Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Single Malt Whiskey

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
You need a lesson in Irish Whiskey, there are many Irish malts,... and the blends and single pot stills are almost as good.... after years of chasing malts from North of Carlisle,.. I now collect and consume the best that Ireland has to offer..... smoother drink all round. Favourites are Midleton Rare, Teeling Malt and Redbreast 12yo... but there are many more. ... and Bushmills is amongst my least fave to be honest.

I know enough - and have the cupboard full of them to prove it. The other single malts are all a bit dearer than £35!

Only Bushmills and Cooley have single malts that are old enough to sell - Teeling comes from Cooley. Its definitely the least common style made here, with pot+grain blends being utterly predominant and single pot stills growing at a decent rate - Powers now have a NAS single spot still on sale even.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I know enough - and have the cupboard full of them to prove it. The other single malts are all a bit dearer than £35!

Only Bushmills and Cooley have single malts that are old enough to sell - Teeling comes from Cooley. Its definitely the least common style made here, with pot+grain blends being utterly predominant and single pot stills growing at a decent rate - Powers now have a NAS single spot still on sale even.

I have had a few Bushmills Blackbush in my time and was given a bottle or two of Midletons a few years back, whilst on a trip to Dublin, but that is about the extent of my knowledge.Haven't heard of Teeling, must seek it out.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I have had a few Bushmills Blackbush in my time and was given a bottle or two of Midletons a few years back, whilst on a trip to Dublin, but that is about the extent of my knowledge.Haven't heard of Teeling, must seek it out.

Its a new distillery founded by the son of the founder of Cooley Distillery - but as they've only been making product since last year everything they sell currently is contract from someone else. Roughly the normal malt and most other products are Cooley, the 30 year old malt is Bushmills but they've got a fair few so I can't be sure of them all.

Black Bush would be my favourite of the cheap products - extremely competitively priced.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015

Knappogue
Wild Geese
Tyrconnell
Clontarf
The Irishman
Jack Ryan Beggars
Connemara
Glendalouth

Powers is decent enough if I recall... and my just opened bottle of it, hasn't quite hit the spot yet....only had one snifter.

WoodyOwl

Mar 10, 2016
Worthing
Some good ones mentioned, some not so! Obviously down to personal preference and if they are a peaty/smoky fan or not. I'm not, one of my favorites not mentioned so far for your price range is the 'Old Pulteney' 12 YO - always have a bottle of this in the cupboard.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Given a bottle or two....???. £120 per bottle you are doing well.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Knappogue
Wild Geese
Tyrconnell
Clontarf
The Irishman
Jack Ryan Beggars
Connemara
Glendalouth

Powers is decent enough if I recall... and my just opened bottle of it, hasn't quite hit the spot yet....only had one snifter.

All of those are Cooley products, either Cooley brands or contract products - barrel type and age are the main difference although some are double distilled and some are triple distilled. A lot of the smaller brands are basically whatever the next 3 year old cask in the stack at the time the order is made is! Some older Knappogues were Bushmills though, I believe.

There are only four distilleries with product on sale - Midleton (nearly damn everything as goes the bigger brands), Bushmills, Cooley (all the small brands) and Kilbeggan (Kilbeggan and Lockes - owned by Cooley)

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Given a bottle or two....???. £120 per bottle you are doing well.

Good Lord.
Is all Midletons whiskey that dear? This was around 1991;perhaps I was given a cheaper version.
Was the guest of a distiller at the time;lucky old me.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
All of those are Cooley products, either Cooley brands or contract products - barrel type and age are the main difference although some are double distilled and some are triple distilled. A lot of the smaller brands are basically whatever the next 3 year old cask in the stack at the time the order is made is! Some older Knappogues were Bushmills though, I believe.

There are only four distilleries with product on sale - Midleton (nearly damn everything as goes the bigger brands), Bushmills, Cooley (all the small brands) and Kilbeggan (Kilbeggan and Lockes - owned by Cooley)
Yes,.. it's in the throws if expansion...this article I just read from January this year gives a great rosy picture for the Irish sprit industry.

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2016/01/top-10-new-irish-whiskey-distilleries/

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Good Lord.
Is all Midletons whiskey that dear? This was around 1991;perhaps I was given a cheaper version.
Any year of Midleton Rare hovers around £100.... I get one bottle a year, it lasts the year too as the very special occasion tipple.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Can't go wrong with Laphroaig.

A friend of mine bought a bottle and hated it.

Much too peaty for some.

I would recommend a 15 year old Glenfiddich

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
:
Some good ones mentioned, some not so! Obviously down to personal preference and if they are a peaty/smoky fan or not. I'm not, one of my favorites not mentioned so far for your price range is the 'Old Pulteney' 12 YO - always have a bottle of this in the cupboard.

So have I, along with a 15 year old Dalwhinnie and a bottle of the Singleton.:drool:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Good Lord.

It was cheaper then but it was still the premium range from the distillery at the time. £40 in those days money perhaps.

Yes,.. it's in the throws if expansion...this article I just read from January this year gives a great rosy picture for the Irish sprit industry.

http://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2016/01/top-10-new-irish-whiskey-distilleries/

I actually have a site (owned, inherited though) and local enterprise board support for an island distillery, but I don't have the cash myself or the confidence to borrow it with the number being built at the moment! If there's a crash it might be possible to get stills and the Revenue licence cheaper/easier from a failed startup, though.

Dolph Ins

May 26, 2014
Mid Sussex
I saw the title of this thread and thought I could be the first spelling pedant on but wrong by a million miles.

I can't stand whisk(e)y but if you need any help with over strength ciders like Diamond White I'm your man.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I saw the title of this thread and thought I could be the first spelling pedant on but wrong by a million miles.

I can't stand whisk(e)y but if you need any help with over strength ciders like Diamond White I'm your man.

Chatted up a young lady in the pub almost 29 years ago and invited her back to my house to try some of this new stuff 'Diamond White'.
Enough said; we have now been married over 28 years!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It was cheaper then but it was still the premium range from the distillery at the time. £40 in those days money perhaps.

I actually have a site (owned, inherited though) and local enterprise board support for an island distillery, but I don't have the cash myself or the confidence to borrow it with the number being built at the moment! If there's a crash it might be possible to get stills and the Revenue licence cheaper/easier from a failed startup, though.
Where are you based?

I have just entered a founders investment with the Lakes Distillery in Cumbria.... it's a 10 year plan... but the introductory bottles should be worth many thousands at auction if I don't open them....

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
if you like peaty whisky - west coast whisky.

Personally - I prefer the east coast (less peaty).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here