Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Chris Hughton

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton got his team selection and tactics spot on. We made Leeds look very ordinary which, considering they'd won 6 out of 7, was no mean feat.

Every one of our players played well tonight. Good to have a proper manager in charge.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
We never know. This might be another end to the season similar to 2009/10, where we finally get our sh1t together and lay the foundations for a regal season from August onwards :thumbsup:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Just seen his interview, speaks SO much sense.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Well I thought that CMS was a daft selection and that a game against big defenders was crying out for CoG. Shows why I am not a football manager and CH is. Well done that man.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Well Mr Bloom, we now have a manager with proven ability of getting promotion from this division, so please please back him in the summer.
Make him the first manager under your control who can't moan about player recruitment.

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
I wonder if TB regrets not getting rid of Hyppia sooner

Maybe so...but Sami did have credentials and wasn't the Rookie that people are suggesting. He'd had success at Leverkusen - over a 50% win rate, I believe, before falling out of favour. He also had Champs league management experience, a knowledge of the English game from his playing days.

On paper, that was probably as strong an appointment as when we took on Poyet. I for one was quite excited.

That said, my excitement soon faded when I realised he was shit.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
All about Hughton last night. From the contribution of the player that HE brought in, to the change that he made to combat Leeds' lumbering defence, to the continuity in the rest of the side that finally has us looking like a team. An outstanding job by the gaffer. This feels a million miles away from the shambles we were under Hyppia.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I like the simplicity of what Hughton has brought to the way we play, its pretty standard stuff nothing continental or tiki taka just simple football. He is also happy to adapt the formation and style to suit who we play unlike Hyppia who stuck rigidly to his baffling team selections and undecipherable tactics and formations.

Agree with you. The only thing that baffles me about CH is his unwillingness to start with O'Grady. People on here have been praising CMS for hs performance last night, but in truth he still has an awful first touch. O'Grady came on for the last ten minutes and shows how being a striker should be done.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
All about Hughton last night. From the contribution of the player that HE brought in, to the change that he made to combat Leeds' lumbering defence, to the continuity in the rest of the side that finally has us looking like a team. An outstanding job by the gaffer. This feels a million miles away from the shambles we were under Hyppia.

What was noticeable last night is that they'd clearly addressed the issue of standing off when we've scored as happened Saturday. We were much tighter last night, and after our first, I didn't see us giving them any space, and certainly nothing like the mess we made of defending lead at the weekend.

Other highlights include creating an incredibly effective, combative, wide midfielder out of Calderon. I mean, that transformation and the clear chemistry :)love:) between him and Bruno is just a real bonus. It has to be said previous managers had always elected to put Bruno into midfield with Calderon in behind when that choice was made, and many of us probably would naturally think the same, but wow, who'd have thought it would work this well - that is a bit of managerial genius if you ask me.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agree with you. The only thing that baffles me about CH is his unwillingness to start with O'Grady. People on here have been praising CMS for hs performance last night, but in truth he still has an awful first touch. O'Grady came on for the last ten minutes and shows how being a striker should be done.
Normally I'd agree with that, and I admit I inwardly groaned when I saw CMS in the team ahead of COG. But CH had obviously worked out what we can now see in retrospect, that the Leeds defence were slow and lumbering and would be more unsettled by speed than by a physical battle with a target man centre forward. Full marks to CH, I think?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Other highlights include creating an incredibly effective, combative, wide midfielder out of Calderon. I mean, that transformation and the clear chemistry :)love:) between him and Bruno is just a real bonus. It has to be said previous managers had always elected to put Bruno into midfield with Calderon in behind when that choice was made, and many of us probably would naturally think the same, but wow, who'd have thought it would work this well - that is a bit of managerial genius if you ask me.

I think you can credit Nathan Jones with that one, as he had them playing like that before Hughton was appointed.

Aug 1, 2006
I think you can credit Nathan Jones with that one, as he had them playing like that before Hughton was appointed.

Interesting point as to how much credit Jones should get full stop for the combative style of play. The most combative and competitive performance from Albion for years and whilst there were many stars in this area, it was without doubt a complete team effort to harry and win back the ball wherever they Leeds it on the pitch. No lazy forwards, all defenders looking to turn to attack immediately. Reminded me strongly of Derby.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
This. Just to put it one way, less senior people in the club thought Hughton was going to get the job.

You're wrong.

I work with many people in football and I have known CH for over 20 years and I can assure you I am not wrong

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
I am inclined to agree with you assessment of CH. He does tend to start slowly and then get better when his players start to implement his plans. However, these wins are coming against mid table sided. Lets wait and see how we do when we come up against sides in Promotion and play off places. That will be a better gage as to wow much we are improving under him

But that is to miss the point completely. We've been losing to basement-bottom and mid-table teams all season and 2 months ago we were doomed, to start beating them is clear gauge of how we're improving, and a massive cause for celebration!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But that is to miss the point completely. We've been losing to basement-bottom and mid-table teams all season and 2 months ago we were doomed, to start beating them is clear gauge of how we're improving, and a massive cause for celebration!

I agree............I am one of Hughton's biggest fans but my ultimate aim is to be going into games where we are better than even the top teams. At the moment we are not there yet but by this time next year i am sure we will be

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Normally I'd agree with that, and I admit I inwardly groaned when I saw CMS in the team ahead of COG. But CH had obviously worked out what we can now see in retrospect, that the Leeds defence were slow and lumbering and would be more unsettled by speed than by a physical battle with a target man centre forward. Full marks to CH, I think?

I think it was more a case of Leeds' defence playing with a high line. I can't recall us getting behind a backline so many times in a single match for a good couple of seasons at least.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here