Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Black footballers - help needed

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
I am helping with a research paper on the history, integration and impact of black footballers in British professional football.
There is plenty of statistical information, but looking for my primary source stuff... such as first hand accounts and memories.
The first black footballer I can remember as a kid was Albert Johanneson, who played for Don Revie's Leeds in the 1960s. Then a little later Cyril Regis at West Brom.
Any info or memories - certainly from the 50s, 60s and early 70s would be gratefully appreciated... cheers!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Got fond memories of West Ham's stocky striker Clyde Best from the early seventies when I first moved south of the border. Reckon you could do a lot worse than focus a big chunk of your research on his becoming a firm fans favourite at a club not exactly known for its liberal views at the time.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It would be rude to not mention Walter Tull.

This thread makes me wonder who was the Albion's first black player?, anyone know.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

This thread makes me wonder who was the Albion's first black player?, anyone know.

Chris Ramsey?

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Was teaching a pupil at my school about Tull just the other day.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Brendon Batson, Laurie Cunnigham, George Berry all good players.

Remember Ron Atkinson called then the "Three Degrees" when I think it was Batson, Regis and Cunningham at West Bromwich Albion

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Chris Ramsey?

Pretty sure it was Viv Busby - unless we had a black player going way back.

The first one I really remember was Ces Podd for Bradford City: he played for them for years and became a bit of a cult up there. He was about the same time as Clyde Best - for a time they were the only two regular black players in English football

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Got fond memories of West Ham's stocky striker Clyde Best from the early seventies when I first moved south of the border. Reckon you could do a lot worse than focus a big chunk of your research on his becoming a firm fans favourite at a club not exactly known for its liberal views at the time.

Another vote for Clyde Best, He was the first I remember. He had to even win his own teams fans over at West Ham which took some doing.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
:nono::nono:

Very disappointed in you, Stat. Didn't you bother reading [MENTION=12839]Goldstone Rapper[/MENTION]'s excellent blog posts?

[URL="http://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/01/14/dave-busby-albions-first-black-footballer/]Dave Busby - Albion's First Black Footballer[/URL]

Dave Busby - that was it. Don't know where I got Viv from

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Another vote for Clyde Best, He was the first I remember. He had to even win his own teams fans over at West Ham which took some doing.

Especially as Alf Garnett was banging on about 'c**ns' on the only wholly state-funded TV station of the time. While wearing a West Ham scarf. Jeez!

In fact scrub the book. Just write the Clyde Best Story. Before somebody else does...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Viv Busby is also a former footballer (although no connection to Albion).

So he is ... and white too :dunce:

Reminds me of the bloke who told my father, while watching Lancashire that he always mixed up David and Clive Lloyd. My dad said it was easy to tell them apart as Clive wore glasses

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Especially as Alf Garnett was banging on about 'c**ns' on the only wholly state-funded TV station of the time. While wearing a West Ham scarf. Jeez!

In fact scrub the book. Just write the Clyde Best Story. Before somebody else does...

Alf Garnett was not so bad as he was bigoted against almost everything, wherein lay the only real gag, Love Thy Neighbour was far worse.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pretty sure it was Viv Busby - unless we had a black player going way back.

The first one I really remember was Ces Podd for Bradford City: he played for them for years and became a bit of a cult up there. He was about the same time as Clyde Best - for a time they were the only two regular black players in English football

It seems that way. Having looked through the team photos from the beginning, it appears Dave Busby was the first in '74 for one season and our next black player was Chris Ramsey in 1981.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here