Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Football "banter" with plastic Prem fans

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I have a plastic prem fan, apparently I can't burn him, it's bad for the planet.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Some people being a bit precious here. Throughout the last 20 years of under achievement, how many of us had a 2nd favourite premier league club to 'support'

I know I did.

:lolol:

Your kidding yeah?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sure it is good fun when asked about getting tickets but on a more serious note, assuming we manage to stay in the PL for a number of seasons, what effect will this have on feeding the fan base. If tickets are all but impossible to come by how are youngsters 'coming of age' going to be able to see the Albion play?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Posted this a few years back when we drew Liverpool in the Cup, an actual conversation with our receptionist.

Her: could you get my son a ticket.
Me: No, afraid not
Her: Why not
Me: Because I can only get one and I’m going.
Her: Well that’s not fair:
Me: Why
Her: You go all the time
Me: Yes, that’s because I’m a season ticket holder
Her: Well they should share them out so everyone gets to go
Me: But I get first dibbs because I go all the time
Her: Well he should be allowed to go, he’s supported Liverpool all his life and has never seen them play.
:shrug:

I fully expect more of the same next season.

:facepalm: that is pretty dumb , even from a receptionist.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Working in London, I'm surrounded by Arsenal/Spurs\Chelsea and the odd Man U of course. They've all, seeing me disappear for games midweek, and hearing me talk about the club, been aware of what's been going on and are happy for me. I was even given a bottle of bubbly on the Tuesday after the Wigan game!

For my part, I don't mind the newbies or returners who buy season tickets. Their money is as good as anybody else's to the club. But there's one thing that they, and all the plastics, will never know. They'll never know what it means to have been there for the whole thing. What felt like an inexorable decline from about 1991, the mess of the 90s generally, seeing us lose the Goldstone and the club's soul, half time on the terrace at Hereford, putting up with Gillingham, fighting for the club's very existence. Then Withdean, then this. Everybody who was there for all of that had a feeling last Monday that the JCLs simply can't appreciate. I'm not saying we're better fans or anything, but part of me feels that those supporters have in all seriousness missed out on something that binds just a few thousand people in a feeling that can't be bought, can't be polished or sold by Sky, can't really adequately be explained. (I can't, anyway.) I almost feel a bit sorry for them, missing out on what that felt like.

I'm sure most of them won't give a damn, and will have enjoyed promotion hugely. Fair play - who wouldn't? But for a few thousand, it was just a bit more special than they'll ever realise, I think.
One of my favorite posts this year

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
:lolol:

Your kidding yeah?

I still go with some of the same guys that I did when I first started supporting the Albion in 1967/68. We all had a first division team that we liked and occasionally would go and see.
Never loved those teams like we did the Albion but it was quite commonplace.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I still go with some of the same guys that I did when I first started supporting the Albion in 1967/68. We all had a first division team that we liked and occasionally would go and see.
Never loved those teams like we did the Albion but it was quite commonplace.
Well there you go I didn't think that was a thing.........that said I also support two teams, Brighton (obviously) and anyone who is playing Crystal Palace.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Well there you go I didn't think that was a thing.........that said I also support two teams, Brighton (obviously) and anyone who is playing Crystal Palace.

Precisely, it's the old Scotland joke about England.

Supporting and favouring is very different. I'd love to see Liverpool win the league again but haven't bought any of their merchandise (since owning a Hitachi shirt in early 80s!) and couldn't tell you who they're playing each week or even bother to tune into watch them if they're on the TV (which they never are because football has been priced off terrestrial so god knows how these plastics 'follow' their teams). But I'd like to see them win the League again someday, obviously not now WE ARE THEIR RIVALS FOR THE PREMIER LEAGUE TITLE!!! :)

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Sure it is good fun when asked about getting tickets but on a more serious note, assuming we manage to stay in the PL for a number of seasons, what effect will this have on feeding the fan base. If tickets are all but impossible to come by how are youngsters 'coming of age' going to be able to see the Albion play?

Yep.

There are only two possible solutions: build a bigger stadium, and "dead mens' shoes". Can't see the former happening (though they may now take the opportunity of adding the "few extra" seats that PB says is possible), so it's dead mens' shoes...

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I'm pretty sure demand will never be higher than it is this summer. When we're struggling to hang on to 17th place there'll be one or two who don't renew season tickets and demand generally will drop off. That's what happened last time.

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The alternative view is a bit more positive. I've had many friends who support other clubs (mainly who live nearer to 'other' clubs) who have been delighted for us. But picking up new fans is always a good thing. I went to my first game at the Goldstone in the first season in Div 1 and have been totally (and infuriatingly) Albion obsessed ever since. New fans tend to start following a club at times of success. I suspect many, if not most, are then hooked and then become fans for life.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I'm a lifelong Spurs supporter , Brighton are my second team and will continue to support both in my own fashion .

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yep.

There are only two possible solutions: build a bigger stadium, and "dead mens' shoes". Can't see the former happening (though they may now take the opportunity of adding the "few extra" seats that PB says is possible), so it's dead mens' shoes...

There's another solution. The club could reserve some of its available tickets (either non-ST tickets or ones held by the club for its guests) for U-18s. It would even fewer available every game for non-ST adults but would keep a new generation interested

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
There's another solution. The club could reserve some of its available tickets (either non-ST tickets or ones held by the club for its guests) for U-18s. It would even fewer available every game for non-ST adults but would keep a new generation interested

Yes. That's an excellent solution.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here