Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace : who is pulling the strings?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Funny thing is over the summer all the training clips given out on the club website, were of FDB showboating with players just watching. My mate picked up on it in July and said to me " look at the players faces they really don't like him, he thinks it's all about him" and so it seems it was. Is this why some of the best players make bad managers ? They can't except they manage players not as good as they were ??

I've heard that about Hoddle too. There are rather too many stories about him showing off his skills to his players.

It's such a shame: he was probably the most gifted English footballer in my 50 years of watching football and yet his reputation among the younger generation is of someone who's a complete cock.

I don't think it's true though that great footballers make terrible managers - Guardiola's doing OK; Conte and Pocchetino had decent careers too. And our own Chris was a very decent player

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I've heard that about Hoddle too. There are rather too many stories about him showing off his skills to his players.

It's such a shame: he was probably the most gifted English footballer in my 50 years of watching football and yet his reputation among the younger generation is of someone who's a complete cock.

I don't think it's true though that great footballers make terrible managers - Guardiola's doing OK; Conte and Pocchetino had decent careers too. And our own Chris was a very decent player

i was unfortunate enough to witness hoddle "coaching" the saints once, and he behaved like a total bell!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
i was unfortunate enough to witness hoddle "coaching" the saints once, and he behaved like a total bell!

Yep. That's the story that emerges from quite a few of his clubs. If FDB is in the same vein, the situation would probably have got a lot worse

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

My first thought on reading that post was "Hoddle". He was desperately jealous of Beckham being able to hit a ball well and of Gascoigne's skill, so he set out to humiliate them on the training ground to prove that he was still the best player ever.

He then dropped Gazza from the squad and then didn't play Beckham in the first two games at the finals (he was the only player to play every qualifying match) because he "wasn't focused". Hoddle, as ever, wanted to prove that he knew better than everyone else when in reality it was all smoke and mirrors (and vanity) as he's actually really stupid.

In doing so he ruined our chances of winning the World Cup in 1998 with probably the best England team I've ever seen, as I blame Hoddle, not Beckham and always did. Beckham was very young and perhaps, had he had a manager rather than an antagonist, he may not have been so wound up as to retaliate to Simeone. Also, if he'd played all the group games and hadn't had his confidence battered, maybe we wouldn't have been playing Argentina in the first place.

When you find out more about the toxic environment Hoddle created it's hard to blame anyone but him.

The ****.

I digress, but it still annoys me.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I suppose the yanks thought that it was a no brainer that Palace could continue to scrape their way to safety in the league and that, with the new tv deal, they would be guaranteed to make money.

Firstly, they seem to have ignored the fact that they may well be relegated. Secondly, Palace made a LOSS in their last reported accounting period.

They're only on it for the money, obviously. So what happens next?

Relegation really would be Armageddon for a club set up like that financially.

My heart bleeds.

And in that scenario could be in for the Leeds Utd, Portsmouth, et al ride in coming seasons.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

Feel the same. One of my favourite players as a kid. Now, not only does he come across as a complete tool but is terminally dull as well.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
It's an interesting one.

Rivalry aside, Parish before the Yank investment seemingly was running the club well. Since then, spending appears to have been on the increase and their decline equally as evident.

Not all rosey, but where's the ultra, against modern football protests from the Palace fans. It's all very quiet over there...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
At some point Palace's luck has to run out. Now it seems they are clueless too, Parish to be fair was a good operator

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
When a chairman takes any notice of what players like Ward, Kelly and Delaney think about a manager, the tail is wagging the dog. Those three should just consider themselves lucky to be employed by a Premier League club. I doubt they'd get in a top-half Championship side. Delaney and Ward let Pardew down week after week but he kept pcking them.

AlastairWatts

Nov 1, 2009
High Wycombe
My first thought on reading that post was "Hoddle". He was desperately jealous of Beckham being able to hit a ball well and of Gascoigne's skill, so he set out to humiliate them on the training ground to prove that he was still the best player ever.

He then dropped Gazza from the squad and then didn't play Beckham in the first two games at the finals (he was the only player to play every qualifying match) because he "wasn't focused". Hoddle, as ever, wanted to prove that he knew better than everyone else when in reality it was all smoke and mirrors (and vanity) as he's actually really stupid.

In doing so he ruined our chances of winning the World Cup in 1998 with probably the best England team I've ever seen, as I blame Hoddle, not Beckham and always did. Beckham was very young and perhaps, had he had a manager rather than an antagonist, he may not have been so wound up as to retaliate to Simeone. Also, if he'd played all the group games and hadn't had his confidence battered, maybe we wouldn't have been playing Argentina in the first place.

When you find out more about the toxic environment Hoddle created it's hard to blame anyone but him.

I agree. nd what can't be forgiven or forgotten was the nonsense with the 'medium' and the publication of the his wretched book during the tournament....

Maybe he should have gone to Iceland along with Hodgson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here