Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Crawley may bid for city status

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
well I can open the door to my house and stroll straight into tilgate forest and walk for miles or have nice round of golf, a spot of fishing or even some water sports on the lake.

What you and your missus get up to is not for general consumption :wink:

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I may be being a little unfair. It's an ugly, grey, characterless place, but that said, its local council are quite progressive thinking, and it has very low unemployment and a fairly young population compared to much of Sussex, so is likely to expand further.

But I just can't see it as a city, try as I might :)

With one of the busiest airports on the planet nearby I should hope so too.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
As an aside, what is the big deal about getting "city" status anyway? Is it to do with greater devolved decision making / powers for local politicians / authorities? Or do you get greater funding or something?

I have to say, I still regard Brighton as a 'town' and don't hold much sway with this whole 'city' thing. I think 'town' suits Brighton far better and always will do.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Crawley is my home town, although I haven't been there since 1995 or so. As already mentioned elsewhere, Tilgate Park is really nice. And where I grew up around Pound Hill, Worth andd the surrounding area always seemed really nice at the time, especially the Tavern on The Green and the park by it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Surely it's got to be Guildford or possibly reading mmmmmmm

You know what, I always thought Guildford was a city, given its Anglican cathedral and the fact their football team is called Manchester Uni....er...Guildford City.

Googling it confirms that actually, it's not. That's a surprise to me.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
As I can't reliably get to London these days I mostly work from our Crawley office. Crawley is shit, end of. It needs downgrading to industrial wasteland imho, going into County Malk at lunch time is like running the gauntlet and its been particularly bad since there was a murder in the alley near our building...dire stuff..

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
coverage-map-crawley.jpg

If that is supposed to be a city, what about the Hassocks/Burgess Hill/Haywards Heath megatropolis.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
This thread has cheered me up whilst watching tonight's accumulator fail. Well done all!

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
As Worthing shares most if not all Council services with Adur District perhaps there could be a City of Adur & Worthing. Adur adds a population of 63,000.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Village status would be more fitting. Give Lancing a run for their money.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here