Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Gulls Eye Dinner 1990

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Was at Worthing FC in late May, Chris Cattlin, Tony Millard and Keith Cuss were the guest speakers.

Drink flowed, we ended up in Bensons nightclub, Millard got to the final of the dance off.

It was one of the few nights of my life I cant remember getting home, and I woke up next day, my flat littered with vomit.

The other week I was up at the Crematorium on a football related funeral when a then member of the Woodside Road staff admitted to doctoring certain starters, including mine, should we have expected anything less as Worthing FC was still a hotbed of Barry Lloyd support?

So all these years later, it might not have been the drink after all, and if any of the 130 or so guests that night were also ill, now we know why.

Happy days. (And my Mum bless her heart came round and cleared all the puke up)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Was at Worthing FC in late May, Chris Cattlin, Tony Millard and Keith Cuss were the guest speakers.

Drink flowed, we ended up in Bensons nightclub, Millard got to the final of the dance off.

It was one of the few nights of my life I cant remember getting home, and I woke up next day, my flat littered with vomit.

The other week I was up at the Crematorium on a football related funeral when a then member of the Woodside Road staff admitted to doctoring certain starters, including mine, should we have expected anything less as Worthing FC was still a hotbed of Barry Lloyd support?

So all these years later, it might not have been the drink after all, and if any of the 130 or so guests that night were also ill, now we know why.

Happy days. (And my Mum bless her heart came round and cleared all the puke up)

You won't know me but a lad I went to games with around then lived in Worthing and was a regular in Chapmans and Bensons. One night we were in there and your stag was going on in the next door bar and at some point we either gate crashed or got dragged in around the time the first comedian was on. It is still one of the finest examples of such an event I can remember and I say remember in the loosest possible terms.

On the way home I "decorated" the train, Lancing Station, Portslade Station and my bedroom. Nobody helped me clean up.

Can I now blame the prawn vol au vonts? :whistle:

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
Wasn't at that one, had moved to Manchester so couldn't get down. But did attend two epic dinners at the Courtlands in Hove. One had the auction - perhaps they both did??? Remember talking to Gerry Ryan, late on, conversation was the Man City game when he ran through from the half way line to score. He asked who played the assist, and through the blur of beer and time, it was suddenly 1980 all over, and out popped the answer, Ray Clarke - to this day that is a power of memory that has nerver returned!
What was the name of the guy who ran the bar, Guiseppe? Dear oh dear, I may have been a little unkinfd to him!
Great memories, time for a reunion dinner Lenny?

Feb 14, 2010
Ipswich away in Elvis costumes. Dont tell seagullsovergrimsby tho as we all only supported the Albion after the amex apparently. News to my family who were in the 30,000 crowds of the 60's and 70s

Feb 14, 2010
Wasn't at that one, had moved to Manchester so couldn't get down. But did attend two epic dinners at the Courtlands in Hove. One had the auction - perhaps they both did??? Remember talking to Gerry Ryan, late on, conversation was the Man City game when he ran through from the half way line to score. He asked who played the assist, and through the blur of beer and time, it was suddenly 1980 all over, and out popped the answer, Ray Clarke - to this day that is a power of memory that has nerver returned!
What was the name of the guy who ran the bar, Guiseppe? Dear oh dear, I may have been a little unkinfd to him!

never go back but "son of the eye" would be great at the amex.. and if so then do a feature on "great away day back in the day.."

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
You won't know me but a lad I went to games with around then lived in Worthing and was a regular in Chapmans and Bensons. One night we were in there and your stag was going on in the next door bar and at some point we either gate crashed or got dragged in around the time the first comedian was on. It is still one of the finest examples of such an event I can remember and I say remember in the loosest possible terms.

On the way home I "decorated" the train, Lancing Station, Portslade Station and my bedroom. Nobody helped me clean up.

Can I now blame the prawn vol au vonts? :whistle:

That was July 1990, and the stripper was called Kookie, a lovely mixed race girl who ended up as a regular on the James Whale Show.

Lap dancing killed the stag show sadly:(

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Guiseppe Messina, top bloke, retired back to Sicily I believe, back in the day all the new signings lived at the Hotel, as did Cloughie for his entire stint as manager.

The Hotel was originally owned by the Cutress family before being sold to a well known local businessman, it was once commented that if he'd been an Albion fan at the times of the troubles, Archer and Bellotti might have been shot.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Guiseppe Messina, top bloke, retired back to Sicily I believe, back in the day all the new signings lived at the Hotel, as did Cloughie for his entire stint as manager.

The Hotel was originally owned by the Cutress family before being sold to a well known local businessman, it was once commented that if he'd been an Albion fan at the times of the troubles, Archer and Bellotti might have been shot.
My mum worked there for years and as the away teams all stayed there I have sheet after sheet old menues with players autographs on the back from during the cutress era to early NVH ownership.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Was Kevin Bremner's wife really called Brenda or is that an urban myth?

Urban myth, she was called Julie.

Years later when we were at Gillingham had a good chat with Kev, parted with a handshake, he knew it was all part of football fan culture.

One of the most surreal moments was when my son was a little baby and I'd just got him off to sleep, the phone rang, on the other end of a line was a former nemesis of the Eye. He announced who he was and told me that Jesus Christ had come into his life and had instructed him to contact everyone he had ever crossed/wronged and ask for forgiveness. I did ask him if Jesus had indicated if any of the money we paid as a result of the court case in 1990 would re appear by way of some biblical miracle.

As yet it hasn't but if it ever did, as it was the supporters who rallied round with donations, including Stuart Hall and Robert Maxwell, any money coming back would go to charity.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here