Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] All in one printer recommendations

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was hoping you could just suggest one or two for me Trig that meet the needs in my opening post :thumbsup:
Well I've not tried any, so I'd just be picking ones off the list.

As I said, I'm struggling to see the wood for the trees, having looked at loads of the things.

I'm particularly keen to hear how ink costs work out on a cheap Hp or Epson.
All reportedly cheap printing costs:
Samsung Xpress M2825ND - £90, 80% score
HP Colour Laserjet Pro M252dw - £131, 79% score
Canon i-Sensys LBP6230DW - £120, 76% score - Print size is reduced when automatically printing double-sided - whatever that means
Samsung Xpress M2026w - £60, 75% score - no automatic double sided printing
Canon i-Sensys LBP6030W - £99, 75% score - no automatic double sided printing
HP Envy 5640 - £120, 73% score - Colour print quality could be better, touchscreen lags a bit

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Thanks. Current printer is Canon MG5450 and it has finally bit the dust. It was slower than the previous model Canon we had but has mostly been reliable. I'm happy to go with Canon again, but equally willing to give another brand a chance. This time we will go to something more basic.

I hadn't thought of 2nd hand as printers are so cheap new (just the ink costs that have to be considered). I'll have a look around 2nd hand too then.

Tbh nor had I and I only got it as saw a post in FB selling page and they had a voice recorder as well which my mum wanted so picked up both for about tenner each if remember right!! Use it so rarely hoping that it will give me a good few years!!

Cant really go wrong with HP if u do go for a different brand!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Loads recommended on Which, but a pain listing them all. If you note down a few you like, I can tell you their scores, pros and cons if you like.

What does it have to say about the CANON PIXMA MG5750?

Also now interested in the HP Officejet 6960, thanks to the recommendation on here.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Canon all in ones. Bought ours about 7 years ago, it never goes wrong, isn’t heavy on ink and is easy to use. We found it best to buy original cartridges - the ink seems to past longer and you don’t the tedious compability issues. Shop around each time between cartridgesave and viking, as prices change.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Well I've not tried any, so I'd just be picking ones off the list.

All reportedly cheap printing costs:
Samsung Xpress M2825ND - £90, 80% score
HP Colour Laserjet Pro M252dw - £131, 79% score
Canon i-Sensys LBP6230DW - £120, 76% score - Print size is reduced when automatically printing double-sided - whatever that means
Samsung Xpress M2026w - £60, 75% score - no automatic double sided printing
Canon i-Sensys LBP6030W - £99, 75% score - no automatic double sided printing
HP Envy 5640 - £120, 73% score - Colour print quality could be better, touchscreen lags a bit

Thanks, I'll have a look at the first Samsung on that list. Hadn't given a thought to Samsung printers to be honest.

Edit: Turns out to be a mono laser printer. Perhaps I should have stated colour and inkjet. Cheers anyway.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Canon all in ones. Bought ours about 7 years ago, it never goes wrong, isn’t heavy on ink and is easy to use. We found it best to buy original cartridges - the ink seems to past longer and you don’t the tedious compability issues. Shop around each time between cartridgesave and viking, as prices change.

I've always had Canon too. I started using original cartridges, but as the kids homework increased and our printer use in genral, it just became unaffordable. I've never had issues with compatibles on them to honest, apart from them not lasting that long, so would happily consider a Canon again.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I recently got a HP Officejet 6960 and it does all you ask. Think it was £69.99. I signed up to the HP print replacement scheme where you pay x amount per month and they send you ink as & when you need it. The first 3 months was free and they sent me new cartridges after about 2 weeks. I now pay £1.99 per month, they do monitor how much you use it so it would go up if I starting printing loads but the level I’m at seems fine.

I'm particularly liking this:

System requirements - Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- OS X v10.9 Mavericks, v10.10 Yosemite, v10.11 El Captitan
- Linux

It's not often you see Linux listed as an option, perhaps because Linux just works with anything anyway?

The only negative I can see is the lack of individual colour cartridges, but if the monthly ink costs can stay as low as you say, for the most part, then I can live with that.

I think it could be a toss up between this and the Canon Pixma MG5750. Thanks.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What does it have to say about the CANON PIXMA MG5750?
Great graphics - £67 - score 57%
Pros - Great colour graphics prints, ability to print from a range of devices wirelessly, automatic double-sided printing
Cons - Print speeds could be a little faster, high printing costs

Also now interested in the HP Officejet 6960, thanks to the recommendation on here.
A good backup option - £90, 65% score
Pros - Automatic double-sided printing, document feeder, wi-fi, ethernet, AirPrint
Cons - Not efficient with ink, mono copies could be better, a little noisy

Thanks, I'll have a look at the first Samsung on that list. Hadn't given a thought to Samsung printers to be honest.

Edit: Turns out to be a mono laser printer. Perhaps I should have stated colour and inkjet. Cheers anyway.
Ah, lack of colour didn't appear in the overall table. Just check the others.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
I had an Epson which bit the dust after 2 yrs very light use - do not touch

I am very happy with my hp. I like the pay monthly option for a set number of pages printed & they post you new cartridges before the ink runs out = it's always working & you don't have to fork out large sums for cartridges or care about printing colour pictures. I think it's good value

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Great graphics - £67 - score 57%
Pros - Great colour graphics prints, ability to print from a range of devices wirelessly, automatic double-sided printing
Cons - Print speeds could be a little faster, high printing costs

A good backup option - £90, 65% score
Pros - Automatic double-sided printing, document feeder, wi-fi, ethernet, AirPrint
Cons - Not efficient with ink, mono copies could be better, a little noisy

Ah, lack of colour didn't appear in the overall table. Just check the others.

Thanks for that, very useful.

I think the claimed high printing costs on the Canon will be the Canon cartridges, because they are bloody expensive! It appears I can now buy compatibles for this model for not much more than I was paying for our old Canon.

I am very happy with my hp. I like the pay monthly option for a set number of pages printed & they post you new cartridges before the ink runs out = it's always working & you don't have to fork out large sums for cartridges or care about printing colour pictures. I think it's good value

Thanks. This Hp ink monthly option is something I need to explore in more detail I think. It does sound pretty good.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean

Been using Epson all in one for best part of 15 years, never had a problem. Cheap printers, cheap ink and never had a compatibility issue like I had with a canon pixma.
It's all a matter of personal preference

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I've been more than happy with my Brother DCP-J152W.
I buy replacement cartridges on line from Phoenix (of Chorley) where a set of 4 is about the same price as a single Brother cartridge.
Never had to wait more than 48 hours for delivery and often next day.
In about 10 years I have only had one dud.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
I'm particularly liking this:

System requirements - Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
- OS X v10.9 Mavericks, v10.10 Yosemite, v10.11 El Captitan
- Linux

It's not often you see Linux listed as an option, perhaps because Linux just works with anything anyway?

The only negative I can see is the lack of individual colour cartridges, but if the monthly ink costs can stay as low as you say, for the most part, then I can live with that.

I think it could be a toss up between this and the Canon Pixma MG5750. Thanks.

Mine has 4 cartridges. A black, cyan, magenta & yellow

NEASTGULL

Sep 30, 2006
Gateshead
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]

I got the HP Office Jet 3835 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer just after Christmas, and so far, I am happy with the printer. I found it extremely easy to set up. The printer is currently £34.99 at Argos, or £44.99 at Amazon.

The printer also features a copier, scanner and a fax (although I am not making use of the fax).

I received an offer of a 5 month free Instant Ink trial. I use the printer for work purposes and have printed just under 150 pages so far, and I am still using the start up ink provided with the printer, although I have already received the first set of replacement inks from HP.

Current HP Instant Ink Charges.

£0.00 [FREE] for up to 15 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to10 pages)
£1.99 for up to 50 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to 15 pages)
£3.49 for up to 100 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to 20 pages)
£7.99 for up to 300 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to 25 pages)

NB - HP take your monthly payment even if you do not print any pages in a billing period.

For paid for plans (i.e. not including the free option detailed above) any pages not used may be rolled over and added to the following months available pages).

Some printers come with a period of free use. If this applies to your printer I would suggest opting for the £7.99 plan, as you can change the plan at any time, so this should avoid any over use charges, during the free period.

If you would like me to, I will PM a code which offers a free month, should you wish to use it (we would both receive a free month).

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
[MENTION=10856]1066familyman[/MENTION]

I got the HP Office Jet 3835 All-in-One Wi-Fi Printer just after Christmas, and so far, I am happy with the printer. I found it extremely easy to set up. The printer is currently £34.99 at Argos, or £44.99 at Amazon.

The printer also features a copier, scanner and a fax (although I am not making use of the fax).

I received an offer of a 5 month free Instant Ink trial. I use the printer for work purposes and have printed just under 150 pages so far, and I am still using the start up ink provided with the printer, although I have already received the first set of replacement inks from HP.

Current HP Instant Ink Charges.

£0.00 [FREE] for up to 15 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to10 pages)
£1.99 for up to 50 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to 15 pages)
£3.49 for up to 100 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to 20 pages)
£7.99 for up to 300 pages per month (plus £1.00 for each additional set of up to 25 pages)

NB - HP take your monthly payment even if you do not print any pages in a billing period.

For paid for plans (i.e. not including the free option detailed above) any pages not used may be rolled over and added to the following months available pages).

Some printers come with a period of free use. If this applies to your printer I would suggest opting for the £7.99 plan, as you can change the plan at any time, so this should avoid any over use charges, during the free period.

If you would like me to, I will PM a code which offers a free month, should you wish to use it (we would both receive a free month).

Thanks for the detailed response, excellent info in there.

Having seen the price bands and page numbers in the hp instant ink plans, I don't think it's for us. We don't print photos really, and then go from barely printing to some times printing loads of mainly black and white. I'd struggle to keep a handle on prices, so I'll just end up sticking with Canon and compatible inks I think.

Thanks all for the responses.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here