Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sam Baldock

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
If Baldock hadn't cost a fair whack of money very recently and wasn't on a long contract, you could quite imagine that this January could see all three of our strikers heading out of the club to be replaced by a new set.

As it is, you have to think the other two will be off, assuming replacements can be found.

True, Baldock also has a degree of time on his side because he's not had a huge amount of game time.

From what I've seen, he's an intelligent player and a willing runner but needs to be played more centrally.

One thing I can never work out is why, when our entire way of playing is geared towards a big front-man with strong hold up play, do we keep buying little strikers that we play on the wing. Either buy a striker we capable of doing what we want or buy a winger!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Baldock seems to be getting towards full match fitness now for the first time since he's been with us. He's a hard worker (much like CMS) but seems to have more intelligence with his runs/passing and I'd like to see him given some time up front.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
In my opinion CMS is currently still our best forward....

Baldock looks even less likely to score

So you're saying he's not going to score then. I think he will. His movement is good, and he puts in a shift. He should have passed to Solly who was in acres of space in the penalty area, when he had that chance though.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I like Baldock, works hard for the team, no sign of his head dropping. You can see why he was captain at Bristol City. Proper professional.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
True, Baldock also has a degree of time on his side because he's not had a huge amount of game time.

From what I've seen, he's an intelligent player and a willing runner but needs to be played more centrally.

One thing I can never work out is why, when our entire way of playing is geared towards a big front-man with strong hold up play, do we keep buying little strikers that we play on the wing. Either buy a striker we capable of doing what we want or buy a winger!

This, the volleyed pass he played on Saturday to set up JFC was sublime. As above needs to be played centrally, and if that spells the end for CMS then so be it. Colunga out wide or KLL when fit.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
None of our forwards are good enough imo, except maybe Colunga. COG doesn't want to stay so we are in desperate need of somebody good coming in.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patreon
Jun 26, 2009
East
I like Baldock, works hard for the team, no sign of his head dropping. You can see why he was captain at Bristol City. Proper professional.

Agreed. One thing he is definitely lacking at the moment is confidence. Get that sorted and I think he'll be a big success. (That and COG or A.N.Other target man playing regularly alongside him...)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Can anyone post a picture of the formations CMS and Baldock played before we ruined, I mean signed them?
The only way we've ruined CMS is by putting him in a team positioned approximately 20 league places higher than he is capable of playing in.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patreon
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
None of our forwards are good enough imo, except maybe Colunga. COG doesn't want to stay so we are in desperate need of somebody good coming in.

But to be fair, Baldock has hardly been given a chance yet. I like his movement and feel there is promise, but he needs a run before we can make a judgement.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Nothing to do with the formation then. Ok.
As others have said, I'm afraid it's just that CMS is gash at this level. He's done nothing under any of our Amex era managers, bar a couple of strangely sublime moments.

Baldock may prove equally rubbish, but unlike CMS, he hasn't been here four years. I wasn't best pleased when we signed him, but really did see encouraging signs in Saturday so my fingers are crossed.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
As others have said, I'm afraid it's just that CMS is gash at this level. He's done nothing under any of our Amex era managers, bar a couple of strangely sublime moments.

Baldock may prove equally rubbish, but unlike CMS, he hasn't been here four years. I wasn't best pleased when we signed him, but really did see encouraging signs in Saturday so my fingers are crossed.

I'm not defending them, I'm questioning the club for signing such players when we don't play a system that suits either of them! They might both be cack at this level but why are we spending MILLIONS on strikers we don't need? That's all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here