Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack..."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He couldn't fault our performance, that tells you enough, were screwed.
the man at the helm can't see the problem.

Except he did."we probably lack that little bit of guile and quality in the final third...I was disappointed with the goal we conceded. I thought it was a very soft goal, particularly for a team that I thought defended resolutely right through the 90 minutes'

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
It started on about 88mins when Southampton looked tired, the game stretched, Ulloa was having an impact, and we did look the more threatening, briefly. I think it was more the fans appealing to the players to give it one last go. We got a corner, March duly stuck it straight into the keepers gloves.

I don't mind backs to the wall defending, played a few games myself scoring early, and absolutely no tactical instruction from our manager, we ended up defending for 75mins, just sort of happens, other team needs to score, who've got something to defend. Loved a successful rear guard action - we just need to defend better!

Tactically Chris needs to stop us scoring too early. :thumbsup:

This !
It's so obvious.
We cannot defend a lead for 75 minutes.
Our plan should be not to score until 75th Minute then we only have to defend a lead for 15 minutes plus added time. (Simples)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
People don't spend three hours in traffic jams and £20 on match tickets for sensible, soporific pragmatism. We want to be entertained, or at least not to have our evening reduced to waiting for the moment the equaliser happens.

"If you want entertainment go and watch clowns" - Alan Durban. When Mike Bailey adopted that philosophy here most of our fans sodded off to watch clowns, or at least 'not football'. We may have finished 13th one season but the drop in numbers was the beginning of the gory years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was truly dire under Mike Bailey.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Shambolic?

This is so far off beam as being just silly. The one thing that can be clearly state about last night was the we were organised, an very difficult to breakdown.

Whether we deserved more or less from the game is pointless, as you don't gain points on what you deserve.

The organisation, are you referring to the pass-hoof or the hoof on its own, or the pass-pass-pass to a Southampton player, or our inability to string four passes together? Just wondered like.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
There were a few chants of "Attack Attack Attack" against West Brom too.

This chant started in the second half away at Newcastle. I felt a bit worried by it the time, as it seemed to be aimed at Chris Hughton's tactics and not the players. That was a game where we were the better side, with Newcastle there for the taking, but as the second half wore on we started to sit back and settle for the point.
Against West Brom the chants started when we were 1-0 down and we didn't look to have the attitude to get back in the game.

Our away fans are the die hard supporters of this club, who rarely show dissent to anything the Albion do on the pitch. But at the moment it feels like the love is being tested. I'm worried about the reaction on Saturday, if we don't go for West Ham early on. Will we start to hear dissent at the Amex? I really hope not.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Perhaps the fans should've shouted 'defend defend defend'
Reverse physcology and all that....................
We have have a decent defence, that defends really well, but if IMO, we go on all out attack, we're at the mercy of the counter attack, which without a decent defensive midfield cover, we will get ripped a new one!

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
It reminds me of the two guys running away from a lion one says to the other do you think we can outrun the lion to which the reply is no but I only need to outrun you

Last night we won a point as did the three teams directly below us our goal differance is substantially better in my option CH knows what he's doing better than a bunch of sofa surfers and school kids

Our GD " substantially better?
Bmuff -8
Watford + Saints -11
WHU + Newcastle -12
Palace + WBA -15
BHA -16
Swansea -18
Huddrsfld + Stoke -25

I'll give you Huddersfield and Stoke but don't hold yer breath over our GD. With our run-in, it will get progressively worse. ( Beginning of Dec it was -1.....End of January -16.....End of season projected -25 )

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I remember when some of us fans at the end of last season were very unhappy with how we went down without a whimper in the race for the Championship title.

At that time it was stated that if we took that no fight mindset into the PL we'd be coming straight down. Seems nothing has changed (yet) to suggest that we have changed or improved our desire to fight for anything when it gets a bit too hard and so much is on the line.

**** me there's grumpy and there's ****ing grumpy.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
This !
It's so obvious.
We cannot defend a lead for 75 minutes.
Our plan should be not to score until 75th Minute then we only have to defend a lead for 15 minutes plus added time. (Simples)

See....it takes a great mind to come up with the answer.
I was wondering last night about how we get round this problem of ' long term ' defending. Now its obvious. Score later. Ten men behind the ball for 75 mins, frustrate and bore the opposition into mental fatigue and then bring your strikers on. Saves all that wasted effort for 75 mins. Cmon CH, you know it makes sense.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I'm kinda torn. In normal circumstances, any point away from home is an acceptable return in this league. However, last night in the first thirty minutes or so, Southampton were really dire and there for the taking. They were disorganised and that was the time to go for the throat. They would surely improve & they did. They appeared to pick up after the Ryan incident. That is nailed on for 'what happened next' on QOS one day. From then on, we retreated into our defensive shells & never looked back. We had a decent attack just before HT but in the second, did we have a shot on goal? Second half, we sat deep and invited them to go for the equaliser, which they duly did. A little bit more bad luck and the point would have been blown.

Given how last nights game panned out, I feel it was a missed opportunity, even though we achieved the par acceptable one point. Attack, to quote the old cliche, can be the best form of defence. Against a sub standard Southampton team, that should have been the option. One point last isn't a disaster as most others around us gained no ground, aside from Bournemouth. Saturday against an injury riddled West ham team, the chance of nicking three points is there. The potential winnable games are slipping away & BHA must start being more positive at home.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Scoring for fun away from home 71/72 43 goals scored more than goals at home.:thumbsup:

Wasn't it a record for away wins as well, something like 12 or 13? I remember 5-0 at Halifax and 0-0 at HT at Shrewsbury, that turned into a 5-3 win. Don't show CH the stats, he'll have nightmares!!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Yes I was there, and enjoying a quality defensive display.

If there isn't a lucky deflection off Izquiredo on the drilled free kick, we probably would have come away with a win, given that Southampton's best chance was down to Ryan trying to be Czech an gift them a call.

That was exactly my take on it.

And sitting at the opposite end to the Away fans, the best thing about the evening was...... the away fans. 'Nuff respect. Wish I had managed to get a ticket up there. i was about 10 minutes too late and then missed all the subsequent flutters of availability.

Stumpy Tim

No the musings of some idiots who think they know more about coaching and managing a premier league team then CH. They completely overlooked the double change at half time by Southampton which improved them going forward.

This is the point I think. Southampton made a double change to try to alter the match. Hughton didn't react to that change, and we just dropped deeper. Why can't we make proactive changes like that?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
This is the point I think. Southampton made a double change to try to alter the match. Hughton didn't react to that change, and we just dropped deeper. Why can't we make proactive changes like that?

Like at West Brom when we took Izquierdo off after 45 minutes ?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The while atmosphere at Southampton when we went 1-0 was resigned. They were there for the taking and we let them off the hook. The attack attack attack was sung at West Brom too.

The reality of our situation is that we don't get into the early 30 points by end of Feb we are probably doomed as the fixtures after that are so tough.

Last night was the stop of the four games that REALLY matter. We have to be getting some wins and last night was a fantastic opportunity to get one against a team low on confidence, even lower after we went 1-0 up. Their crowd turned against them. It was there for the taking and all we did was sit further and further back.

We have a limited team in terms of talent but I think Hughton underrates them, always talks up the opposition. Southampton were poor and we should have taken advantage of that instead of letting them back in the game. We are at least as good as some of these teams, but we are conceding ground far too easily when in strong positions. For anyone that went regularly last season, this is nothing new either. There were plenty of games where Hughton did exactly the same as last night, but got away with it because the Championship is weaker. Villa stands out. ten men and we still decided to drop back and defend. Come on, we are better than this.

Hopefully Locadia will change things, but I am very worried he will just drop into the current 4-4-1-1 system which is clearly not working. Same old thing every single away game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here