Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Interesting. chat in the bar

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
We are the finest exponents of team defensive football in the PL. it’s bloody exciting seeing our resilience and resolve. Not good for the stress levels but no one (surely) can say that wasn’t an amazing last 10 minutes

I played for years, and the one game that still really stands out in my memory, and that I felt the best about afterwards was against an attacking team where we defended for 40 minutes, scored a rather fortunate goal, and then defended for our lives for the whole of the second half. I was on the right wing, and I think I only touched the ball in their half a couple of times - nothing to do with me/us not wanting to get forward, just never had the chance. Most thrilling and satisfying game I've ever taken part in.

The stress levels would be far higher if Wolves and West Ham were beating us 3-0 at The Amex after we opened up. The stadium would be half empty on 75 minutes.

When we can afford to pay the agents fees and wages commanded by the likes of Lerma, Felipe Anderson, Neves, Moutinho; then you’ll see us take control of the ball and less of Alamo tactics.

CH is doing a great job of the limited midfield options available.

Yes and part of his job will be getting better midfielders - we could and should be doing better holding the ball. We are very good at defending and hopefully that will give us the breathing space to evolve our play

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes and part of his job will be getting better midfielders - we could and should be doing better holding the ball. We are very good at defending and hopefully that will give us the breathing space to evolve our play

Modern managers leave budgets, player wage structures to the directors.

I doubt that TB/PB are in the market for £80k to £120k a week players such as Neves, Moutinho, Cavaleiro, Felipe Anderson, Maddison, Yarmalenko, Arnautovic; with 'superagents' waiting in the wings demanding £5m for it to happen. The Albion's #together approach with a pay ceiling and great squad rapport, means we're not in for these players who can dominate games or be consistent match winners. At the moment.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Said it on another thread. A small group in the North stand were getting really angry yesterday. Berating the negativity, lack of substitutions etc. Two chants they tried to start, but amazingly didn't catch on, were 'Chrissy Hughton, we're supposed to be at home' and 'Chrissy Hughton is a tosser'. We were of course 1-0 up at the time.

Don’t believe you,that is of course it was you trying to get the chants going! Or have I just been whooshed?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Amazing negativity from some deluded idiots in our fanbase who think entertaining football is more important than results. Pricks.

They have obviously also failed to notice we are missing both of our attacking central midfield players which may well be the reason we've not been as offensive in the last few weeks...
Basically agree with you - but.......... when exactly have we played Propper as an attacking CM?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Bournemouth pack their defence too as shown on MOTD last night. The difference is that when they get the ball, they keep it and break with pace. That is where we are struggling at the moment and CH knows that.

Manager of the season over these 10 matches has to be Eddie Howe, but his side has a bit more Prem experience than us and he's kept the same core together with Brooks being that X Factor.

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
People wetting the bed about the way we win :wanker: I am not fussed at all about us being that horrible defensive team no one likes to play if it means we keep winning!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We know we can, and do, play more attacking though, whilst still being solid at the back. At home at least. We obviously did in the championship under CH and did fairly regularly at home last season. Hopefully this period is more of a phase (albeit still winning which is great!) - i think people are forgetting that we do have propper and gross out at the moment, as well as Izqueirdo just back from injury and new attacking options still getting used to the Prem.

We are missing Pascal Groß, last season's player of the season. We have to play to our strengths and defence is our strongest point, along with making the most of any attack we can mount. I'll take 1-0 wins all day long.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Some of the comments on here are ridiculous and anyone questioning Hughtons approach or judgement need to give their head a wobble after what he has achieved here.

Today’s Argus article shows largely he agrees with most peoples view and is not under any illusions we have been at our best

‘ALBION have been warned to up their game – after reeling off three straight top flight wins for the first time in 37 years.

Manager Chris Hughton was delighted by the 1-0 home triumph over Wolves.

But he has reservations about the way the first hat-trick since 1981 has been achieved following previous victories by the same score against Newcastle and West Ham.

Hughton revealed to The Argus: "I'd prefer to play better I must admit. I am honest and knowledgeable enough to say that we maybe have not played at the tempo I'd like apart from the (Manchester) United game. I think we had spells last season where our performances were better’

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I think what's happened is that we were more attacking at the start of the season and we shipped two goals each against Fulham and Southampton.
I reckon that would've pissed Chris right off, hence the more defensive style in the last few games.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
People wetting the bed about the way we win :wanker: I am not fussed at all about us being that horrible defensive team no one likes to play if it means we keep winning!

This.

With a plan to play with a more aesthetically pleasing style in time once we have CM's able to control the ball, and to do that at home this season against struggling teams. Which I'm sure is the aim, especially when all players are available.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think what's happened is that we were more attacking at the start of the season and we shipped two goals each against Fulham and Southampton.
I reckon that would've pissed Chris right off, hence the more defensive style in the last few games.

That exactly's what happened. Muzza said revealed that in the chat on Sky Sports yesterday morning. "For the last three matches, we decided to go back to basics and build on a sound defence. We were conceding too many goals".

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Some of the comments on here are ridiculous and anyone questioning Hughtons approach or judgement need to give their head a wobble after what he has achieved here.

Today’s Argus article shows largely he agrees with most peoples view and is not under any illusions we have been at our best

so Hughton himself needs to give his head a wobble? ???

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
so Hughton himself needs to give his head a wobble? ???

No anyone who thinks we are deliberately playing cautious non attacking football should read his comments we are not playing to his expectations so criticising the manager is a little ridiculous

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Chris Hughton is doing alright in my (and I'm sure most sensible Albion fans) eyes
Long may it continue - I'm sure the Norwich fan is just jealous

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
the chap has a point though. results are good but we can keep on hanging on game after game, and its not good for the crowd. we seem to be too slow to start games and to happy to accept the 1-0. 1 shoot on goal at home is not good. thing is with games such as against Man U and West Ham we can do more and should do.

Mmmmmmm.....nah. Sorry.

Something else very important to remember is that CH is not happy with our performances. Its not as if he is basking in the satisfaction of a team absolutely fulfilling all his requirements.

This whole thread makes me think of this: Imagine you were living a nice comfortable life, but that your car was a bit meh, and you house a bit old. Rather than save up a bit and make do for a while....you could invest half your salary on a punt at the bookies....what could possibly go wrong???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here