Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Favourites Pubs of 2014

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has the food improved, when I had my pub in Midhurst it was expensive and poor quality

Did Dave Whelan ever pop in and order a pint before regaling you with stories of his broken leg over some casual racism?

Anyway, great OP for mentioning The Stanley. Utterly fantastic pub made all the better for the fact that it's a (very) straight pub in the city of Brighton and Hove that is nevertheless 99% blokes 99% of the time. You won't pull in The Stanley unless you get invited to deliver the Old Fart Juice in to a glass. Shame they're selling it. It had better not change much.

Others? On the posh side fair play to the Good Companions for managing to stock decent beers and ciders across the range and serve pork scratchings in a mug, while keeping a clientele who look too young to afford any of the prices. I used to drink in this place when it was full of bikers and dealers, got to admire them for making it upmarket while actually increasing the amount of facial hair and tats on display.

At the other end of the scale I give an award to The George near Crossharbour DLR in Tower Hamlets for continuing to display a portrait of The Queen in the face of the nightly BARRAGE of nappy LUZZING from the local Bangladeshis. They love me in there as I'm the only drinker with my own teeth.

Last edited:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
1. Bon Accord - Glasgow - Not to be missed when you're in Glasgow

2. Queen Victoria - Rottingdean

3. Old Chain Pier - Leith

Queen vic has always been great. Jim f has to take a lot of the credit for turning that pub around.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
At the other end of the scale I give an award to The George near Crossharbour DLR in Tower Hamlets for continuing to display a portrait of The Queen in the face of the nightly BARRAGE of nappy LUZZING from the local Bangladeshis. They love me in there as I'm the only drinker with my own teeth.

The George still exists? I used to work by South Quay DLR 20 years ago and we occasionally went into the George for a laugh. It really was the worst pub on Earth - eg I asked the landlord (genuinely wanting to know) where he got his Christmas lights from and got an angry "**** off who wants to know" then he threw us all out on a quiet Tuesday at 7pm. The only way that place ever existed in the first place was as a pub for coppers' narks. Amazed it still exists, surrounded by penthouse flat developments as it must be now. Guess it must be even more of a coppers' narks pub than before...

Good to see such places still exist in one way. In another :(

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1) Craft Beer Co - Brighton
2) Craft Beer Co - Islington
3) Craft Beer Co - Brixton
4) Brewdog - Brighton

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
The George still exists? I used to work by South Quay DLR 20 years ago and we occasionally went into the George for a laugh. It really was the worst pub on Earth - eg I asked the landlord (genuinely wanting to know) where he got his Christmas lights from and got an angry "**** off who wants to know" then he threw us all out on a quiet Tuesday at 7pm. The only way that place ever existed in the first place was as a pub for coppers' narks. Amazed it still exists, surrounded by penthouse flat developments as it must be now. Guess it must be even more of a coppers' narks pub than before...

Good to see such places still exist in one way. In another :(

I used to live in Wapping. The Prospect and Captain Cook are two reasonable boozers in that area. I don't recall the George. Doesn't sound like I missed anything. There is another good pub heading towards Mile End from Whitechapel in a side street on the left hand side. The name escapes me :annoyed:

I recall a small pub next to the Texaco garage on Cable Street. Never looked particularly welcoming so didn't bother with it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
White Lion in Thakeham has improved significantly on the last 12 months to a point where I'd mention it on this thread. Very good beers, and very good food.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I like the Swan too. Friendly place. Much improved since the change of owners a few years back.
Thank god for that.
I had one of the worst pints ever in there (couldn't stay any longer)
All the Landlord did was harangue all his staff loudly and abusively for every petty infraction.

It was the most poisonous atmosphere EVER.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Especially on Pizza night (Thursday) with their wonderful outdoor pizza oven.

Plus they do I think 4 different ciders, including the whole Thatchers rainbow from Dry, through Rascal to Gold.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here