Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Driving wrong way on a motorway

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
All the tests and retests in the world will not stop people making a mistake whether they be 20. 40 60 or 80 years of age. The surprising things is that even though it had foreign plates so used to driving on the right why didnt they realise that they were the only car travelling in that direction.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Looks like we are all in agreement that there should be at least frequent mandatory testing for the very elderly.

Unfortunately, I don't think we could subsidise nor expect the elderly to pay for these tests. As sad as it is, perhaps they should not be allowed on the roads at all.

Self driving cars are close to becoming a reality, so it's a short term problem anyway - but as mental and physical health deteriation affects ALL people in their 80's, a blanket ban could save many lives.

I'm not sure that their independence is a fair argument against it either... the elderly has subsidised homes and bus passes. The modern world is designed for the disabled. I don't think they necessarily have to lose any independence if we take away their right to drive.

Where can I get one of these subsidised homes please and when will I be eligible? Elderly and disabled do not go together. It's a bit glib to assume elderly people would not lose any independence. Mental and physical deterioration can affect people of any age. Self driving cars are not close to a reality at all - still just a project. In fact when would you like to categorise people as elderly? You don't even get a bus pass at 65 these days. I think you have got carried away with your own rhetoric on this one. As to not letting them drive at all, they may drive irritatingly slowly at times, but current plans are more around young driver restrictions to protect themselves and other road users. Mind you, none of it will matter when the Valley Gardens 'improvements' are completed as cars won't be moving anywhere in Brighton!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
God it's worse than I'd have guessed. I imagined they went the wrong way down a slip road and hit someone, but they're actually dodging traffic and still going! FFS.

Not sure that they are actually doing the dodging it’s the oncoming cars doing that!

D

Deleted member 2719

Although I agree with compulsory testing for drivers over a certain age I also agree with stoning for people texting on their mobile phone.

Who kill most people???

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
"The driver and passenger in the Subaru, both in their 80s"

I can only assume the elderly driver got confused and went the wrong way.

wiping out the life of an innocent young person.

The unspeakable issue of very elderly drivers facing no periodic tests of driving abilities/eyesite. Too many million votes, so politicians won't dare touch the subject.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
In my experience, the overwhelming majority of fatal and / or serious injury RTCs involve young drivers (typically males under 25 but increasingly females too).

If we really want to reduce casulaties on our roads this is the demographic that needs to be targeted.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
wiping out the life of an innocent young person.

The unspeakable issue of very elderly drivers facing no periodic tests of driving abilities/eyesite. Too many million votes, so politicians won't dare touch the subject.

What evidence is there that the actions of the driver had anything to do with their age?

If it were a 43 year old would you be calling for a ban/test for all drivers aged 43?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Retest for everyone every 10 years, 5 years over 65, 2 years over 80.

If you fail you have 3 months 'grace' to resit and pass or you lose your licence.

Why should the fact that you once passed a test (possibly years ago and to different standards) allow you to continue driving for ever ? Everyone should have to regularly prove they are capable and not a danger to other road users.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Looks like we are all in agreement that there should be at least frequent mandatory testing for the very elderly.

Unfortunately, I don't think we could subsidise nor expect the elderly to pay for these tests. As sad as it is, perhaps they should not be allowed on the roads at all.

Self driving cars are close to becoming a reality, so it's a short term problem anyway - but as mental and physical health deteriation affects ALL people in their 80's, a blanket ban could save many lives.

I'm not sure that their independence is a fair argument against it either... the elderly has subsidised homes and bus passes. The modern world is designed for the disabled. I don't think they necessarily have to lose any independence if we take away their right to drive.

Is the allegation that the elderly cause more deaths driving than the youth

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
In my experience, the overwhelming majority of fatal and / or serious injury RTCs involve young drivers (typically males under 25 but increasingly females too).

If we really want to reduce casulaties on our roads this is the demographic that needs to be targeted.

Do you think that is because younger drivers take more risks or because they are less experienced ?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

That's always reeled out when old people slaughter others on the roads.

What about dealing with both issues separately and seriously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well I guess the compulsory tests should apply in other countries too.

We could exert our influence inside the EU to make it happen in Europe.

Oh.

And if we decide to come down hard after Brexit, with the EU unwilling to get tough, just imagine how much fun it will be doing the paperwork so we can drive in France, once the EU have reciprocated/retaliated. Wrong thread, I know, but it was someone else who brought up the fact these were foriegners.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

What about dealing with both issues separately and seriously.

Could always introduce prescription windscreens for the visually impaired driver.
It'll probably be a shock at first, for drivers that see a massive pair of eyes coming at them, on the other side of the road :shrug:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Do you think that is because younger drivers take more risks or because they are less experienced ?

For both those reasons, plus there is often an element of'showing off' to impress mates / girlfriends. More collisions seem to occur in the evenings when they are '4 up' than during the day whilst driving solo, going to work or college. And it is during the day when roads tend to be more busy. Less drink-driving than the older generation but certainly more 'distracted driving' ( ie using phones to speak or text - although this seems to be more prevelant amongst females). Not scientific - just observations.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

I don't recognise this phenomena of old people slaughtering others on the roads that you refer to.

If we really want to reduce road casulaties my top priorities would be:

Young drivers (17 -24)
Foreign HGV drivers
Motorcyclists

Having said that, I believe a driving licence in this country is way to easy to get and far too hard to lose.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Perhaps anyone, whatever age, should have to resist their test if they get banned, and everyone, whatever age, should have to resist every 5 years.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here