Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Need advice on affordable old cars

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When you said old cars I was expecting 1960s Morris Minor or Ford Prefect. Not Japanese they are not old., any pre 1980 I doubt it as the original ones were rust buckets.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
My Ford Capri rotted into dust even as I was driving away from the dealer when I bought it. But it looked good after I added the whip ariel, front spots, spoilers, furry dice, fake sheepskin nylon seat covers...... Those were the days!!!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Selling my old BMW 316i lux E30 shape 1990.
Future classic. Good knick.
It has a sunroof!

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you can get away with 2 seats then go for Mk1 Mazda MX5 the one with the pop up headlights.
Get a British made 1.8.One that has been looked after and has a good roof or maybe even a hard roof for the winter.
I had one in British racing green.
Whar a brilliant car it was, great to drive and goes round corners like it is on rails.
It is so good that even the latest model still has most of the Mk1 engineering.
No rust and very reliable.
And I dont want to hear any hairdressers/women's car nonsense, it is the new MGB roadster for enthusiasts except you can drive it and not spend most of the time staring at the engine and scratching your head.

Last edited:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
If you can get away with 2 seats then go for Mk1 Mazda MX5 the one with the pop up headlights.
Get a British made 1.8.One that has been looked after and has a good roof or maybe even a hard roof for the winter.
I had one in British racing green.
Whar a brilliant car it was, great to drive and goes round corners like it is on rails.
It is so good that even the latest model still has most of the Mk1 engineering.
No rust and very reliable.
And I dont want to hear any hairdressers/women's car nonsense, it is the new MGB roadster for enthusiasts except you can drive it and not spend most of the time staring at the engine and scratching your head.

Looks a reasonable price but I am not a fan of soft tops (which most of them appear to be)

Looking at a Mini Mayfair / Mini Cooper 1991 / Mini Rio 1993 - not sure which is best, etc etc

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Looks a reasonable price but I am not a fan of soft tops (which most of them appear to be)

Looking at a Mini Mayfair / Mini Cooper 1991 / Mini Rio 1993 - not sure which is best, etc etc
My dad had a Cooper and absolutely loved it. On that not very scientific basis, this is the ONE.

:)

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I know what you mean about soft tops, if you have on street parking its a worry, cold frosty mornings are uncomfortable and a poor one can leak, some 2nd hand MX5's come with a hard top which sorts all that out.
However, on a sunny day zooming around the country lanes and down to the beach you would be so pleased you got one, this brilliant car puts a huge grin on your face.
There are also so many classy accessories for it you can spend years improving its looks and performance.
If I had the chance I would have it back in a heartbeat, if I had the money I would get the latest model tomorrow, its not the best selling roadster ever for no reason.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Classic Mini would be my choice from your list. They are fetching really good money at the moment as well.

Lots of fun to drive too!

Good advice, recommend a car that's will cost him above the odds at present.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If you are thinking older cars like a Capri for example, is it not best to go for one that has been renovated to a very high standard, if not you may be buying whole heaps of trouble.
Problem is that properly renovated cars are expensive, or are there many good ones still out there.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Selling my old BMW 316i lux E30 shape 1990.
Future classic. Good knick.
It has a sunroof!

Good luck with that, I had a similar 318i a while ago, and that was a great car drive.

Still prefer that shape to the newer 3 series, and they go for a lot of money on Ebay.

Just a shame the suspension started to go, as it was costing me a fortune at MOT time.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If you are thinking older cars like a Capri for example, is it not best to go for one that has been renovated to a very high standard, if not you may be buying whole heaps of trouble.
Problem is that properly renovated cars are expensive, or are there many good ones still out there.

Agreed. One my worst ever buys was an Audi Quattro Coupe Turbo 4 wheel drive . A good well maintained one was about £10k at the time. I bought one for £2.5K expecting to have to spend some to get it right. After 18 months and a few grand down the road I sold it for what I paid for it and bought a 5 year old Golf GTI. Fantastic car. Sold it with 170,000 miles on the clock and it still ran really well.Totally reliable.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Agreed. One my worst ever buys was a Audi Quattro Coupe Turbo 4 wheel drive . A good well maintained one was about £10k at the time. I bought one for £2.5K expecting to have to spend some to get it right. After 18 months and a few grand down the road I sold it for what I paid for it and bought a 5 year old Golf GTI. Fantastic car. Sold it with 170,000 miles on the clock and it still ran really well.Totally reliable.

I would not think twice about buying a well maintained and serviced German car that has done 100,000 +.We had an R reg BMW 323i from new and I swear it was as good at 100k as it was when we bought it.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Capri - looks like a fish, moves like a fish - steers like a cow......

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Cheers for the help guys, I am looking at a £4000/5000 budget limit, I have only heard mixed views on the capris and only good things about the classic minis (unless theres things people aren't telling)

And also the max engine size I am looking for is a 1.4/1.6

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here