Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No parkrun, but a small run yesterday morning and then 8.1 miles up and down the riverbank this morning. Checked out the beginning of the Darkstar route for those poor sods next weekend!

Finally getting back in the groove...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just seen the pictures from Saturday’s Sussex League X Country at Coombes Farm. I’m now able to enter with my UKA membership but declined due to the BM plan. BUT happy to see that the woman, who not only chicked me last autumn but toyed with my pace along the seafront for 3 miles, was leading the way up the hill in a Phoenix vest.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm going to break with convention and ask about running shoes. I've been in Asics for ages, but the past two pairs of trail shoes have failed after about 200-300 miles each (both different faults – first one acknowledged as a manufacturing problem and pretty sure the second one will be too), which means I'm inclined to change. Now, I'd be the first to say 'go to a shop and try a load on but a) I don't really know the best place that has a good selection (The Jog Shop, as far as I know, has mainly road runners) and b) I don't really have the time to fanny about with it.

So, does anyone have any experience of changing to a shoe from Asics or, failing that, can anyone suggest decent trail shoes that I can get online? I know it's a bit like a can of worms, but I just thought I'd ask.

Ta.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I've just discovered parkrun has made its way over to Canada and has an event not far from my house. Looking forward to my first event.... when the weather improves (-20 here this morning!)

http://www.parkrun.ca/beachstrip/

That's a nice place to run (when it's not -20!) I did the Ragnar Niagara relay race last year and it went along that way.

It's a shame there aren't any parkruns in Toronto.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'm going to break with convention and ask about running shoes. I've been in Asics for ages, but the past two pairs of trail shoes have failed after about 200-300 miles each (both different faults – first one acknowledged as a manufacturing problem and pretty sure the second one will be too), which means I'm inclined to change. Now, I'd be the first to say 'go to a shop and try a load on but a) I don't really know the best place that has a good selection (The Jog Shop, as far as I know, has mainly road runners) and b) I don't really have the time to fanny about with it.

So, does anyone have any experience of changing to a shoe from Asics or, failing that, can anyone suggest decent trail shoes that I can get online? I know it's a bit like a can of worms, but I just thought I'd ask.

Ta.

Got mine (Salomon) in Run - think he had a few brands and certainly is knowledgable about ASICS (my preferred road shoe).

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Got mine (Salomon) in Run - think he had a few brands and certainly is knowledgable about ASICS (my preferred road shoe).

I tried a pair of Salomon trail shoes at a trail race I was doing last year. Very comfortable with good grip and stability.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Got Salomon speed cross IV or 4. Good grip and light but the narrow fit may be a problem for you. Best to try on first. Read that the goretex version make your feet wet from sweat and so went for normal.

Must be a good shoe as they flew up Mt Caburn at the end of last years Moyleman.......

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Cheers guys. I'm need to pop to Worthing, so I'll have a look in that branch and see what they say.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Ta.
Inov-8, great range, fantastic grip on wet downland gloop (roclites, terraclaws in particular) and last AGES. Sizing comes up 'normal' so almost certainly stick to what you'd get in Asics. Usually plenty of deals online.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Got out for the first time this year today. I could tell I'd been moping around the house hoovering up the Christmas food as it was hard work.

I'm just glad I'm finally well enough to get going again.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Got out for the first time this year today. I could tell I'd been moping around the house hoovering up the Christmas food as it was hard work.

I'm just glad I'm finally well enough to get going again.

Good to have another one of us on the way back. Good luck with the recovery :thumbsup:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Good to have another one of us on the way back. Good luck with the recovery :thumbsup:

Cheers, I'm going to ease back in gently, get my legs used to running again, and get my stamina back before I do anything stupid like intervals or hill repeats.

Need to get back into my stretching and yoga routines too.

Codner's Crackpipe

Feb 25, 2005
Inov-8, great range, fantastic grip on wet downland gloop (roclites, terraclaws in particular) and last AGES. Sizing comes up 'normal' so almost certainly stick to what you'd get in Asics. Usually plenty of deals online.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Second that, wouldn’t use owt else when I head off road. I have a pair of terraclaws for when it’s firm underfoot and x-talons for when it gets more agricultural, both really fun to run in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just survived an ill advised sudden increase in mileage. Front and middle of thigh went on Monday's recovery run. Iced immediately and then spent yesterday with the hard knobbly roller. Woke up with painful yellow bruising from the roller but the quads were working again. Took the quads on a test run over the Downs this morning where the salomons loved the slime and got to see a teeny weeny splattering of snow. Beautiful Sussex!

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
Back out again today, just a little bit further, just under five miles at a stodgy-feeling pace. It is noticeable that my average running heart rate is higher than before I was hospitalised, it clearly doesn't take much inactivity to lose a bit of conditioning.

D

Deleted member 2719

So far, so good.

Knocked a whole minute off my 3 X 2k time this morning. :O

Wet and drizzly, would that help oxygen uptake???

D

Deleted member 2719

Me this morning.

Attachments

• Deer gif.gif
    Deer gif.gif
    466.2 KB · Views: 84

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
After 153 Parkruns over 11 years I plan to make my Preston Park debut tomorrow. Will jog there and back, if I can find where Brighton is, and get in an easy 26"-29" as part of the plan for a 50 mile week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here