Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Cycling geeks

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Feck me! Gavaria just lost a monument win as a neo pro! :eek: I was quite surprised to see him there, but then again I suppose the race wasn't hard enough to rule him out.

Fair play Demare, in the form of his life! Looks like Bouhanni had a bit of bike trouble or else that sprint was probably his to lose.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
What on earth happened to the quickstep rider?!

Gaviria. Got all excited, looked behind him to get his bearings and quite literally lost the race with a touch of wheels. No one was beating him in the sprint if he makes it to the line.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Gaviria. Got all excited, looked behind him to get his bearings and quite literally lost the race with a touch of wheels. No one was beating him in the sprint if he makes it to the line.

Oh, hadn't heard of him before (haven't followed for a while) bit of a 'rookie' mistake then!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I must have blinked at missed it!!

I'll get bugger all fantasy point for it too, but I have the satisfaction of picking the man first to go on the Poggio :thumbsup:

And 1 nil to the Albion! Hemed pen :clap:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Oh, hadn't heard of him before (haven't followed for a while) bit of a 'rookie' mistake then!

I wouldn't worry, you won't be the first one who hasn't heard of him. Guarantee you and everyone else will have heard of him by the end of this season though.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FFS why does Boohoo think he should win every race?

Shirley he needs to win before he gets disappointed about losing.

He had a bike problem I think, gears or chain drop no doubt. Imagine how gutted you'd be to get to the end of nearly 300km and lose a race like that! Add in the fact that his arch rival then goes and wins the thing, he must be absolutely gutted.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He had a bike problem I think, gears or chain drop no doubt. Imagine how gutted you'd be to get to the end of nearly 300km and lose a race like that! Add in the fact that his arch rival then goes and wins the thing, he must be absolutely gutted.
I wonder what his ratio is of arms up v bar slaps?

He just doesn't win enough to be disappointed about losing.
It seems like there's always a reason for him to be denied a win.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just one wanker on there was enough for me, coupled with the social media slavery scenario it engenders. Glad I took IL's tip and made all my rides private as default.

Must have warmed up a fair bit today... Lots of midge clouds in the country lanes late afternoon /early evening. Absolutely perfect riding weather with that wind finally drooping.
Yeah I had a good ride today, but that wasn't my highlight.

I've just had that watching Catalunya highlights.
In general conversation someway out, so ***NOT*** a spoiler, Big Maggy B just outed himself as an NSC Geek.

He got stuck right into Boohoo, almost quoting me verbatim. :lolol: :rave:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'm a temporary refugee from the NSC Running Thread. I had a go a my first duathlon yesterday. It was a v. short one (2 x 5K runs; 1 x 15k ride) in Southsea. I was OK on the runs but struggled a bit on the cycling - 31:40 on a flat, virtually traffic-free course with a bit of an easterly wind.

Am an old git (61), with hardly any cycling background and bought an entry level (Halford's TDF) road bike (with clips) about 3 weeks ago when I realised my Trek hybrid would be somewhat outclassed.

Have any of you cycling geeks, maybe with duathlon experience, any advice as to how to improve please? I'm thinking of having another go in a few weeks. It's no fun being overtaken by a procession of guys with tri-bars on expensive looking bikes - but I'm too tight to invest in anything like that.

I won my old git category (there were only 5 of us) so wasn't a total disaster - but would like to up my average speed of 17.6mph by another 1-2 mph. The next event has a bike leg of around 20K which probably doesn't break a sweat with you guys.

Anyway - fraternal greetings from the running thread and any tips gratefully received by a bike novice.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I'm a temporary refugee from the NSC Running Thread. I had a go a my first duathlon yesterday. It was a v. short one (2 x 5K runs; 1 x 15k ride) in Southsea. I was OK on the runs but struggled a bit on the cycling - 31:40 on a flat, virtually traffic-free course with a bit of an easterly wind.

Am an old git (61), with hardly any cycling background and bought an entry level (Halford's TDF) road bike (with clips) about 3 weeks ago when I realised my Trek hybrid would be somewhat outclassed.

Have any of you cycling geeks, maybe with duathlon experience, any advice as to how to improve please? I'm thinking of having another go in a few weeks. It's no fun being overtaken by a procession of guys with tri-bars on expensive looking bikes - but I'm too tight to invest in anything like that.

I won my old git category (there were only 5 of us) so wasn't a total disaster - but would like to up my average speed of 17.6mph by another 1-2 mph. The next event has a bike leg of around 20K which probably doesn't break a sweat with you guys.

Anyway - fraternal greetings from the running thread and any tips gratefully received by a bike novice.

Your average speed was 17.6mph, and you want to go faster!?

I am afraid I cannot help.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Well firstly chapeau for winning your age group.
I doubt any of the rest of us would have done that.

You'll get faster the more you ride.
I'd start by trying and ride more consistently, if you have a computer and it has cadence then using that will help.

You need to match your desired speed, to your optimum cadence, and then use your gears accordingly.

As much as you probably don't 'need' tri-bars, they are used for a reason.
I'll hazard a guess you were riding very upright, on the top of your handlebars.

For the time being you need to get lower down, ideally hands on the drops, bum back in the saddle, chin close to the bars.
It's not comfortable but anything to reduce wind resistance will, by it's very nature, make you quicker.

Alternatively wait for IL to come along and give you some proper advise :lol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Well firstly chapeau for winning your age group.
I doubt any of the rest of us would have done that.

You'll get faster the more you ride.
I'd start by trying and ride more consistently, if you have a computer and it has cadence then using that will help.

You need to match your desired speed, to your optimum cadence, and then use your gears accordingly.

As much as you probably don't 'need' tri-bars, they are used for a reason.
I'll hazard a guess you were riding very upright, on the top of your handlebars.

For the time being you need to get lower down, ideally hands on the drops, bum back in the saddle, chin close to the bars.
It's not comfortable but anything to reduce wind resistance will, by it's very nature, make you quicker.

Alternatively wait for IL to come along and give you some proper advise :lol:

That'll do nicely for now anyway - many thanks.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
[MENTION=33116]Garry Nelson's teacher[/MENTION], mix up your training too. Do both, but change the distances and the effort you put in. Try and build up your out of the saddle time.

@IL, advise 10 to un-private his rides. Seeing what everyone does keeps me motivated. How am I supposed to see if we fly-byed?

Service tomorrow.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I was always planning to post a reminder tonight about fantasy transfers for Dwars door Vlaanderen tomorrow.

However, after today's sad events and the fact that the race might now be canceled anyway, I was in two minds whether to post or not. Seems a bit trivial in the grand scheme of things. Then I thought again and realised that if we stop doing the things we were going to do anyway then the misguided murdering scum that carry out these atrocities have won, so I am posting a reminder for fantasy transfers, and for that very reason too I hope the race does go ahead tomorrow. Thoughts and prayers are with those who have been personally affected by todays events.

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
May be late on this but come across new Bike channel on Sky (564) and Virgin (552) showing live DDV today and Gent live on Sunday with various highlights after

Jeep

Aug 1, 2003
Yep, I agree if you're running tubeless then this really should come along too. Having said that I've run my mtbs tubeless for a few years and had a some punctures, but never actually succeeded with these worms. Their deployment has always been a stage I go through en route to fitting a new tube. I've seen others use them and we're off again nice and quick. I think the issue for me is the tyre sealant dries out after about 6 months and that has left my tyre vulnerable to a little hole causing an unscheduled deflation. Fitting a worm is all well and good, but without some sealant slopping about it hasn't done it's job.

Hmm, I think I probably ought to pick up a pack and check sealant levels in the tyres.

I still shudder at the thought of road tubeless, although I probably should just grow up!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here