Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Baseball Season 2017

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
As the clocks spring forward and the sun comes out, its no coincidence that, with the aid of a football free weekend, my attention turns to the Major League Baseball Season which starts in exactly one week from today.

The Baseball Season 2016 thread (I have no idea how to attach a link) had a poll to find out who is the best supported MLB team on this message board. Ninety two NSC baseball fans voted and I was a little surprised to see it was Toronto who came clear top with 14 supporters. Next were, predictably enough, the Red Sox, and no one else managed to attract double figure support.

In 2017 the bookies have the Cubs at 13/8 to win the senior circuit and the Red Sox to win the American League at 13/5. (prices courtesy of William Hill)

So with the regular season now exactly one week away, what are everyone’s predictions for 2017 ?

My biase prevents me from voting with my head over my heart, so….

National League East -Washington
National League Central - St Louis
National League West - San Francisco
National League Wildcard - Los Angeles
National League winner - Los Angeles

American League East - Boston
American League Central - Cleveland
American League West - Seattle
American League Wildcard - New York
American League winner - New York

World Series winner - Los Angeles

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Phillies all the way

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nat'nals will win.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Cubs will be strong again, Dodgers could go well, (I hope!), but the small remnant of my pocket money would go on the Giants with a new pound coin e/w on the Cards.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As the clocks spring forward and the sun comes out, its no coincidence that, with the aid of a football free weekend, my attention turns to the Major League Baseball Season which starts in exactly one week from today.

The Baseball Season 2016 thread (I have no idea how to attach a link) had a poll to find out who is the best supported MLB team on this message board. Ninety two NSC baseball fans voted and I was a little surprised to see it was Toronto who came clear top with 14 supporters. Next were, predictably enough, the Red Sox, and no one else managed to attract double figure support.

In 2017 the bookies have the Cubs at 13/8 to win the senior circuit and the Red Sox to win the American League at 13/5. (prices courtesy of William Hill)

So with the regular season now exactly one week away, what are everyone’s predictions for 2017 ?

My biase prevents me from voting with my head over my heart, so….

National League East -Washington
National League Central - St Louis
National League winner - Los Angeles

American League West - Seattle
American League Wildcard - New York
American League winner - New York

World Series winner - Los Angeles

Thought you might like this. IMG_0024.JPG

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cleveland fell just short last time round, and their bullpen is RIDICULOUS. This season they've acquired Edwin Encarncion from Toronto which might just be enough to take them to the next level.

National League East -NY Mets
National League Central - Chi Cubs
National League winner - Cubs

American League East - Baltimore
American League West - Texas
American League Wildcard - Toronto
American League winner - Seattle

World Series winner - Cleveland

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Will be in Ontario for 3 weeks in August, and am taking in a Blue Jays game on my 30th birthday weekend. Any chance of them doing half well this season?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Will be in Ontario for 3 weeks in August, and am taking in a Blue Jays game on my 30th birthday weekend. Any chance of them doing half well this season?

Yes. They got to the American league title series before the Indians beat them. Since then, they've lost Encarnacion, although Jose Bautista is back for another year. I think they've recruited a couple of useful pitchers too, although they've annoyingly lost Cecil who was a very useful closing lefty.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Go Mets. Hoping they'll make playoffs for 3rd consecutive season, also waiting to see what will happen in the contract talks with Yoenis Cespedes.

Bookies going for Cubs at 7/2, then Red Sox and LA Dodgers at 9/1 and Washington Nationals at 12/1

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
National League East -NY Mets
National League Central - Chi Cubs
National League West - Dodgers
National League Wildcard - Nationals

American League East - Toronto
American League West - Houston
American League Wildcard - Boston
American League winner - Cleveland

World Series winner - Cubs

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

August will be a good time to go. The season will be starting to build to what will hopefully be another exciting climax. The first 100 games are pretty insignificant :lolol:

It's a good time to be a Jays fan. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] says, they've picked up some decent pitchers. Might be a bit light on batting though, which is what really cost them last year.

I fancy Cleveland to get revenge for their final game defeat in last season's World Series.

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto
National League East - Washington
National League Central - Chicago
National League West - L.A.
National League Wildcard - Marlins (W), Cards
National League winner - Chicago

American League West - Houston
American League Wildcard - Texas (W), Toronto
American League winner - Houston

World Series winner - Houston

Citrus

Seagulls over Toronto
Jul 11, 2003
Toronto

Should be there or thereabouts. Starting pitching is strong and the lineup should be decent too (I fancy Morales to do a very good job of replacing Encarnacion - he should absolutely crush in the small ballparks of the AL East). August should be exciting.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I think we could have a repeat of last season's World Series, but with the Tribe coming out on top this time.

AL East: Sox
AL Central: Indians
AL West: Mariners
Wild card: Orioles over Rangers

NL East: Nats
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Dodgers
Wild card: Giants over Cards

WS: Indians 4 Cubs 2

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Have watched a couple of Rangers' Spring Training games online. It looks the most chilled spectator activity ever invented. Cold beer in Arizona in March, escaping the northern winter, up close to the superstars. One day.

Can't see beyond the Cubs repeat in the NL. AL is wide open, if I have to pick a winner would go with the RedSox.

PG

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
National League East - Nats
National League Central - Cubs
National League West - Giants
National League Wildcard - Marlins

American League East - Red Sox
American League Central - Indians
American League West - Astros
American League Wildcard - Rangers
American League winner - Astros

World Series winner - ASTROS!

Houston man - Springer, Bregman, Altuve, Correa, Beltran as a top-five, they stay healthy.... good SP's, strong bullpen

As predicted by Sports Illustrated in 2014

10464218_10154263320520431_6241616349984624771_n.jpg

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
I can't contribute statistics or predictions but having had a passing interest for years and an affinity for the Blue Jays I'm determined that 2017 is the year I finally get to grips with it.

As the Jay's went on their extraordinary run last year I found myself wandering to the ESPN website and watching the play by plays. Fascinating and useful if you're trying to get to grips with it all.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's going to be a Cubtastic season, however in the interest of predictions ... anyone other than the Cards or Yankees.

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
Still backing the Cards before anyone else, but I plan to take in a game at Kansas City Royals this Summer, so I'll be following them with interest too (certainly worked for the Cubs last year when I went to see them).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here