Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] There's a side worse at converting corners than us...

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
As posted in another thread Isq’s goal against West Ham was our first goal from a corner since 17 December 2016.

That’s right. We didn’t score a (league) goal from a corner for the whole of 2017.

Which basically proves people are getting too hung up on the scoring from corner stats. Even the best teams in that table have such a small percentage of their overall goals it really should be less of a worthy - conceding from corners, now that's another matter.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I personally wouldn't call that scoring from a corner but it's arguable. Where is the cut off in time and/or distance out of the area?

Well, I'm pretty sure they're counting it as one, because we wouldn't be credited with one otherwise.
But if we follow your logic, then actually our defending from corners isn't as bad as many claim, as there have been some goals conceded that haven't resulted directly from a corner. Huddersfield's second for one, but I suspect there are others too.
Izquierdo's goal was our first scored from a corner since 2016, Murray vs Birmingham. Let's hope the next one transpires to be as important.

ropey9

Feb 25, 2009
That is a disgraceful statistic....when you know points and goals are going to be at a premium the very least you should be doing is optimising your efficiency at set pieces. What the **** do they practice on that £15m training ground?

Interesting point, I think the defending from corners is linked to the inability to score from corners. The defending from corners and set pieces cannot be practiced in training due to the inability of our attackers to score from them.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
On a different note we haven't conceded from a corner for a while (famous last words) has anyone spotted a change in our defending of corners or have we been very lucky recently or were we very unlucky earlier in the season?

I think it changed when we started watching the ball and not the players a month or so ago, Which also co-incided with Schelletto rather than Bruno, who loves grappling with his man rather than heading the ball. Whether the two are connected, or it was a managerial change, I don't know. But we've certainly looked more comfortable at corners and seemed to have cleared them away quicker than we were.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Have Stoke got the tallest players in the league then ?

Well, Crouch is about 25 feet tall, so tbh they're bound to have the best stats for goals from corners.

I'd like to see a breakdown of how long after a corner a goal was scored. I think we all know that corners do not yield very many goals at all, the best conversion rate being 6.5%. However, they add quite a lot of pressure and often spawn further attempts on goal aside from the initial delivery. Those stats might be quite specific in what they have categorised as a goal from a corner.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Well well well, and they say that stats don't lie. I always thought Sean Dyche's boys were the kings of converting chances from set pieces.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Had you asked me who was the biggest threat at corners I'd have probably have had Burnley in my top three. I guess I'm still scarred from those last few minutes in 2016 when they looked like scoring every time they had one.

Do you have the same data for conceding? I'd like to see us top of something.

But we (Burnley) had Michael Keane who was a genuine threat whenever we had a corner.

His replacement (Tarkowski) is hopeless from corners - tries too much for power rather than accuracy and usually balloons good chances too high. He has missed at least three good, point-blank goal chances from corners this season. His CH partner (Ben Mee) tries to be too accurate but has been a bit unlucky this season, being denied by a good save or a goal-line clearance (eg twice at Liverpool) plus another couple of near misses.

Considering we are 7th (just about!), it is quite bit embarrassing that we have not scored from a corner in 27 matches. Also, along with Swansea, we are the only PL team not to be awarded a penalty this season! West Ham at home and Huddersfield away, we were denied stonewall penalties in two drawn matches.

It makes me wonder how many points more (now 36) we might have with just 5 extra goals (3 from corners and 2 from penalties). Maybe just a couple of points behind 6th-placed Arsenal.:)

Dyche - a stats freak - must be concerned why West Ham have scored 7 from 112 corners and Burnley, who struggle to score from open play, have a big fat zero from the same number of corners. Stoke - with three corners less - have also scored 7.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Had you asked me who was the biggest threat at corners I'd have probably have had Burnley in my top three. I guess I'm still scarred from those last few minutes in 2016 when they looked like scoring every time they had one.

Do you have the same data for conceding? I'd like to see us top of something.

They've updated it now...

https://whisp.rs/2sQLdzv

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 13.49.52.png

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Well well well, and they say that stats don't lie. I always thought Sean Dyche's boys were the kings of converting chances from set pieces.

With no chance of a penalty or a goal from a corner, we have to rely on world-class free-kicks for set-piece goals...eg Steven Defour's free-kick to put us 2-0 up at Old Trafford on Boxing Day after Ashley Barnes had put us ahead from a Gudmonsson free-kick. Let in a stoppage-time equaliser...damn.

Last season, West Brom got an amazing amount of goals from corners - well into double figures with Craig Dawson leading the way with about half a dozen, helped by Gareth MacAuley and Johnny Evans.

Dyche commented on WBA's success and wanted Burnley to follow the Baggies' example from set-pieces but his coaching seems to have had no success whatsoever.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
As posted in another thread Isq’s goal against West Ham was our first goal from a corner since 17 December 2016.

That’s right. We didn’t score a (league) goal from a corner for the whole of 2017.

Murray a scored a goal from a corner at Birmingham?

Whoops that was 2016!

The 33-year-old forward met Knockaert's pinpoint corner to head beyond Tomasz Kuszczak for his 14th goal of the season and help the second-placed Seagulls open an eight-point gap on Reading in third.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Where are stats for conceding goals from your own corners e.g. v Man City.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Which basically proves people are getting too hung up on the scoring from corner stats. Even the best teams in that table have such a small percentage of their overall goals it really should be less of a worthy - conceding from corners, now that's another matter.

and they'd have even fewer if they didn't count the goals from corners they've all scored against us ;)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Murray a scored a goal from a corner at Birmingham?

Whoops that was 2016!

The 33-year-old forward met Knockaert's pinpoint corner to head beyond Tomasz Kuszczak for his 14th goal of the season and help the second-placed Seagulls open an eight-point gap on Reading in third.

And Shane Duffy had nodded in from a corner at Blackburn the week before.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
We also scored from a free kick against West Ham away, so their stats are wrong.

Apologies. I misconstrued the number. We’ve scored 3 set piece goals according to their data. So there’s another in there’s somewhere. Murray, Izquierdo and Hemed all have one from a set piece (not including penalties).

In fact, the corner goal is the WHU one recently at their place.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here