Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] It's Just Sunk In...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I'm not sure about that the manager sets up the team, Poyet knew how to beat Palace at home the same way we beat Palace in March yet chose to play the exact same tactics as the away leg which provided about three chances.

It is not as simple as 'we beat them in March so should be able to beat them again' surely

D

Deleted member 22389

I can Poyet lost us that semi final out of spite, not playing an attacking line plus leaving Vicente out of the side criminal I actually feel sick thinking about it.

Was the poo business, clappers beforehand a good cover and excuse to how Poorly we played that night. I think Poyet had the arse, and if he wasn't to get what he wanted, he was not going to get the players up for the match and give us supporters what we wanted. He knew Vicente was a match winner. The whole evening was bizarre for me. Getting on the bus at the end of the match, I did say to a few people something was not right tonight, well as we all found out the day after Poyet was suspended from the club.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
School holidays is it mate?

NSC has a great habit of pulling all the emotional negativity out of people. One or two defeats and all hell can break loose. Alternatively, the club hasn't found the correct alterations to a great squad and once again the negativity streams through. It would be so refreshing for people to just trust in the club, to look forward and not look back at what has been and gone.

I'm quite happy to watch QPR make all the signings they like, it didn't help Blackburn last season did it? Nor did it help Leicester? Absolute certs to go up I recall from various posters.

Like I've said previously, too many people are too concerned about what others are doing or not doing, we don't have to spend for the sake of spending when we have more than capable youth in the ranks who just need a chance...

I think you're being a bit too aggressive about this mate. Everyone else is having a reasonable conversation, so why not stick to that? You make some good points in the rest of your post re Blackburn and Leicester - I just happen to think that Wigan and Reading are better run clubs than those two, granted QPR could go the same way as them, but think they have made some really good signings and Harry is trying to get rid of the bad apples in the squad i.e. Taarabt.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It's alright having great individuals, but that doesn't get you promotion. Everyone thought Leicester and Wolves had one of the strongest squads last season and look ow they finished.

A few tweaks here and there and a decent left back and I'm confident we will be challenging for top 6.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Christ no wonder The Amex is so quiet compared to some other grounds, yep 8,000 the other night but Newport fans made it sound as though they were at home. Two seats away from sat a WBA fan down to see some relatives and he remarked about the lack of noise by Albion fans, why I ask myself. The only time we did make some noise was when the red was shown to Calderon.

Being a nothing game against a club in the bottom tier in which we played crap and lost might've had something to do with it.

Are people taking stupidity pills on her e today or something :shrug:

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Why is everyone panicking after just two games, only one of them in the league?

Funnily enough, i remember everyone panicking like this before we played Southampton a couple of years back...

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
I think you're being a bit too aggressive about this mate. Everyone else is having a reasonable conversation, so why not stick to that? You make some good points in the rest of your post re Blackburn and Leicester - I just happen to think that Wigan and Reading are better run clubs than those two, granted QPR could go the same way as them, but think they have made some really good signings and Harry is trying to get rid of the bad apples in the squad i.e. Taarabt.

Probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one... Apologies for getting overly aggressive first of all.

It's hard to sit back and accept that the club is going backwards when all I perceive to be happening are giants steps forward... the club is so nearly at Premiership standard in terms of infrastructure and FFP, and I personally don't believe we are not ready to push on again this season despite a slow start.

Again apologies, reading that back it does make me look like a complete toby :drama:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
As has been pointed out already, at this stage last season we didn't have Orlandi, Spanish Dave, Upson, Ulloa and Kemy.

We did have Vicente and Bridge

Pardon my french but htf can that be a weaker squad this season ?

I actually think we have a stronger squad than last year, but less chance of getting a playoff spot.

I'd be happy with upper mid-table this season while Oscar settles in and builds his own team, with a push for promotion next season.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
So you're telling me that we fell to bits and failed to score a single goal, over the 2 legs, purely down to the management team? So Ulloa, Buckley, Orlandi, Lopez all played dog shit, because of disillusioned management? Are they incapable of operating by themselves?

Ah, that's it then! You've solved the problem. No need for a manager at all. That'll save a lot of money and we wouldn't have any Poyet angst on here.

Commander

NSC Patreon
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can Poyet lost us that semi final out of spite, not playing an attacking line plus leaving Vicente out of the side criminal I actually feel sick thinking about it.

Of course he did. He wanted to leave, so rather than send his stock absolutely sky high and getting a plum job by taking a team from the bottom of League 1 to the Premier League in 4 seasons, he thought he'd deliberately lose in the play-offs. Because that would help him. And of course, although the players dreamed of playing in the Premier League with all the riches that comes with it, they thought they'd not try either because their outgoing boss told them not to. The final criminal act of course was leaving Vicente out of the side when he openly said he wasn't fit and couldn't play.

Sometimes I actually wonder how a large proportion of football fans make it through the day. It's a wonder they don't forget to breathe or something.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
School holidays is it mate?

NSC has a great habit of pulling all the emotional negativity out of people. One or two defeats and all hell can break loose. Alternatively, the club hasn't found the correct alterations to a great squad and once again the negativity streams through. It would be so refreshing for people to just trust in the club, to look forward and not look back at what has been and gone.

I'm quite happy to watch QPR make all the signings they like, it didn't help Blackburn last season did it? Nor did it help Leicester? Absolute certs to go up I recall from various posters.

Like I've said previously, too many people are too concerned about what others are doing or not doing, we don't have to spend for the sake of spending when we have more than capable youth in the ranks who just need a chance...

I can see where you are coming from. A couple of half decent signings and we could be back up and running, but take a couple of sips from the glass add a couple of key injuries and we could be a very ordinary team in this division. I really don't think it is moaning for the sake of it to sound a little pessimistic right now.

My expectation is that we will have a slow start to the season and do little in the first couple of months and then I expect us to pick up and I hope we will make a late charge for the play offs.

I agree it doesn't automatically follow that players coming down from the premiership perform well in the Championship. Some don't have the right mental approach, when they realise they are no longer a premiership player. I hope we don't have any in our squad who are Poyet loyalists, as players, fans and the board all need to give the new management team time, to bed in their ideas.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I actually think we have a stronger squad than last year, but less chance of getting a playoff spot.

I'd be happy with upper mid-table this season while Oscar settles in and builds his own team, with a push for promotion next season.
Not sure about that Bridge is a big big miss

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Probably going to have to agree to disagree on this one... Apologies for getting overly aggressive first of all.

It's hard to sit back and accept that the club is going backwards when all I perceive to be happening are giants steps forward... the club is so nearly at Premiership standard in terms of infrastructure and FFP, and I personally don't believe we are not ready to push on again this season despite a slow start.

Again apologies, reading that back it does make me look like a complete toby :drama:

No worries:kiss:. Agree with what you are saying and I think from an infrastructure perspective we are ahead of any other Championship club. Unfortunately having a nice stadium, training facilities being built and 30k fans doesn't get us three points against Wigan with 5k fans but £40m in the bank from TV money.

In addition I don't think the club can do much more than thay are doing on the pitch within our constraints. So this is not a moan!!

darters74

Jun 9, 2011
All over the place
Imagine being around Northumberland when the Vikings were marauding through, all horned helmets, burning huts, screaming Saxons and drinking blood out of skulls (this didn't happen).

That's what Grant Holt is going to do to the championship this year, but in GOALS.

I completely agree. And you can still get 14's on him to be top scorer in the Championship with William Hill. I will be having some of that before he scores again at the weekend.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Of course he did. He wanted to leave, so rather than send his stock absolutely sky high and getting a plum job by taking a team from the bottom of League 1 to the Premier League in 4 seasons, he thought he'd deliberately lose in the play-offs. Because that would help him. And of course, although the players dreamed of playing in the Premier League with all the riches that comes with it, they thought they'd not try either because their outgoing boss told them not to. The final criminal act of course was leaving Vicente out of the side when he openly said he wasn't fit and couldn't play.

Sometimes I actually wonder how a large proportion of football fans make it through the day. It's a wonder they don't forget to breathe or something.

That's all they could do 'dream' with that team formation its not like it was the first time Poyet got things wrong is it or are in the 'Poyet can do no wrong brigade'?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
That's all they could do 'dream' with that team formation its not like it was the first time Poyet got things wrong is it or are in the 'Poyet can do no wrong brigade'?

Wow, way to miss the point. Poyet may well have made a tactical mistake, but to say he deliberately sabotaged the home leg is ludicrous. That is wilful ignorance, it services a desire to write him off and discredit him because it suits an anti-poyet agenda. You don't have to be a 'poyet licker' to see that suggestion is complete bollards and anyone taking it seriously should seek help crossing the road.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Competing against teams with parachute payments is called "a challenge". My Poyet seemed up for it and did pretty well. For whatever reason, he did not appear to want to carry on with that challenge.

Our new man needs time to rise to this challenge and I have faith that he will do so. Our goal against Leeds was a thing of beauty and more of that can be expected once the new way of playing beds in. Which will not be overnight.

Patience. It will not be easy, but we will get there eventually.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here