Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ebola outbreak watch

tricky

Jul 7, 2003
Reigate
The report quoted by Rivet seems classic science garbage to someone who works in veterinary epidemiology. This is just a study on the proof of principle that pigs could be infected and so they most probably used massive amounts of virus to cause the reaction, which would not be realistic in the field. The mention that infection can be caused without 'direct' contact is certainly not any indication of airborne infection - at very worst they are theorising that it could be transmitted by fomites - which is a very different risk to airborne.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Ebola is NOT airborne. You can only get it from contact with infected blood or bodily secretions. Hence why in this outbreak "only" 1000 people have it - if it were airborne, half of West Africa would have it by now. An infected person is unlikely to travel as they would be extremely ill.

I would hazard a guess that more people have died from Malaria or even Diarrhoea during this outbreak than have died from Ebola.

The problem with this, is that it CAN take up to 21 days for symptoms to appear.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
The report quoted by Rivet seems classic science garbage to someone who works in veterinary epidemiology. This is just a study on the proof of principle that pigs could be infected and so they most probably used massive amounts of virus to cause the reaction, which would not be realistic in the field. The mention that infection can be caused without 'direct' contact is certainly not any indication of airborne infection - at very worst they are theorising that it could be transmitted by fomites - which is a very different risk to airborne.

Your quite right Tricky it could and/or might be absolute garbage. Let's hope that it never transmutes into a full blown airborne virus. I'm no scientist or a panicky layman, I just like to debate and read as much about it much as I can! As I think we should all do if we are to pronounce something as actual fact.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Mr Hammond said no Britons had been affected so far and there were no cases in the UK, but the government was viewing the outbreak very seriously.

Earlier this month Public Health England issued an alert to UK doctors to be aware of Ebola's symptoms.

Several West African airlines have now stopped flying to Liberia and Sierra Leone amid concerns about the spread of the disease to those countries from Guinea.

The move by airlines comes after an infected American man of Liberian descent was found to have flown from Liberia to Nigeria last week. He developed symptoms during the flight."

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Liberia's government has announced that is is closing down all schools across the country to stop the spread of the deadly Ebola virus."

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"WHO sounds alarm over W Africa Ebola

World Health Organization to launch $100m plan to combat "unprecendented" outbreak of Ebola in West Africa"

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"The Ebola outbreak is spreading faster than efforts to control it, the head of the World Health Organization tells West African leaders."

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
As you can see, since 1976, this is the worst outbreak yet

_76659369_ebola_deaths_624_latest.gif

_76659370_ebola_deaths_624_latest.gif

"It is taking place in areas with fluid population movements over porous borders, and it has demonstrated its ability to spread via air travel, contrary to what has been seen in past outbreaks"

"Symptoms include high fever, bleeding and central nervous system damage
Fatality rate can reach 90%
Incubation period is two to 21 days
There is no vaccine or cure
Supportive care such as rehydrating patients who have diarrhoea and vomiting can help recovery
Fruit bats are considered to be virus' natural host"

Very worrying

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not really that worrying when you realise that transmission only occurs in the very poorest parts of the world where understanding of the importance of hygiene is incredibly low, it'd never stand a chance of spreading in this country, it needs direct contact of bodily fluids or mucous membranes, not that easy to achieve. I'd be more worried about bird flu personally.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Not really that worrying when you realise that transmission only occurs in the very poorest parts of the world where understanding of the importance of hygiene is incredibly low, it'd never stand a chance of spreading in this country, it needs direct contact of bodily fluids or mucous membranes, not that easy to achieve. I'd be more worried about bird flu personally.

Well, as I have quoted from a report in my above post, it seems as if the virus has mutilated, since the last recorded outbreak in 2012 into a air borne spreading virus as well. Thus making it even more spreadable

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Well, as I have quoted from a report in my above post, it seems as if the virus has mutilated, since the last recorded outbreak in 2012 into a air borne spreading virus as well. Thus making it even more spreadable
Firstly, the word is mutated, not mutilated. Secondly, your report says it "has the ability to spread via air travel", not "the virus is airborne". As in, people carrying it have got on planes without being diagnosed. Two VERY different things.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Firstly, the word is mutated, not mutilated. Secondly, your report says it "has the ability to spread via air travel", not "the virus is airborne". As in, people carrying it have got on planes without being diagnosed. Two VERY different things.

Thank you for pointing out the use of the wrong word, but, I would assume air travel means airborne, since in the past Ebola could only be passed on via bodily fluids, but now it doesn't have to be that, it can travel via the air

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Thank you for pointing out the use of the wrong word, but, I would assume air travel means airborne, since in the past Ebola could only be passed on via bodily fluids, but now it doesn't have to be that, it can travel via the air
I promise you, if Ebola were airborne, countries worldwide would be shutting down borders and declaring states of national emergency. The story is referring to the American aid worker who flew out of the country and then tested positive for it. Previously, outbreaks have been contained to particularly remote areas of Africa with poor sanitation and hygiene education. This time it's moving over borders which is why it's considered more serious. Still, the UK has nothing to fear on our own turf just yet.

larus

No. They are completely different. Airborne means it can be transmitted in the air, i.e by sneezing, coughing, etc. Air travel is in the, well, quite obvious really. I can't see the ebola virus booking via Easyjet in the near future.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I promise you, if Ebola were airborne, countries worldwide would be shutting down borders and declaring states of national emergency. The story is referring to the American aid worker who flew out of the country and then tested positive for it. Previously, outbreaks have been contained to particularly remote areas of Africa with poor sanitation and hygiene education. This time it's moving over borders which is why it's considered more serious. Still, the UK has nothing to fear on our own turf just yet.

We shall see then, I'll keep this thread updated

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Because of how it''s transmitted it's unlikely we would have a large outbreak in the UK. Even if a case was discovered, the procedures we'd then put in place to control the virus would make it very hard for it to spread.

And what controls would they be ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
No. They are completely different. Airborne means it can be transmitted in the air, i.e by sneezing, coughing, etc. Air travel is in the, well, quite obvious really. I can't see the ebola virus booking via Easyjet in the near future.

It seems to depend on who is saying what in as much as i have on radio symptoms can take anything thing from 7/10 days to develop should that be the case does that not raise other questions ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here