Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I assumed the EU wouldn't take the estranged partner/petulant teenager line and work with us to find mutually beneficial solutions. If they really are intransigent enough to put political dogma over Eu citizens welfare then so be it. I am sure the German car manufacturers and wider business are applying as much pressure as their Uk equivalents behind the scenes.

A fair point in many ways. But some of us framed Brexit as a 'lose-lose' from the outset and saw this (or something very similar) coming. As for your 'behind the scenes' comments, I think you might well have a point and I suspect that the 27 national governments might well 'have a view' which might yet influence outcomes although I'm not sure how. But let's be honest here: the Brexit campaign massively overplayed this card. In this respect the position of the Irish government is interesting as if you look at their trade pattern then the UK is their 'most significant other' but it hasn't stopped them playing hardball over the border issue.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Word on the streets, apparently Theresa has found a solution to her customs Ireland/NI Customs Union/max fac issue.

Britain would agree to maintain the common external tariff – the import tax levied on goods coming into the EU and align all its regulations with Europe’s.

But Britain would seek to opt out of the common commercial policy, which prevents member countries from negotiating independent trade deals.

So all our regulations are still controlled by the EU (with no input from us), but we can do our own trade deals. Very much like we agreed in the last minute panic back in December.

And it looks like details of the further extension are starting to firm up.

All of this, of course, would have to be agreed by the EU if the government finally agrees to put this forward as the UK option.

Hands up who voted for that ???

Looks interesting but any further details welcome - references/link?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Hands up who voted for that ???

in a holistic view, everyone: we leave EU (leavers happy) but we stay under the guidance of the EU (remainers happy). at least if we had competent politicians they might be able to spin that line, instead it will be seen as a betrayal/disaster that no one wants.

whats the solve for headline issue of immigration in this scenario? free movement stays, goes, or they apply the original rules dressed up as part of agreement?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
in a holistic view, everyone: we leave EU (leavers happy) but we stay under the guidance of the EU (remainers happy). at least if we had competent politicians they might be able to spin that line, instead it will be seen as a betrayal/disaster that no one wants.

whats the solve for headline issue of immigration in this scenario? free movement stays, goes, or they apply the original rules dressed up as part of agreement?

But I was told Brexit wasn't about immigration, was it ? :angel:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I am sure the German car manufacturers and wider business are applying as much pressure as their Uk equivalents behind the scenes.

This idea keeps coming up - even though car manufacturers have made it quite clear that they're happy to absorb the financial loss from the UK market for the longer term benefits of the single market.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-germany-bmw-elmar-brok-eu-parliament-steering-group

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/08/german-industry-warns-uk-over-brexit

Looks interesting but any further details welcome - references/link?

That's not top secret, it was in the news yesterday. It's just a re-affirmation of the December agreement

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
But I was told Brexit wasn't about immigration, was it ? :angel:

not for me, no one can deny it was a significant factor. any solution that doesnt give something is going to be difficult sell to the wider public that aren't too interested in trade.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
This idea keeps coming up - even though car manufacturers have made it quite clear that they're happy to absorb the financial loss from the UK market for the longer term benefits of the single market.

what pro-europe industry leaders say in public and private are different creatures, they just do politics well. dont believe they really would be happy with losing such a substantial market.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
what pro-europe industry leaders say in public and private are different creatures, they just do politics well. dont believe they really would be happy with losing such a substantial market.

I don't wish to appear rude, but read the bloody sentence

There is no full stop after UK :facepalm:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
A very small majority voted to leave, many would have changed their minds after this farce.
And many of the teenagers who should have been allowed to vote in the referendum will probably be old enough to vote in the next GE and most wanted to remain.
It's the kids who are mostly sick of this government for many reasons and will be old enough to vote that people like you want to worry about,
Rees Mogg and Boris in charge of the country, have a word with yourself you half wit.

Typical remainer.Realise they have lost the argument and are talking utter drivel,so resort to personal abuse.I have tried to stay polite,but you really are a 'chopper'.You consider over a million votes a very small majority?No wonder you believed all Osborne's rubbish,you yokel.:hilton:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Maybe ... but in my experience (both personally and in business), Germans tend to say what they think.

No, they wouldn't be happy about losing a substantial market (although the losses are exaggerated, Brits are going to buy cars from somewhere) but may think the losses from the destruction of the single market would outweigh the losses from the UK.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

http://uk.businessinsider.com/brexit-germany-bmw-elmar-brok-eu-parliament-steering-group

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/08/german-industry-warns-uk-over-brexit

That's not top secret, it was in the news yesterday. It's just a re-affirmation of the December agreement

900k jobs involved in Automotive manufacturing and related industries

900k families

The stakes are high, especially in areas that need these jobs most

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Maybe ... but in my experience (both personally and in business), Germans tend to say what they think.

No, they wouldn't be happy about losing a substantial market (although the losses are exaggerated, Brits are going to buy cars from somewhere) but may think the losses from the destruction of the single market would outweigh the losses from the UK.
No link I'm afraid but I recall a Quandt family spokesman saying that they would be prepared to take a heavy hit on BMW's UK investment if it meant retaining the integrity of the Single Market. I doubt he was being altruistic. It is worth remembering that it is this sort of long term thinking that has helped Germany industry get where it is. Brexiteers don't seem to understand this, assuming that a refusal to accede to UK demands results from adolescent petulance or a desire to punish the plucky Brits.

D

Deleted member 22389

Brexiteers are not plucky or British by any definition. They run away from issues instead of facing them. If they had any fight or self worth they would stand up against the things they dont like about the EU and change them. Not run away crying because they don't like it and can't get their own way.

You mean like free movement. I would like to change it, now go and ask the EU for the answer. This is the core of the problem, the EU don't listen. It's not us leavers that are the problem. End of story.

Jan 30, 2008
Brexiteers are not plucky or British by any definition. They run away from issues instead of facing them. If they had any fight or self worth they would stand up against the things they dont like about the EU and change them. Not run away crying because they don't like it and can't get their own way.
Bollocks, we faced the issue of leave or remain in the EU and we won the vote ,unfortunately there's a small minority floating around with snidey agendas trying to disrupt that procedure
regards
DR

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

You mean like people that run away from the UK because they don't have the fight or self worth to help change things for the better ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here