Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dulwich Hamlets FC, England's very own St Pauli.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Football: check
Left wing politics: check
Craft beer: check
Bratwurst and sauerkraut: check

What else do you actually need in life?

Read on......

Pink and blue scarves are south London’s new must-have accessory. They’re on morning trains and draped over chairs in pubs; children sport them on their scooters while their parents wear them to the supermarket. Even James Nesbitt has one.
Dulwich Hamlet FC, a non-league team, has seen an extraordinary surge in support over the last few years. A record crowd of 3,000 turned up to the final game of last season against Maidstone FC, and fan numbers continue to grow.
My own scarf lies bobbly and moth-eaten in a drawer at my parents’ house. One grey day in the late ’90s, my dad had taken my brother and me to join a handful of grimly loyal supporters, in the bleak stands of a stadium behind a supermarket, who shivered and clapped politely as the players jogged their way to a disappointing draw. The whole miserable experience put me off football for the next 15 years.
But now, around the same pitch at the end of last season, the old die-hards are surrounded by legions of new support. “We are professional! Semi-professional!” the fans roar with pride at the team’s position near the top of the regional Isthmian League.
“This is the best I’ve had as a Dulwich fan in 40 years,” says Mishi Morath, who has been coming to Dulwich Hamlet games since he was seven. “For many years here it was like normal football – it was rubbish. You went because it was a chore, because it was what you did.”
“Normal football” this isn’t. A new season of Dulwich Hamlet games kicked off this month and each match costs only £10 to attend, attracting a diverse crowd disillusioned with Premier League extortion and regulations. They crack open cans beside the pitch or buy pints of craft beer brewed in Peckham and eat bratwurst topped with sauerkraut from a pop-up stand – we are in gentrified East Dulwich, after all.
“Other clubs might say we’re all students, hipsters and a few four-letter words, but when you actually speak to them, the truth is they’re jealous,” says Morath.
Dulwich Hamlet’s unlikely new explosion of support, with attendance regularly in the thousands, is the envy of the non-league: Bath City FC recently sent down a representative to see what the fuss is about.
The new Dulwich Hamlet superfans, who call themselves The Rabble, are aware of their peculiarity – one of their slogans is: “Ordinary morality is for ordinary football clubs.”
“It’s actually a quote from Aleister Crowley, a well-known satanist,” explains supporter Jack Spearman. “There is a leftwing element to it, but only because if you’re not leftwing, you’re wrong.”
Last season the team played a ground-breaking friendly against Stonewall FC, an LGBT rights charity, and regularly organise community activism such as supporting a food bank and a campaign to pay cinema workers the living wage.

Mad keen: online fan art, stickers and posters

The Rabble’s forays into mainstream politics include insulting the other team’s goalie by calling him a Lib Dem and making anti-Ukip Dulwich Hamlet stickers inspired by their German sister team, Altona 93. “The German version has a fist through a swastika; ours has a fist through Nigel Farage’s face,” says Duncan Hart of the Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust.
Spearman is a member of the ComFast Chapter, a close-knit faction of fans who drink Buckfast, wear special scarves with red stars on them and describe themselves on Twitter as a “hard-left drinking society” and the “Nipple-rubbing Nouveau Niche”. Their allusions to communism and highbrow critical theory, which their neon-haired, pink camouflage-trousered leader Robert Molloy-Vaughan calls “somewhere between real and a piss-take”, have earned Dulwich Hamlet fans a reputation for being utopian bolsheviks.
But behind their rowdy, tongue-in-cheek activity – which ranges from YouTube videos splicing match footage with arthouse film clips to match posters encouraging people to get down to the game, as “Dulwich Hamlet will not be televised” – the new fans are adamant that the Hamlet buzz is more than just a political piss-up.
“There are a lot of apolitical people who come here because it’s affordable. The happy end is that they find out the football is great, it’s more open and creative, which you can see on the terrace,” says Molloy-Vaughan .
The democratic Supporters Trust is trying to integrate Dulwich Hamlet one step further into the community through fan ownership. The club is currently owned by Hadley Property Group. In the UK, only around 40 of thousands of football clubs are fully or partly fan-owned, as opposed to in Germany, where majority control by a single person or organisation is outlawed, and Argentina, where every club is owned by its fans.

The Maidstone match, watched by writer Katie Forster
and her dad
Annabel Kiernan, a senior lecturer at Manchester Metropolitan University, has spotted a pattern at non-league level across the country, not least at her own fan-owned team FC United, formed in reaction to the 2005 American takeover of Manchester United.
“It’s trying to recreate football before post-Hillsborough measures came in. Lots of those were positive, but it did marginalise what was previously the mainstream audience – men who wanted to stand by the pitch and drink in the stands,” she says.
The fans’ respect for the club’s past certainly dispels accusations of them as shallow, bandwagon-jumping hipsters. They talk about a revival of 80s terrace culture and even hark back to the club’s glory days of the 30s, chanting the name of star scorer Edgar Kail, who played for England between the wars, when the now-demolished old stadium overflowed with more than 30,000 people.
Now the pink-and-blue army are using social media to drum up interest in games far removed from Match of the Day. Supporters who couldn’t make an away fixture gathered in a pub around their phones instead of the TV. “When it came up on the tweets that Dulwich had scored, half the pub were cheering. They were all following it on social media and Twitter. The pub was in uproar,” says Morath.

True colours: fans get political before the Stonewall FC game
Hugo Greenhalgh and Ben Sibley produce a podcast called Forward the Hamlet and have been surprised by the number of dedicated fans who tune in.
“It’s about making people aware that this level isn’t just kicking hoof and knocking about in the mud,” says Sibley. “It’s decent football.”
Molloy-Vaughan agrees, saying that while he enjoys having a pint with the players after a game, he likes to pretend there is a separation, “because I like to hero worship them”.
Dulwich Hamlet consistently play at the top of their division, meaning that promotion into the upper echelons of the non-league, Conference South, is a realistic possibility. While Molloy-Vaughan thinks promotion would be “orgasmic,” Hart disagrees: “That would involve more money, more travel to away games, no more beer on the terrace [due to regulations]. It starts cutting out the reason you’re coming here.”
As for me, I’m wondering whether the same team that put me off football might be drawing me back in. Fifteen years after my first match, I’m starting to feel some of the rapturous communal energy I’d heard football fans talk about but never understood.
At half time, fans hang up homemade banners with in-jokes and leftwing slogans. “This is Tuscany,” proclaims one, a nod to the pointy trees around the pitch. “Transpontine,” says another, a mock-intellectual reference to south London. A third declares solidarity with anti-fascist supporters of Altona 93; two have been involved in a scuffle with right-wing thugs.
“Every game’s a carnival – it’s such a welcoming crowd,” says Morath. “There’s lots of women, kids. It’s party time.”

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have both [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION] and [MENTION=528]attila[/MENTION] on my bingo card :lolol:

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
They have the great 'We are the Swaggering Dandys' chant, when ever I've been up to Dulwich, I am sure they were known as the Actors Club, saw them last year at Enfield and the fans sing and dance all match.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
I've met Mishi the author several times. His dedication to the cause of all things Dulwich Hamlet is beyond 'normal'. What that article doesn't mention though is the cost of the food at Dulwich Hamlet. An eye watering £6 for a burger. Yes they are great quality but not at that price. Makes the Sodexo Sewage seem quite the bargain.

I went there last season when Worthing played them in the FA Cup and The Rebels pulled off a shock 3-0 win. It is a good 'real' football day out with great atmosphere, good cheap beer (shame about the catering prices of course) compared to the sterile all seater corporate atmospheres of modern day stadia.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
I went on non league day a couple of seasons ago when they got the club record attendance v Hampton and Richmond.

IMG_2186.JPG

IMG_2184.JPG

IMG_2185.JPG

Dandyman

In London village.
A pedant writes..."Dulwich Hamlet"

Milton Keynes Seagull

Sep 28, 2003
Milton Keynes
From Alternative Bollocks magazine:- Sebastian Fontleroy, an upper sixth former at Dulwich College is typical of the new breed of DH fans. He said most of the guys here at college are very left wing as you can imagine. My own study in School House has a large Che poster on the wall, while I routinely blast out Billy Bragg and The Clash to annoy my housemaster! He says that I'll eventually settle down and end up pursuing a career in the city like Nigel Farage (an old boy), but f*** me I'll be a f******* rebel forever. See I've used the F word twice in a sentence, how cool is that?"

Fontleroy can't attend Saturday games as Dulwich boys have school on Saturdays and this week he's in the second fifteen rugby match against Eton. But he attends as many games as possible and makes a point of standing as near as possible to the red and black banner of the new revolutionaries of minor football, usually with his girlfriend Georgina, whose mother has a boutique in Cheam where she works while waiting to go up to Oxford to read Law. Fontleroy's father, an old boy himself and a former member of the Militant Tendency in the 80s and who eventually settled down to become a successful executive with Goldman Sachs, says, "It's fine, I went through my period of rebellious behaviour myself and caused quite a rumpus in Esher where we lived at the time, I can tell you!"

Whether the new cutting edge of revolutionary football will prosper remains to be seen. Certainly Fontleroy and his comrades are looking forward to the next match against Leafy Surrey Reds FC and the post match bash at Penelope's Bistro in Dulwich High Street, where Charlie Gilmour, down from Cambridge and up from mummy and daddy's £2m pile in mid Sussex will be guest speaker. He remains a revolutionary poet despite his sentence for vandalising the Cenotaph while drugged out of his mind in 2011. "It should be a f****** awesome and cool day" gushed young Sebastian. "I can't f****** wait don't you know!"

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
I was once on the board at Dulwich Hamlet. Just for one season.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I lived in East Dulwich for a brief spell in my youth. It was a dump but I saw a few DH games both at the old Champions Hill ground and at the new Sainsbury's ground long before they were "discovered". It was always unrelentingly depressing so I guess their resurgence is no bad thing even if it appears to have been initiated by ****wits.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
The ultimate in football gentrification.

No coincidence the area has gone though the roof recently too.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have both @Buzzer and @attila on my bingo card :lolol:

One poster shares an extremely moving day yesterday with his dad's last ever Albion match, there's also the very sad news that an NSC poster was killed yesterday in the air show and other NSCers are struggling to contact loved ones and yet you choose to go on a wind-up fishing expedition on NSC, clearly designed to provoke an argument. Classy.

Please don't tag me in your threads.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
A football club for hipsters. :nono:

Sorry OP but that story filled me with scorn and gloom. And I'm a bit of a pinko myself.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Is This Where You Learn To Love Football Again?

Esquire - 28 April 2015 By Will Hersey What does a Chelsea season ticket holder make of a trip to Isthmian League Dulwich Hamlet?

dulwich-hamlets-43.jpg

I’d heard there was a football revolution happening. Behind a Sainsbury’s car park. In East Dulwich.
Friends of friends had mentioned it, local websites were dedicated to it and the national papers had got involved.
Talk was of a happy band of local fans, some disillusioned with the Premier League experience, some non-league stalwarts, some probably looking to get out of the house, who had put their support behind an Isthmian League team where the welcome was warm, the aggro is non-existent and you can drink beer while you watch. Like the footballing equivalent of Fight Club, without the black eyes.
The club had a righteous feel, too – an alien concept for someone who only watches the Premier League – with a recent friendly game against Stonewall FC making the news and reports that DH FC supporters' groups had a utopian political bent and had a big say in how the club was run.
As a Chelsea season-ticket holder, I hadn’t paid it much notice. What’s the point in watching non-league football when you’re watching the Champions elect every week? And, to be honest, the words “community” and “grassroots” had always carried a worthiness that sounded like the opposite of fun. With rumours of hipsters and craft beer involved, I mentally earmarked it as a trendy bandwagon.
Except, occasionally I started to question how much I was actually enjoying it. The atmosphere at Stamford Bridge could be poisonous, a cauldron of angry middle-aged men looking to vent their general disillusionment. Perhaps ‘friendly’ was an underrated concept after all. During one grim Champions League night in 2011, I’d been asked ‘outside’ by a man well into his fifties and who was apparently too angry to realise we were outside already.
The £1,000 a season cost, the 3 hour round-trip for every home game, and despite the club’s success, the football itself.
The chance to watch Eden Hazard every week was a genuine privilege but Mourinho’s tactics and the expectations to win at all costs did not exactly make for edge of the seat excitement every week. What was the purpose of it all?
With Chelsea edging closer to the title, Dulwich’s home tie against play-off rivals Enfield Town felt like an opportunity to see just how different – or similar – these two footballing worlds could be.
On arrival at the ground, the ticket queue, adjacent to a car wash, was much longer than the one to get into The Shed at Stamford Bridge. On the side of the stand stood the year this club was founded in 1893, 12 years before Chelsea. This stadium Champion Hill was built in 1991, their previous ground hosted matches at the 1948 Olympics.
The £10 entry instinctively felt steep but then what can you get for a tenner these days?
The Dulwich Ultras, bedecked in pink and blue, looked more like the queue at a village fete than a band of hardcore football fans. Beards mingled with baby harnesses. This is Dulwich after all.
With three minutes to go until kick-off, the casual air of general bonhomie provided an interesting contrast to the swagger, bravado and back-shoving that preceded entry into Stamford Bridge.
Where to get a beer? There’s a main stand on one side with actual seats and inside of which is a long bar with TV screens and windows overlooking the pitch. Far more impressive than the concrete corridor I’m used to.
Outside again to watch the game with beer in hand and the most striking difference is how loudly and frequently the players talk to each other, communication that gets drowned out amid the crowd in the Premier League.
After a promising first few minutes in which Dulwich string a few passes together, the combination of bobbly pitch, superquick pace and, possibly, Isthmian League technique, sees the game descend into a frantic affair, with hopeful balls into the channels the preferred tactic.
“We’ve been dire today,” one apparent regular tells us. “Dire.” At least that suggested things were usually better.
The real novelty was being able to move around the ground as you liked. One minute behind the goal, then stroll up to the halfway line for a different view. And back to the bar. Because when the football isn’t always compelling, you don’t mind missing a bit. This was more like the cricket. I could get used to this.
A small band of 50 odd away fans standd stoically behind the Enfield goal, swapping with the Dulwich Ultras at half-time, which seems a very civilised practice. Probably gets a bit more tense when Dulwich rivals Tooting and Leatherhead come to Champion Hill. Probably not.
At the urinals, that fail-safe sanctuary of awful banter with strangers, a voice from next door asks me, “you’re not Enfield are ya?” Except instead of threatening violence, I realised he was just interested to know.
Dulwich eased into a 2-0 lead, but the second half saw Enfield pushing hard with Dulwich defending deep and counter-attacking when they could. If the skill levels weren’t necessarily impressive, the fitness levels definitely were.
A spot right next to the dugouts brought an added sense of drama as Enfield pulled one back and had a man sent off. I bumped into the waiter from my local French restaurant, and a guy from the pub at the end of my road.
As the whistle blew and a healthy 1100 strong crowd finished their ciders and rounded up their children, the Dulwich players walked around the ground, applauding the home fans in much the same way as they do at The Bridge. Football rituals don’t change that much whatever level you’re at.
On the walk home I realised I had talked to as many people in one game as I had over the entire season at Chelsea. Maybe it was the beer, the sun and the proximity to my house. Or maybe there is a reminder here for just how relaxed and enjoyable watching football can be.
Two weeks later, a record crowd of 3,000 saw Dulwich draw 2-2 with league leaders Maidstone United to secure thir spot in the play-offs. Local site Brixton Buzz described scenes at the final whistle as "reminiscent of a top notch ecstasy rave of the 90s as both sets of fans took to the pitch and hugged and applauded each other". I was at Stamford Bridge watching Chelsea beat Manchester United 1-0. It should have been a season highlight but a little part of me wished I was back in the car park.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One poster shares an extremely moving day yesterday with his dad's last ever Albion match, there's also the very sad news that an NSC poster was killed yesterday in the air show and other NSCers are struggling to contact loved ones and yet you choose to go on a wind-up fishing expedition on NSC, clearly designed to provoke an argument. Classy.

Please don't tag me in your threads.

**** me. You really are one twisted little individual to try and pick a fight using the events of yesterday as capital. I think this post says way more about you, your agenda, and how your mind works than me. No one else has reacted the way you have.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here