merry-go-round but Derby (let's draw a veil over Dutch Schteeve) aren't one of them. FF is an appointment in the same vein.

el punal

I just wonder if he’ll be able to generate a spark of energy into a team that lacks power. Motivation is not something that you can switch on and off, he’ll have to fuse the players together to allow any perceived brilliance to shine through. On the other hand If he’s not able to transform the team then the board will be asked throw some light on the situation rather than keep everyone in the dark.

I shall now return to the shadows. :drink:

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
The brightness of this appointment should not be underestimated , Frank will be a shining example amongst a pit of what seems never ending gloom , his brilliance as a player will rub off on quite a few thus far lacklustre players and turn them into glowing examples of how one persons luminescence can dazzle them and in doing so and raise the spirits of thousands who will in turn fulgurate for Frank for many years to come .

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Good luck to him. He could've taken the easy option and just stayed in a Sky Sports studio talking a good game, as so many of his comrades choose to do. But he's taken the plunge by taking a proper job on and I hope he makes a success of it.

We always have such a DERTH of choice when it comes to appointing managers for England. We need more ex-players like FF who have spent their careers at the highest level taking up managerial posts like this and gaining experience, instead of being in a studio with Sam Matterface pushing graphical blobs round a tactics board. He might be a success, he might not, but he's giving it a go and he deserves credit for that IMO.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Odd appointment given they tried inexperience so recently with Clement

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Me too to be honest. Dare l say that if it wasn't for the sake he is the famous Frank, he might well have to search lower down the league for his very first managerial experience.

A case of who you are, rather than what you know, perhaps?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Me too to be honest. Dare l say that if it wasn't for the sake he is the famous Frank, he might well have to search lower down the league for his very first managerial experience.

A case of who you are, rather than what you know, perhaps?

Well of course. No guarantee he will succeed, but who he is is due to the wealth of experience played at the top level. I don't see how that is favouring him as top players will listen more readily to someone who has been there and done it rather than a journeyman footballer from the lower leagues who has worked his way up.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I love lamp.

I said exactly this. Anchorman reference.

But that aside, I really do like Lamps and think in time he will make an excellent manager. I'd like to have him at the Albion one day. He will benefit from great contacts in the game and I expect him to do very well. Just hope Derby give him the time to develop as I don't see him doing it in one season.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well of course. No guarantee he will succeed, but who he is is due to the wealth of experience played at the top level. I don't see how that is favouring him as top players will listen more readily to someone who has been there and done it rather than a journeyman footballer from the lower leagues who has worked his way up.

Exactly.

FF is a man who has spent his career in dressing rooms and on training fields with some of the best coaches and managers in the world. He comes across as fairly bright and articulate, so I'm sure some of those managers methods will have rubbed off on him. He's been there and done it all as a player so in that respect he brings a wealth of experience to the table, and players respect that. I gather he's got his coaching badges as well, he was coaching kids at Chelsea, so this is a good chance for him now to make the next step.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Indeed, and if he succeeds it would be a breath of fresh air. My only point is, that a less high profile player, probably wouldn't get the cnance to manage at such a high level, in his first managerial appointment. That said, if things don't go well, his fall from grace could be all the greater.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here