Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vincent Janssen

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Played well if I recall. Great experience.

Jordan Pickford did okay as well on loan an at Preston, similar age to Sanchez as well.

Keeping it in context we are talking extreme situations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, we aren't. It might not happen often but it isn't extreme.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
No, we aren't. It might not happen often but it isn't extreme.

It is extreme a 3rd choice keeper starting in the PL.

Would be interested to see the examples, I literally can't recall any.

Fair enough if you can......

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I think #AZ Gull's post about the number of HGPs in our 25 man squad is more relevant than all the hand-wringing about whether or not we needed Krul as a 3rd. choice GK, and whether or not we've dodged a bullet with Janssen (I think we probably have, btw). Maybe the recruitment team had their heads screwed on better than some gave them credit for?

:thumbsup:

(And loving the fact that this post has been followed by about another 120 posts of "..hand-wringing about whether or not we needed Krul as a 3rd. choice GK..") :lol:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing

[MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION]

Shay Given started in 2016, only one I've found.....

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The use of the second available loan on Krul is certainly an "interesting" one, especially as we'll never know whether Janssen might have been more willing to join us on a loan basis rather than a permanent deal at such short notice (and when away on international duty).

I think there is a distinct case to be made here that what we were really scuppered by in this window was ........ Murray's non-Home Grown Player status.

Remember, up until about midday on August 31st, there was every intention that Goldson (one of our HGPs) would be going out on loan. In the absence of Krul, that would have meant we only had 7 HGPs in the squad, meaning we would only have been able to name a squad of 24. Given that since early summer we have known the club wanted 3 goalkeepers, it would have required either the third 'keeper or the new striker to be a HGP. Presumably most (all?) of the remaining striker targets were non-HGPs, meaning the 3rd keeper had to meet that criteria.

I wonder if there was any attempt by the club to make the Krul deal a permanent one? We'll probably never know. And who would have thought, a few years ago, that Albion of all clubs would be struggling to meet the HGP criteria in their Premier League squad?

Just found it. Very good point....... and TBH never even contemplated that we would be struggling in this area......

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Crikey!
Things must be bad at the Albion if he'd rather go to a festering shite hole like Turkey than come here.

Quite clearly you have no idea.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Agreed. You simply cannot see that Ryan was a poor signing, Total denial :facepalm:

The point being it is far too early to tell but you've made your mind up that Australia's number 1 is too small and not good enough for us - the first point being inconsequential and the second unproven. The way this will go now is that every save he makes will be greeted with "decent save but I'd expect a keeper to save that" and every mistake will be greeted by "see, I told you he was crap" and THAT'S why i despair of our fans sometimes - once they get their claws into a player they never let go. Stockdale had to go through this nonsense too with some, even till the day he left, refusing to admit he was decent.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agreed. You simply cannot see that Ryan was a poor signing, Total denial :facepalm:
I'll say what I've said before - you might be right, but you really can't be sure of that after THREE games. I will say that he's not been great for his national side either in recent games.

Still, personally I'll stake a view at the end of October.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

The manager tells the recruiting team what he wants, they find it, and the CEO negotiates. So really, you're blaming Hughton and/or Roberts.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'll say what I've said before - you might be right, but you really can't be sure of that after THREE games. I will say that he's not been great for his national side either in recent games.

Still, personally I'll stake a view at the end of October.

Exactly where I am. He's new to the country, the team, the league, he's had 3 games, couple of friendlies and he's a right off for some. Why do our scouts watch players for hours and hours, and yet many of our fans can decide within 4 1/2!?

He's not had a great start, he's clearly lacking some confidence, he may turn out to be a bad signing for this division, BUT, I think I'll join you in giving him a bit of time.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
The manager tells the recruiting team what he wants, they find it, and the CEO negotiates. So really, you're blaming Hughton and/or Roberts.

Yes, I don't agree from that perspective.
Don't have a problem saying that, seems a non-percentage move, nothing has happened to change my opinion. Think Sanchez is capable enough for the bench.

Hughton is a great manager, Roberts is a great coach. The criticism of Hughton from Norwich is that of being risk averse, nothing wrong with that, which perhaps explains the desire for a third experienced keeper.

Including Krul we now have 3 very competent keepers all of whom could play.

The question is if you don't play Krul is it a loan wasted? Perhaps AZ Gull got it right re HGPs.

Could the loan been used elsewhere?

Did you find any more examples?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
he did alright at Watford and the clean sheet should boost his confidence. My initial impression that he isn't imposing but clearly Hughton and the recruitment team knew his height and stature before signing him! let's see.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly where I am. He's new to the country, the team, the league, he's had 3 games, couple of friendlies and he's a right off for some. Why do our scouts watch players for hours and hours, and yet many of our fans can decide within 4 1/2!?

He's not had a great start, he's clearly lacking some confidence, he may turn out to be a bad signing for this division, BUT, I think I'll join you in giving him a bit of time.

Agree.

He did okay at Watford.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't have a problem saying that, seems a non-percentage move, nothing has happened to change my opinion. Think Sanchez is capable enough for the bench.

Hughton is a great manager, Roberts is a great coach. The criticism of Hughton from Norwich is that of being risk averse, nothing wrong with that, which perhaps explains the desire for a third experienced keeper.

The question is if you don't play Krul is it a loan wasted? Perhaps AZ Gull got it right re HGPs.

I don't need to, and you've narrowed the field somewhat. Brighton have had two examples in 4 years.

Chris Hughton knows Krul, a loan is generally only wages, and then we can sign him on a free next season.

As Andone and Dwemena showed, we wanted to buy players not borrow them. Injuries are what hurt us, not loans.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I don't need to, and you've narrowed the field somewhat. Brighton have had two examples in 4 years.

Chris Hughton knows Krul, a loan is generally only wages, and then we can sign him on a free next season.

As Andone and Dwemena showed, we wanted to buy players not borrow them. Injuries are what hurt us, not loans.

Ok even Brighton, twice in some 180 games seems extreme to me.....

Good point re Krul the future likelihood of a 'free'. Presumably we'd then release Maenppa.

Will just have to disagree re loans. How many other top level clubs (not Wigan) use loans on a GK?

PS - not doubting the bad luck we encountered.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Ok even Brighton, twice in some 180 games seems extreme to me.....

Good point re Krul the future likelihood of a 'free'. Presumably we'd then release Maenppa.

Will just have to disagree re loans. How many other top level clubs (not Wigan) use loans on a GK?

PS - not doubting the bad luck we encountered.

I have no idea. I don't take much notice of what other clubs do re; loans.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Exactly. And we were a failed medical and a very last minute deal breaker away from having just about the perfect window. So close to pulling it off.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

If you can't score them, then whatever you do don't let them in! Defence has been easier to recruit at the moment, for me it's more a case of that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here