Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rags to riches sports films - recommendations please

Kurt Nogood

May 13, 2011
Best Shot is great film, small town school basketball team challenge for state championship, Gene Hackman is the coach.

Seems to be called Hoosiers on IMDb.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Brilliant thanks all. Seen lots of those but there are a few I should see again as they were ace. Never seen Cinderella Man, Escape to Victory or The Hurricane.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol
Rags to riches is an interesting genre, but in terms of underdog stories of different variations go with this lot...hopefully no spoilers

Bull Durham - Ron Shelton's brilliant biographical account of minor league baseball...someone gets the girl, someone gets rich.

Tin Cup - a golfing story from Ron Shelton sees his old mate Kevin Costner try out for the US Open to get the girl and of course the winner of the US Open becomes rich.

Field of Dreams - struggling farmer hears voices and builds a baseball field...someone gets rich! BTW the quote is 'If you build it, HE will come' .

We Are Marshall - Matthew McConaughy's first proper acting job :) as a University football coach who rebuilds a community after a plane crash kills the gridiron college team. I suspect lots of lawyers got rich.

The Rookie - High School teacher Denis Quaid has a go at resurrecting the baseball career he lost to injury 15 years previously...

Moneyball was an interesting shout, as they really went from rags to improved rags.

Best sports film ever:

The Natural!

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Next Goal Wins , a brilliant true story of American Samoa's world cup qualification journey in 2011 , lovely film .

here is the trailer

[yt]OIeKkjJNM6A[/yt]

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Best Shot is great film, small town school basketball team challenge for state championship, Gene Hackman is the coach.

Seems to be called Hoosiers on IMDb.

It was called Hoosiers in the US, and Best Shot over here.

Good film. Can't believe it was THIRTY odd years ago :(

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Great stuff Billy, lots on there I've not seen. I was after underdog stories actually, I just termed it wrong.

Next Goal Wins - ah yes, a mate has been telling me to watch that for a while!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Also I rewatched Bloodsport recently and it's just fantastic.

I know it's not rags to riches, and it's not technically a sport either. But it is a film.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I absolutely promise this isn't a 'you would say that' type situation, [MENTION=33965]FatSuperman[/MENTION].

But if you genuinely want decent rags to riches / underdogs triumph sports film this little shown gem has everything ramped up to 11:-

Oh and 1066 has just reminded me.
This, in cinematic terms, is as close as you'll get to a true story and how the actual events unfolded.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I absolutely promise this isn't a 'you would say that' type situation, [MENTION=33965]FatSuperman[/MENTION].

But if you genuinely want decent rags to riches / underdogs triumph sports film this little shown gem has everything ramped up to 11:-

Beat me to it SB. Cracking book and even the film does the story justice too. 100% recommend the OP watching this one.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Great stuff Billy, lots on there I've not seen. I was after underdog stories actually, I just termed it wrong.

Next Goal Wins - ah yes, a mate has been telling me to watch that for a while!

Rush ?

Not a rags to riches story, but that of the merciless 1970s rivalry between Formula One rivals James Hunt and Niki Lauda and well worth a watch.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Hi all,

As per the title, can anyone recommend some decent rags to riches / underdogs triumph sports films? I watched 'Wildcats' at the weekend, a favourite from my youth and it's got me in the mood for sports films :)

Tried to watch 'Goal' on YouTube last night but ended up watching 'fail' compilations for an hour and a half.

Dave

PS: Wildcats has not aged particularly well. A bit like Goldie Hawn I guess.

Please watch Seve even if you don't like golf

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here