Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Flasks banned from the Amex

rool

Jul 10, 2003
I may be completely wrong here and, to be honest, I've not read the thread, but I'm assuming the bottle lid banning is to stop them being LOBBED as full bottle MISSILES.

An empty/emptying bottle is far less dangerous then a full sealed bottle.

Easily overcome I would imagine, if you did want to use the bottle as a missile, by jamming tissues, serviettes or bog roll into the neck if you were so inclined.

Brian Munich

teH lulZ
Jul 7, 2008
Yes of course that is a safety hazard. But when, except for isolated incidents, has this ever happened? Maybe once at the amex. Ban the perpetrator. Don't take swingeing action where it's not needed.

I've never bought a bottled drink - either alcoholic of soft - at an away game that hasn't had the lid removed, so it's clearly a recognised crowd safety issue. Don't know about the Amex as I tend to buy my drinks in the shape of pints.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The thread title needs to be updated with the policy extension.

No mention of laptops or tablets, which people often have in their bags when coming from work or whatever.

Will staff now remove caps from bottles purchased in the stadium?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I need water when I'm travelling to and from the stadium, therefore it needs to be transportable and not spillable.
I don't even mind buying a bottle when I get there, but then I've got to get home again.

It's getting so that I won't bother renewing next March. I'm not being over dramatic, but I can't cope with all the extra hassle any more.

I feel like that now, not everyone can afford more than £2 for a bottle of drink inside, sometimes it feels like they are going out of their way not to use common sense

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I may be completely wrong here and, to be honest, I've not read the thread, but I'm assuming the bottle lid banning is to stop them being LOBBED as full bottle MISSILES.

An empty/emptying bottle is far less dangerous then a full sealed bottle.

If that's the reason then presumably we will no longer be able to buy bottled drinks in the stadium without having the cap removed.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've never bought a bottled drink - either alcoholic of soft - at an away game that hasn't had the lid removed, so it's clearly a recognised crowd safety issue. Don't know about the Amex as I tend to buy my drinks in the shape of pints.

The club has always allowed bottle tops on drinks taken in and also up til now have sold them with the lids on. No problem whatsoever. So why this ridiculous measure?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

No mention of laptops or tablets, which people often have in their bags when coming from work or whatever.

Will [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] update the thread title please? The info may be useful for people who don't care about flasks but who may want to bring in bottles, cartons etc and who wouldn't particularly like to lose an expensive reusable bottle.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Sounds like Vader Barber is building a full scale hidden Tracy island out of bottle tops and thermos flasks in plain sight. God knows what evil plans he has for world domination.
Before you know it there will be soy milk at the kiosks to feminise the masses and pacify the resistance……mark my words!

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
Any supporters bringing flasks from the Fulham match onward, will need to remove the flask from the stadium area or dispose of it before being allowed access to the Amex. The club will NOT store flasks during the match. Any flasks left outside of the stadium will be disposed of immediately.

There are four possible reasons the club won't be allowing flasks into the Amex:

1) Commercial. PB has addressed this.

2) Explosives. I presume if the club genuinely think a flask could explode then I'd expect them to have a full "Hurt Locker" set up along with a bomb-proof container/storage room to put all the snaffled flasks in. Maybe an x-ray machine for internal examination (For the flask not for the customers.)
I'm curious how this "The club will NOT store flasks during the match. Any flasks left outside of the stadium will be disposed of immediately" will be carried out.

3) Acid.

4) Luzzability.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

They have always (usually ?) removed the wine bottle screwtops ( in my experience ).

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Easily overcome I would imagine, if you did want to use the bottle as a missile, by jamming tissues, serviettes or bog roll into the neck if you were so inclined.

:lolol:

You're talking about someone who has decided they want to make a missile and puts in some work before the LUZZING. You don't see your player get sent off and then say "right, that's it! Dave, pass me those serviettes. Phil, pass me that bottle"

Football doesn't pre-warn the fans that they are about to go mental. It's sporadic and, in those moments, someone may well LOB a full bottle which IS dangerous. Whether it's in anger or celebration.

Look, I'm not defending it but it's very clear from a ELF N SAFETY point why it might seem logical from the club, especially if there has been an incident before.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
A lot of stadiums/gigs I've been to do that.

I've experienced it too. It's a bit crap having your Fanta go flat within 10 minutes unless you drink it immediately. You also have to hold it for the entire time or carefully place on the floor so it doesn't spill. If that's the policy, then I won't be buying any such drinks at the stadium in the future. Not the end of the world (for me) but it all seems a bit unnecessary really - how much damage can a cap do - and when has one ever been thrown at the Amex? When has a full bottle ever been thrown? You can do a lot more damage with a 2p. Will they ban those too?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
and when has one ever been thrown at the Amex? You can do a lot more damage with a 2p. Will they ban those too?

Can't recall when, but a bottle was thrown from the west upper into the lower a few years back. A few people here spoke about it. That's the only incident I can remember being referred to here.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
It won't be long before full body scanners are on the entrances and they see everything we take in. :eek:

Terahertz_Imaging_Through_Clothes_640x48_DE7E38EE-0196-EB6A-D6FE5EF1CECE1304.jpg

tumblr_lutlrqfzK11qbh26io1_500.jpg

rool

Jul 10, 2003
:lolol:

You're talking about someone who has decided they want to make a missile and puts in some work before the LUZZING. You don't see your player get sent off and then say "right, that's it! Dave, pass me those serviettes. Phil, pass me that bottle"

Football doesn't pre-warn the fans that they are about to go mental. It's sporadic and, in those moments, someone may well LOB a full bottle which IS dangerous. Whether it's in anger or celebration.

Look, I'm not defending it but it's very clear from a ELF N SAFETY point why it might seem logical from the club, especially if there has been an incident before.

Ha ha, 'Tarquin, do you mind passing me your cravat old chap'.

It's a likely scenario.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here