Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is Lewis Dunk abusing the ref?

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Jacqui Oatley seems to think so.

https://twitter.com/JacquiOatley/status/1061985932180623360

[tweet]1061985932180623360[/tweet]

My opinion is that he is reacting to the red, he isn't facing the referee, the refs face doesn't alter, so he hasn't heard it.

I was always told growing up that it was unacceptable to attack the referee verbally. However, it was passable to react to a decision in a negative fashion as long as you didn't make it personal.

For example, Dunky shouting "F*** Off" is fine, whereas had he shouted "F*** Off you incompetent little twerk, before you make an idiotic decision, learn to read, go to your local library and then get out a copy of Football for Dummies" it would have been worthy of punishment.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was always told growing up that it was unacceptable to attack the referee verbally. However, it was passable to react to a decision in a negative fashion as long as you didn't make it personal.

For example, Dunky shouting "F*** Off" is fine, whereas had he shouted "F*** Off you incompetent little twerk, before you make an idiotic decision, learn to read, go to your local library and then get out a copy of Football for Dummies" it would have been worthy of punishment.

The point of the thread is that from a different angle, Dunk is behind the referee, so not actually shouting at or even to him. but at Cardiff players not in the shot.
People say the camera never lies, but it does.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
No but proves the point, that most of them are only there because of their sex.

She clearly wanted to make a valid point, but being clueless about what she is talking about, has picked totally the wrong clip to make that point with. It's clear Dunk was shouting at someone else.

It would not have been hard for her to find a clip of a premier league player in the referees face. This is just very very very lazy journalism, from someone who no doubt got handed the job, because she hasn't got a cock between her legs. It clear she didn't work hard for the position, as if she had she would tried a bit harder to find a clip that back up her point, which is a serious matter.

If you want to take it further, then if Dunk WAS abusing the ref, why did he not show him the red card, as per the rules. Instead of the blaming the players, I would look more at the premier league referees for failing in their duty. If they sent off premier league players who abuse them, maybe the message would filter,

But no, lets just stick up for the girls and forget the actual serious issue.

She tried. She Failed. Silly bit**:sheep:

Jacqui O is a personal friend of mine so everything I say can be taken as biased, but I can tell you she has worked extremely hard in journalistic terms to get where she is today. The idea that anyone gets handed a job in what is now a cut-throat and highly competitive profession is laughable. She has done her time in the lower leagues (including at Withdean) and knows her stuff.

That, of course, doesn't mean she has got this one right. Personally I think the footage is inconclusive, but she might have been wiser not to post it, especially as her Wolves loyalties leave her open to accusations that it's all sour grapes over Coady (who would no doubt have applauded the referee if he had sent off a teammate in similar circumstances).

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
It's perfectly acceptable to agree or disagree with her on this issue, but the vilification of Jacqui Oatley - a widely respected journalist and presenter with far more knowledge and nous than many on here - just because she is a woman and with such appalling misogyny, is beyond pathetic. I genuinely thought that Brighton fans were a bit more enlightened than that. Clearly some Cro-Magnon throwbacks still lurk on these pages.

For what it's worth, I think that her Tweet comes as a loaded statement, and she hasn't considered all angle and possibilities, so I disagree with her viewpoint. But it's not like any blokes in the know have never done that, is it?

Excellent summary. Jacqui is a very good and professional football broadcaster, and the fact she is a woman is completely irrelevant. The misogyny on show on this thread is very disappointing.

However I also feel the point made was a very unfair and loaded one. He wasnt screaming in the ref's face or running up and jostling him, you could get footage like this from any football match and to use thecEngland angle when he hasnt played a minute yet was also sensationalist in the extreme.

It is amazing that after such a poor display, getting both big and small decisions wrong throughout the game, that Atkinson could in any way be portrayed as a victim. If it wasnt for the incidents at Southampton and Liverpool he would have got a lot more flak than he did. I actually thought the Albion players were pretty restrained as decision after dodgy decision went against them, but youd have had to watch the whole match to know that.

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Jacqui O is a personal friend of mine so everything I say can be taken as biased, but I can tell you she has worked extremely hard in journalistic terms to get where she is today. The idea that anyone gets handed a job in what is now a cut-throat and highly competitive profession is laughable. She has done her time in the lower leagues (including at Withdean) and knows her stuff.

That, of course, doesn't mean she has got this one right. Personally I think the footage is inconclusive, but she might have been wiser not to post it, especially as her Wolves loyalties leave her open to accusations that it's all sour grapes over Coady (who would no doubt have applauded the referee if he had sent off a teammate in similar circumstances).

What is particularly poor, in her view that he abused the ref, is he not once looked at him but was only interested in the Cardiff players all over reacting.

She maybe a friend to you but to the many she has acted to show someone in a bad light and when the truth is obvious, and failed to correct herself.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The point of the thread is that from a different angle, Dunk is behind the referee, so not actually shouting at or even to him. but at Cardiff players not in the shot.
People say the camera never lies, but it does.

Very good point and, as with many others who have seen that, I missed it completely.

However, I am of the firm belief that he hasn't actually don't much wrong even if he was aiming it towards the ref and Jacqui Oatley is causing a storm in a teacup.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think he tells Gunardsson to F off first, then someone running in behind Atkinson. Don't think he even looks at the ref. Shot is foreshortened he's further behind Atkinson than it looks in those shot, he then runs round the front of Atkinson not even stopping to speak or say anything. Think you're wrong as is Oakley, nothing to do with specs.
This is my opinion also, Dunk is speaking to the guy who runs through the foreground towards the end.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
What is particularly poor, in her view that he abused the ref, is he not once looked at him but was only interested in the Cardiff players all over reacting.

She maybe a friend to you but to the many she has acted to show someone in a bad light and when the truth is obvious, and failed to correct herself.

Excellent post. Maybe N.A.N. should have a word with his personal friend, point out her stupidity and get her to retract her statements and apologise to Lewis.

Never gonna happen though is it?!!

On the general point of swearing at refs, I hadn't long qualified as a referee and was at the Goldstone, game against Ipswich I think. For reasons I can no longer recall I was in NW corner. Ball goes out for throw-in (against Albion) and Michael Robinson runs up to the lino and screams in his face "You ****ing blond haired wanker"! The lino didn't flinch and ref took no action. I few weeks later I recounted this episode to a senior referee who told me that whilst in amateur football the player would have been sent off, the officials in the professional game are told to turn a deaf ear.

That was a long time ago now. Perhaps nothing much has changed.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Her tweet has been removed

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here