Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rooney Rule (Chris Hughton for England)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A far bigger issue I see is the no of foreign managers and coaches in English football that stops British managers and coaches getting jobs

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just wish the media would let CH get on with his job rather than keep on about BAME. I am sure rthgatr most chairmen willemploy the man that hey consider will be the best for the job as it is their money usually that is at stake.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I just wish the media would let CH get on with his job rather than keep on about BAME. I am sure rthgatr most chairmen willemploy the man that hey consider will be the best for the job as it is their money usually that is at stake.

He's happy to 'go on about it' himself, BG

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Spot on. It's a neutral term in S Africa and used as an official racial classification in their latest census.

http://www.statssa.gov.za/census/census_2011/census_products/Census_2011_Census_in_brief.pdf

SA isnt the best place to be saying this is fine as I said they are the ones that have termed it. You wouldnt hear someone here used it as a term for someone half indian half white or half asian half white. That is the SA clasification though and historically they were discriminated against.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored as you can see its considered offensive and antiquated in the UK and the US. But I guess that makes me a "Snowflake" for pointing that out OK. Maybe we should bring back Mulatto and other classifications.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Strange how it's easy to work out who the detractors will be and easy to determine which thread they'll turn up on next.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
It worked in the NFL. There's clearly a problem and it doesn't harm anyone to try it here.

Rather like VAR in fact.

Cue: usual "PC Gone Mad" from those who use media comment as their own,

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
This is the point of the Rooney Rule, you know that or being deliberately obtuse?
So you think the best way of trying to convince people that everyone is equal, is the isolate a group of the population, and make them special cases?

FIVE managers in the English Premier League are English. Where is the call for rules to be brought in to make clubs interview English candidates? Or would that no be P.C?

Why are we not making is a rule that x amount of Gay people should be interviewed or part of the squad?

Is all gone mad. Stop looking at people and treating them different because of the colour of their skin. Like it or not, BAME IS making an issue out of the colour of someones skin. If someone is good enough for the job, they will get it. There is too much money in football these days for someone not to get a job because they are black. FFS get over it!

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Then its tokenism. How patronising is it, too interview someone because they are black? If they were one of the best candidates for the job, they should interviewed anyway, but does that mean the FA would have interviewed Chris at the time Sam Alidyce took over, and then again when Southgate got the job, just because he was the highest ranked black manager, albeit at a Championship side, even though he had no chance of getting the job? What happens is no suitable qualified BAME candidate applies for the role. Do they have to go an convince one to apply, just to be PC?

No.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So you think the best way of trying to convince people that everyone is equal, is the isolate a group of the population, and make them special cases?

FIVE managers in the English Premier League are English. Where is the call for rules to be brought in to make clubs interview English candidates? Or would that no be P.C?

Why are we not making is a rule that x amount of Gay people should be interviewed or part of the squad?

Is all gone mad. Stop looking at people and treating them different because of the colour of their skin. Like it or not, BAME IS making an issue out of the colour of someones skin. If someone is good enough for the job, they will get it. There is too much money in football these days for someone not to get a job because they are black. FFS get over it!

Yes.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
SA isnt the best place to be saying this is fine as I said they are the ones that have termed it. You wouldnt hear someone here used it as a term for someone half indian half white or half asian half white. That is the SA clasification though and historically they were discriminated against.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colored as you can see its considered offensive and antiquated in the UK and the US. But I guess that makes me a "Snowflake" for pointing that out OK. Maybe we should bring back Mulatto and other classifications.

You said that "coloured" was an offensive term in S Africa. Specifically in that country, it isn't and I've shown you that. If you had said in your original post that it is an offensive term in the UK you would be right and I would never use that word to describe black British people but you didn't say the UK, you said it was an offensive term in S Africa and you were completely wrong.

It doesn't make you a snowflake for pointing out the blindingly obvious about how offensive the term is elsewhere, it just shows that you're a dab hand at being able to conjure up a strawman argument.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
If more black players took their coaching badges there'd be more black managers , simple.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
You said that "coloured" was an offensive term in S Africa. Specifically in that country, it isn't and I've shown you that. If you had said in your original post that it is an offensive term in the UK you would be right and I would never use that word to describe black British people but you didn't say the UK, you said it was an offensive term in S Africa and you were completely wrong.

It doesn't make you a snowflake for pointing out the blindingly obvious about how offensive the term is elsewhere, it just shows that you're a dab hand at being able to conjure up a strawman argument.

They guy was asking why cant he use the term so i answered sorry it wasnt a perfect answer and it was used in a derogatory way they also segregated for "coloureds" in SA just because they still use it in SA and choose to use "African" for Black doesnt change that. I was called a snowflake so there is that...

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
They guy was asking why cant he use the term so i answered sorry it wasnt a perfect answer and it was used in a derogatory way they also segregated for "coloureds" in SA just because they still use it in SA and choose to use "African" for Black doesnt change that. I was called a snowflake so there is that...

Fair enough, I didn't catch the earlier conversation so clearly missed the context there. You're right that you can't use coloured to describe someone in the UK because it's regarded by black people as offensive and to be honest, that's really the over-riding rule - use a description that people are happy to be referred by. It's okay in SA because it has a specific reference, it's a big no-no elsewhere and if you're a snowflake for following that rule then I must be one too.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

That is not true, I didn’t ask why I couldn’t use the term, I was stating that as CH is mixed race, in SA he would be classified as coloured not black. In the U.K. mixed race is black.

If Chris is black, then so is Ryan Giggs, ergo he is (as of today I understand) the home nation’s first black manager. Equally other mixed race players such as Oxlade Chamberlain and Barkley are also black so they can be BAME candidates too.

This approach seems imprecise to me as it ignores the nature of mixed ethnicities but that is the current orthodoxy and will complicate the application of the Rooney Rule if it goes ahead...........frankly in my view SA are right to make the distinction, notwithstanding the historical difficulties tied up with the word “coloured”.

Orthodoxies are there to be challenged not just accepted, that is all this is about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here