Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Getting from Toronto to Buffalo

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
So for some silly reason my Girlfriend thought it would be a great idea to fly in to Toronto instead of directly in to Buffalo and then insisted there is no cost to leave a hire car in a completely different bloody country...

Turns out there is a cost with all the car hire companies I have found so far, so I am asking on advice from friendly NSC'ers.

Anyone either a) know of a cheap way to get from Toronto to Buffalo that doesn't involve shlepping in to Toronto and picking up a Grayhound for 3 hours or b)know of a car hire company based in Toronto and Buffalo that doesn't charge to leave the car in a different country?

Thanks!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd just stay in Toronto, it's a great city :smile:

I have recently looked at hiring a car and dropping it off across the border, and as you say it's not cheap. I think a lot of them require you to have a US or Canadian passport (or possibly just driving licence).

Most other options will be from downtown. There is an express train to Union Station which only takes 25 minutes. I'm pretty sure there's a train you can catch to Buffalo from there. Have a look at VIA Rail. I don't think it will be that cheap though.

Greyhound and Megabus are your other options.

Not really the answers you wanted to hear!

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
From trip advisor:
This was for renting in Buffalo and returning car to Toronto.

Hi Steady,

Welcome to the NIAGARA FALLS TRAVEL FORUM

As mentioned by GXP, your biggest issue is the fact that you are looking at an International Rental and Dropping the vehicle in another spot other than where it was picked up (these are called Drop Fees... they increase the farther you are away from the point of origin... City - Province / State - Country)... as some how the car must be returned back... even if that means being towed !!

Your options are public transit to Niagara Falls Canada (could be expensive considering there are 5 of you… and International Transfer between the two countries… Airport Shuttle isn’t usually a cheap alternative)… OR Rent a car at the airport in Buffalo, and then someone return it there (or at least back to NF NY USA) before you head onto Toronto by train or bus… OR use transit to get to NF NY and then just walk across the Rainbow Bridge (commonly done… and pretty easy)… before renting a car in NF CANADA for the remainder of your trip.

There is no decent public transport to NOTL… you’ll need a car for that portion anyhow… renting a car in Niagara Falls and dropping it off in Toronto won’t be too problematic. You’ll still be paying a drop fee… but it will be INCREDIBLY smaller than an International one.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
You might be able to get a Limo car, taxi or shuttle from Pearson direct to Buffalo, but cost will be a factor.

Coach: Megabus, Greyhound or Coach Canada from downtown Toronto.

Amtrak or Via Rail from Toronto Union station to Buffalo.

https://www.amtrak.com/maple-leaf-train
http://www.viarail.ca/en

Make sure you have your ESTA all sorted before you leave the UK. Allow an hour or two at the border for rude and surly US customs. Be prepared for fingerprinting and all manor of questioning as to why your entering the US through Canada. :thumbsup:

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
You might be able to get a Limo car, taxi or shuttle from Pearson direct to Buffalo, but cost will be a factor.

Coach: Megabus, Greyhound or Coach Canada from downtown Toronto.

Amtrak or Via Rail from Toronto Union station to Buffalo.

https://www.amtrak.com/maple-leaf-train
http://www.viarail.ca/en

Make sure you have your ESTA all sorted before you leave the UK. Allow an hour or two at the border for rude and surly US customs. Be prepared for fingerprinting and all manor of questioning as to why your entering the US through Canada. :thumbsup:

That's a point, you now need an ETA to get into Canada too.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
I imagine he's flying to Mexico and then renting a car.

If my girlfriend had anything to do with it! Flying via Georgia I think.... Was supposed to be flying direct but the airline decided to move the flight to right in the middle of the bills game... So had to make other plans.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I got an Amtrak train from Minneapolis down to Chicago a couple of months ago, which was bloody brilliant. Worked out at £95 for 2 of us (7 hour journey), it was a great way to see the American Midwest and one of the highlights of our trip. I'd DEFFO look at training it.

Cesar Chavez

Apr 17, 2012
California
What a tragic mess of travel arranging. Too many scenarios being accommodated, or attempting to be accommodated. I think you going to have to quickly decide which is more important, time or cost, then pick the travel mode. And if it's time you are stuck with the one way drop. I feel your pain having been victim to numerous travel screw ups, although mine have been airline and weather related. And weather delays in the north east could easily intervene....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
What a tragic mess of travel arranging. Too many scenarios being accommodated, or attempting to be accommodated. I think you going to have to quickly decide which is more important, time or cost, then pick the travel mode. And if it's time you are stuck with the one way drop. I feel your pain having been victim to numerous travel screw ups, although mine have been airline and weather related. And weather delays in the north east could easily intervene....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I told her it was dumb and I would just meet her in Buffalo and then I get told I am making things awkward and blah blah blah.... I am sure you know how it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here