Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

We're On Our Way...

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The issue is you will without doubt get some bellend who hammers the thing from start to finish.

Someone who wants to start songs rather than help them.

Oh, do not get me wrong, I totally agree. Aimlessly banging a drum sounds awful. It should only be used to keep rhythm once a chant begins.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Still think a quality trumpeter similar to Billy from the BarmyArmy would be a better and more tuneful option.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Didn't somebody rock up with a drum last season after being told by the club it was ok , then told it's not ok when they tried to enter the stadium with it because Roger in row Z of the east upper feared it may ruin his matchday experience of sitting in complete silence for 90 minutes , fuxake if it's alright for Rod bloody Stewart then it should be alright for a fan , just let them get on with it if they want to .

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If we go down the drum route it needs to be central north stand not tucked under the police box, it needs to be used to unite both sides of the stand.

This 100%. Standing in the middle of the North on Saturday, I kept thinking how pathetic our atmosphere sounded, not necessarily due to lack of noise, but lack of co-ordination. At one point I heard the Stockdale song being sung out of sync by FOUR different areas of the stand, all at the same time. It sounded awful. I don't understand what is so difficult for people to just listen for a second, and then join in with whichever song / timing is the loudest. I've never seen any other club's fans have this problem like we do.

Unfortunately, a drum is the only solution, because people aren't going to change now. It is so important to get the right person to do it though, or it will completely ruin what atmosphere there is. All these fans who say "I'd cancel my season ticket if we got a drum" are obviously lying, but it would be a disaster if it was in the hands of the wrong people, e.g. the police box brigade. If anything it needs to be done away from the groups that are starting the songs, so the drummer can pick which one to go for and therefore silence the other song, which would hopefully put an end to the ridiculous rival song groups situation we have at the moment.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Still think a quality trumpeter similar to Billy from the BarmyArmy would be a better and more tuneful option.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

To be honest, it did sound silly on Saturday. Sitting in the lower west, there seemed to be several areas of the north stand singing, but none of it was in sync. It really does need someone to co-ordinate it all. Even with only 300 Burton fans there I could hear their rendition of Albion! Albion!, above our own singing, despite being outnumbered about ten to one!

But as others have said, it does need to be co-ordinated properly, and carefully. That drummer at Portsmouth for instance, gets on my nerves.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
This 100%. Standing in the middle of the North on Saturday, I kept thinking how pathetic our atmosphere sounded, not necessarily due to lack of noise, but lack of co-ordination. At one point I heard the Stockdale song being sung out of sync by FOUR different areas of the stand, all at the same time. It sounded awful. I don't understand what is so difficult for people to just listen for a second, and then join in with whichever song / timing is the loudest. I've never seen any other club's fans have this problem like we do.

Unfortunately, a drum is the only solution, because people aren't going to change now. It is so important to get the right person to do it though, or it will completely ruin what atmosphere there is. All these fans who say "I'd cancel my season ticket if we got a drum" are obviously lying, but it would be a disaster if it was in the hands of the wrong people, e.g. the police box brigade. If anything it needs to be done away from the groups that are starting the songs, so the drummer can pick which one to go for and therefore silence the other song, which would hopefully put an end to the ridiculous rival song groups situation we have at the moment.
A decent drummer in the middle of the North Stand IS the answer to the NS coordination problem. I'm no expert on acoustics but would the rest of the ground also more easily get in tune with each other assuming the drum could be heard from WSU, SWC, etc...?

Very easy for the drummer (if it is the right person) to lead the right repertoire of the currently favourite songs - always a mix of the old school classics and a few more recent additions. To select the drummer they should hold an audition with a small panel of experts from NSC getting votes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Completely agree - although not sure the police box brigade are so much the leaders as they were last season as some moved Eastwards (now under the big screen) before this season started - it's probably made things worse as it's increased the 'competition' within the NS. Think the West (at least) would be a lot more vocal if there was a single chant to join too.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage

Spot on, and a little pointer to prove a drum would work is the chap at the front behind the goal who bangs on the sign behind him after a goal.....everyone claps in time and finishes with a "Brighton" in unison.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Call me old fashioned, I think you should just sing what you like, I certainly don't seek the blessing of NSC

You're not old fashioned, it's just that there's a few precious souls on NSC who moan about any song they associate with another club.

I wonder how many of these sensitive types have tried to improve the Amex atmosphere by getting a song going that they've created?

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
Completely agree - although not sure the police box brigade are so much the leaders as they were last season as some moved Eastwards (now under the big screen) before this season started - it's probably made things worse as it's increased the 'competition' within the NS. Think the West (at least) would be a lot more vocal if there was a single chant to join too.
That would explain the arguments under the screen on Saturday then !

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That would explain the arguments under the screen on Saturday then !

Yeah what was going on there? I saw some really angry guy who appeared to be shouting at everyone and telling them all what he was going to do to them (which was obviously nothing).

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
.....indeed. Also meant that the whole North Stand were singing the same song, rather than a different one coming from each side. Got to be worth a 1 or 2 game experiment with some sort of large percussion instrument, as long as it's the hands of someone who a) knows what they're doing and b) doesn't use it all the time............??

Agree. I have posted this myself on another thread. IF it happens, and i'm not sure either way, but IF it does then please use it wisely. In the hands of a bell end it would do more harm than good.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Quote Originally Posted by wehatepalace View Post
If we go down the drum route it needs to be central north stand not tucked under the police box, it needs to be used to unite both sides of the stand.

See the sense in this. Try it out. FFS get the right person/tempo/balance. I really like the random factor that exists in the NS chants. Burton game was a bit flat though and the only time the NS were heard down near the south was when the NS and WS did the 'we are the NS/WS' thing, and the long AAALBION! AAAALBION! which is cracker when it gets going around the stands. Happy to see a trial with a drummer to tidy up/unify a few of the randoms. Would love to hear some of the player ones better/louder.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If they go down, we could have the Palace drum, cos they won't have enough fans left to make it worthwhile.

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
That would sound awesome. A shame, that even when the north stand are in fine voice, that there still seem to be two seperate areas singing, and not always in time with one another.

Or at least that's the way it sounds to me in the lower west.

this is why the club need to shake up the north stand, unite the singing sections and bring in a drum for controlling tempo.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
See the sense in this. Try it out. FFS get the right person/tempo/balance. I really like the random factor that exists in the NS chants. Burton game was a bit flat though and the only time the NS were heard down near the south was when the NS and WS did the 'we are the NS/WS' thing, and the long AAALBION! AAAALBION! which is cracker when it gets going around the stands. Happy to see a trial with a drummer to tidy up/unify a few of the randoms. Would love to hear some of the player ones better/louder.

Not true, you could hear the North stand singing all game in the South stand

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here