Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Are the Tories committing political suicide?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
UK millennials second worst-hit financially in developed world

Not a great time to be under 35, regardless of whether you've been or you're going to be a student.

Relaxing student debt might give young people slightly more hope and marginally reduce their financial insecurity, but this alone is not enough to win their votes - the problem is considerably more severe and complex than just the issue of tuition fees and student debt.

University Vice-chancellors have done rather well since tuition fees went through the roof, they won't want change.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Didn't you say Germany at some sort of health insurance people have to pay.

Eees complicated. But basically, it's funded out of NI (as over here) but the better off pay more. It's not dissimilar to Labour's proposals at the last election. German companies have a higher corporate tax too between 30 to 33% compared to the UK's 19%.

But the OP raises an interesting point. Labour have always been ahead of the Tories among the young but then Tories pick up more votes as people get older. It's not really bothered the Tories because there's not been a big gap between the parties and because the young tend not to vote - while pensioners who tend to vote Tory - do vote.

What was different in the last election was a) the gap between Labour and Con among the U-30s was bigger b) the young voted in bigger numbers and c) the age when people started voting Tory was older (48 was the age when the Tories had a small majority)

I suspect that the older generation thought their own kids would be settled down with a jobs and a home of their own but find many are still living at home and haven't started paying off their student debt. The Tories seem to be making no effort to reduce accommodation costs for the young nor the costs of going to uni - can't help thinking that there'll be rather more middle-aged turning away from the Tories

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Steve Foster;8344608[B said:
]It has always been a Conservative government that has bailed the country out. Very easy for the lefties to sell the nations gold[/B], spend more than what comes in .....

Anyone with a half brain cell, that is not a scrounger would vote for a non left party

It has been covered before but, who sold off all the Council Houses, Gas, water and Electricity, Nuclear power, Telephones, British Rail, Coal, Steel ? You can only sell them once.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Germans...?

You have 6 million Turks there keeping you economy going.

Let's be brutally honest here....your beloved Germans are only marginally better than the Nazi scum of two generations ago.....just in a more 'immigrant friendly form'.

Judging from your previous postings, and their times of day, I’d say this is 2, possibly 3 pints?

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
This thread is talking about the TORIES and whether or not they're committing suicide by further alienating young voters.

Have you thought of mentioning this to your German lover Herr Tubthumper....?

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
I see Theresa May's university review will not scrap tuition fees and she's pledged to keep the £9,250 cap.

Given Labour have said they'll abolish tuition fees, given the young were overruled on Brexit and it is now almost impossible for them to get on the housing ladder aren't the Tories not just in danger of losing the young voters but in creating enough bad feeling to lose their votes for a generation?

The party is a looney case. They deserve nothing but contempt.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Have you thought of mentioning this to your German lover Herr Tubthumper....?

Go on, have another couple of pints and really go for it!

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Let's be brutally honest here....your beloved Germans are only marginally better than the Nazi scum of two generations ago.....just in a more 'immigrant friendly form'.

Congratulations. Myself and anyone else who has read your post is now more retarded for it. That's the how powerful the stupid is in your post.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Go on, have another couple of pints and really go for it!

It isn't me old girl who has written 40,000+ posts on here.....mainly criticising the UK...or on occasion the food at the Amex.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What happens come budget day when Comrade McDonnell has to choose between NHS or university funding?

Oh wait, silly me, it will be self-funding or some other claptrap.

#bustagain

I just knew within 5 or so posts, there was no way you wouldn't be anything but partisan, to the point of being thoroughly amused! I am amazed how steadfast people can be in support of their political party. [MENTION=258]Pavilionaire[/MENTION] makes a point of policy, and you're only comment is regarding the opposition. Try to imagine that whichever political party you vote for, in power there is absolutely no way they could do everything you agree with: q.e.d it is okay to be critical of them from time to time...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It has been covered before but, who sold off all the Council Houses, Gas, water and Electricity, Nuclear power, Telephones, British Rail, Coal, Steel ? You can only sell them once.

which were all net costs for the treasury, and have since had billions of private money invested in them (except the coal and steel, where the foreign producers will undercut us substantially). of course the new Labour pitch is to semi-nationalise them by taking ownership into the state while still asking private money to fund them via bonds. a cracking wheeze for the first parliament but will be a problem when its realised changing ownership doesnt fix problems and bondholders dont want to bailout second/third time when the money is short and more is needed to be poured in. would be more honest for them to nationalise and rise taxes 10% to pay for everything, let people vote for that.

as for the tuition fees, May has missed an opportunity to sink one of Labours ships, could have done something different or been sneaky and changed loans to a graduate tax (Labour previous policy), which is essentially the same except the name.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Trouble is what is the alternative?

Corbyn would be a disaster.

The alternative is to lobby the government, the MP you voted for, sign a petition, add your voice to rethink their policy? Do you seriously vote for a government then just accept everything they do for 5 years?

Not every political discourse has to be what the opposition would do. There are far more alternatives, and May has made several u-turns on subjects because of the reaction of her own voters. That is democracy, not just a general election vote every 5 years.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
What happens come budget day when Comrade McDonnell has to choose between NHS or university funding?

Oh wait, silly me, it will be self-funding or some other claptrap.

#bustagain

Oh the promise everything then realise we can't afford it Corbynistas. If anybody believes anything they say must be the gullibles army. Fastrack to bankruptcy for the UK again

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I find it curious that it was Labour who introduced Uni fees and there was no outcry then that I recall

At first it was a nominal sum but quickly escalated to the ridiculous charge today.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
There was concern last year, that with the pension changes, it would be harder for the younger generation to save for retirement.
Weak wage rises with rises in property prices, add for them to turn to a political party, who may help them.

All this is the results of flooding labour markets for 2 generations. First sexual equality doubled the work force then mass immigration, forcing people to scramble like rats for degrees to get average jobs when boomers, just strolled into jobs with Alevels or less in the 60s.

For that and other reasons we need to get rid of generation garbage and tax their pensions like ****.Why should they carry on living the life of rielly after screwing everything up for Xs and millenials?

Coalburner

May 22, 2017
One reason why there was such an upsurge in the Labour vote at the last election was that Corbyn said he would abolish all tuition fees. This caused the young, who don't normally bother to vote, to turn out in droves and back Corbyn. They were delighted to be offered free education. However, when Corbyn was challenged about his offer, he had to admit that Labour had not done any costings and had to admit that they would not be able to afford what they had promised. We shall have to wait and see how the young vote next time when the carrot has been withdrawn

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I will quite happily vote Labour again, even though I'm quite wary about where Corbyn and McDonnell are coming from - there's definitely something a bit nasty going on in the Labour party at the moment. I will, however, still vote for them and hope the Tories implode into total meltdown - once we are safely out of the EU with no chance of anybody welching on Brexit even if they wanted to.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
A student who takes between 3-5 years out of their earning capacity and goes on to earn more because of their education will pay more tax. They lose income taking time out to attend university and build a debt instead.

It used to be that a graduate, would pay more tax based on them earning a higher wage. Especially should they earn enough to pay the higher rate of tax from currently £45,000 to pay 40%.

Now they are expected to pay that and another tax of 9% on earnings over £21,000.

While someone who gets a vocational education in a trade has no loan.

Education must be based on effort alone and then paid back through our existing tax system based on earnings.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here