Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
You must have some good nostrils on you Dave?..
On our way.

To be fair, it's that strong that I think a jellyfish with anosmia could smell it

You're on your way, you're on your way
How will you get there?
You don't know
Where are you going?
No idea
All you know is that you're on your way

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Will there be 48 letters delivered to the 1922 committee? My MP has written one but that's not surprising seeing as she's in the ERG

I don't doubt that your MP has done but it was stated on the radio yesterday that a lot of MPs had joined the ERG purely and simply to curry favour as the majority of their constituents had voted "Leave". Doesn't mean that they will all write letters en bloc. It was suggested that only half of the MPs in the ERG would write.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The 48 letters would trigger a Tory leadership chanllenge - not a general election.

And May would certainly win. The ERG's most optimistic projection is that there'll be about 100 MPs voting against her, nowhere near enough to unseat her. What's more, under Tory party rules, there can't be another leadership election for 12 months.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The numbers of leavers getting distinctly worried is showing now. You can bluff and bluster all you want, but you can smell the fear now. The amount of 'not worried' on NSC alone is a pretty good indication.

I have most of them on ignore so I don’t have to read their drivel. I did however get to read this one due to the fact that you can’t ignore a mod......

Seriously? That slimeball. Clueless.

That's it for me. She needs to go and go now. Let David Davis take charge with Boris and Dominic Raab. Get Brexit through then let Raab takeover and call a general election.

In times of crisis you need a man for the job. David Davis is that. Probably not a great Prime Minister for anything else, but Churchill wasn't either. One policy PM for a year to get us through this and out properly then let fresh blood Raab go for it.

I'd be happy with that.

I think this one is quite telling with regards to an indicator of Brexiteer fear. Some of them seem to be so obsessed with the principal of Brexit that it overrides any iota of common sense that may be left in the Brexiteer brain. We have reached an absolute omnishambles of a situation whereby the country may end up being totally broken up by the whole sorry affair and yet rather than consider the wholly more sensible options of cancelling the thing or at least going back to the people to check if this is what they really want, this poster actually thinks the better way forward is to appoint one of the main instigators of this fiasco as PM, so he can force through an even shitter than May’s deal/no deal Brexit.

I know cognitive dissonance is hard to process but some of the mental hoops people are jumping through in order to avoid admitting to themselves that they were wrong is quite staggering.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
And May would certainly win. The ERG's most optimistic projection is that there'll be about 100 MPs voting against her, nowhere near enough to unseat her. What's more, under Tory party rules, there can't be another leadership election for 12 months.

Now that's interesting and may well have an effect.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
this poster actually thinks the better way forward is to appoint one of the main instigators of this fiasco as PM, so he can force through an even shitter than May’s deal/no deal Brexit.

I know cognitive dissonance is hard to process but some of the mental hoops people are jumping through in order to avoid admitting to themselves that they were wrong is quite staggering.

Here's Simon Fraser. former head of the foreign office, on Davis. "David Davis was a terrible #Brexit Secretary. He could hardly be bothered to go to Brussels & rapidly lost respect there. Preposterous for him now to suggest that EU deliberately delayed negotiations. They spent months waiting for him to engage."

Senior civil servants very rarely publicly criticise politicians. Davis must have reached a whole new level of incompetence to warrant that sort of response.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have most of them on ignore so I don’t have to read their drivel. I did however get to read this one due to the fact that you can’t ignore a mod......

I think this one is quite telling with regards to an indicator of Brexiteer fear. Some of them seem to be so obsessed with the principal of Brexit that it overrides any iota of common sense that may be left in the Brexiteer brain. We have reached an absolute omnishambles of a situation whereby the country may end up being totally broken up by the whole sorry affair and yet rather than consider the wholly more sensible options of cancelling the thing or at least going back to the people to check if this is what they really want, this poster actually thinks the better way forward is to appoint one of the main instigators of this fiasco as PM, so he can force through an even shitter than May’s deal/no deal Brexit.

Very much this. So we are about to crash in to a brick wall do we brake? No, let's accelerate!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I don't doubt that your MP has done but it was stated on the radio yesterday that a lot of MPs had joined the ERG purely and simply to curry favour as the majority of their constituents had voted "Leave". Doesn't mean that they will all write letters en bloc. It was suggested that only half of the MPs in the ERG would write.

BBCSouthEast reported three from our area alone, including Ms Caulfield. The other two are from Gravesend and Crawley.

Last edited:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

A proposal so staggering that the former Permanent Under-Secretary of the FCO lost all diplomatic restraint yesterday in regards to it.

[tweet]1063339421527879680[/tweet]

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Weekly, no. The precedent that has already been set for every 40 years is perfectly reasonable. There's only one group of people that believe referendum after referendum until they get the 'right' result is democratic way. Plenty of them on here....................

Every 40 years, mes Europhiles désespéré, every 40 years.

Why do you keep peddling this every 40 years drivel? There was no appetite whatsoever for a referendum for at least 25 of those years (UKIP was formed in 1993 and made no impression for years) and judging by the mood of the nation now, we could have another one tomorrow and leave would be annihilated.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Will there be 48 letters delivered to the 1922 committee? My MP has written one but that's not surprising seeing as she's in the ERG

All Government whips have been instructed to report to Parliament today rather than attend constituency business and it's being said the 48 are now in.

Game on.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Really this situation was inevitable really from the moment when, after failing to win a majority in the election last year, the Government arrogantly decided to negotiate alone on the biggest issue in the country. Had it sought cross-party support at that point it would probably not find itself in the current mess, as while the fringe lunatics would be squealing whatever the Government would be able to get a deal through.

As for the "Britain didn't vote to join this in the 1970s" argument, I can only assume the people making that argument have never actually read the Treaty of Rome. You ought to, it's a fascinating read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Rome

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But if there is a Tory leadership contest, which muppet is the least worse of the likely candidates, and whoever it is, will it lead to any significant change in direction, I doubt it.

The 48 letters would trigger a Tory leadership chanllenge - not a general election.

My thinking is an extreme Brexiteer like JRM leading the Tories will make the Brexit totally un-passable in Parliament......some reflection and common sense will then have to take place as to what the **** is going on with the country and it’s supposed leaders. Bring on the Moog!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I wish our politicians would be courageous enough to say we cannot leave; it’s impossible, once you’re in there’s no escaping. Like the Prisoner. For all the reasons endlessly repeated. Like it or not, we are joined at the hip with Europe and to separate we’re being handed a saw and no anaesthetic with the very real risk of bleeding to death and the EU saying ‘best of luck, get on with it’

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside, feeling a bit let down by the EU. I think they’ve conceded too much. Quite a few areas where they should have played much harder imho. Ho hum.

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
An extreme Brexiter is unlikely to get in as the ERG don't have the numbers to get one of theirs onto the ballot. It's not even a guarantee that May would lose a vote to trigger a full leadership contest in the first place.

Even someone like Boris Johnson, while popular with the membership, is widely loathed by his colleagues in Westminster and as such is hugely unlikely to make it onto the ballot. My money remains on something along the lines of May vs Gove, which will turn into this deal vs "Norway for Now" as he's been sounding out in recent weeks.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
An extreme Brexiter is unlikely to get in as the ERG don't have the numbers to get one of theirs onto the ballot. It's not even a guarantee that May would lose a vote to trigger a full leadership contest in the first place.

Even someone like Boris Johnson, while popular with the membership, is widely loathed by his colleagues in Westminster and as such is hugely unlikely to make it onto the ballot. My money remains on something along the lines of May vs Gove, which will turn into this deal vs "Norway for Now" as he's been sounding out in recent weeks.

This could end up being exactly like Redwood v Major in '95. I think The ERG could just be using this a 'show of strength' to May that her deal is a total non-runner in terms of parliamentary arithmetic. Anyone with any genuine pretensions to ever being PM would be mad to have a pop for this now.

I think it'll just be another clueless, Eurosceptic oddball putting themselves forward.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here